IGNORED

Chinese Brand L.K.S. Audio MH-DA002 ESS9018 * 2

I have also checked with Soundaware about DSD128 for the D100Pro, but they indicated that there was no market and hence had no intention to provide DSD128 support

Hi Alan,

Yes, Soundaware in fact didn't want to provide firmware upgrade to enable even dsd64 initially.

• 3 months later...

Any news or opinion about this DAC, looks good

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

My first impression when comparing the LKS to the Mytek with DSD feeds was that the LKS sounded slightly more detailed and provided a somewhat fuller sound.

This was when I fed the Mytek through its USB2 input.

Meanwhile, I am using the Mytek's SDIF DSD (Mastering version) input. This is a new ball game and very hard to beat sound wise for DSD.

I have also been trying to feed the LKS via its I2S connection from a Soundaware D100 Pro which is externally clocked by a rubidium clock, thinking that it may levels the playing field a bit more. Unfortunately I am having issues with the I2S input and only get distorted sound from the Soundaware D100. Hopefully Soundaware will have a solution later this week.

I have not listen much to the LKS DAC fed with PCM.

alan

My first impression when comparing the LKS to the Mytek with DSD feeds was that the LKS sounded slightly more detailed and provided a somewhat fuller sound.

This was when I fed the Mytek through its USB2 input.

Meanwhile, I am using the Mytek's SDIF DSD (Mastering version) input. This is a new ball game and very hard to beat sound wise for DSD.

I have also been trying to feed the LKS via its I2S connection from a Soundaware D100 Pro which is externally clocked by a rubidium clock, thinking that it may levels the playing field a bit more. Unfortunately I am having issues with the I2S input and only get distorted sound from the Soundaware D100. Hopefully Soundaware will have a solution later this week.

I have not listen much to the LKS DAC fed with PCM.

Volent Audio in Hong Kong is the Hong Kong dealer of L.K.S. products.

VOLENT Audio - VOLENT Speakers, L.K.S DAC

It has launched a femto clock mod for the L.K.S. Dual-ESS9018 Dac.

A Crystek 575 Series femto clock chip is used on a proprietary small clock board with discrete-component psu circuit for the 575.

The cost is not high but improvement quite obvious in all aspects.

This femto clock mod can be used for other gears that employ ESS9018 chip (such as Oppo BDP...etc).

101029cilnc4l4ddau7727.jpg

Volent Audio in Hong Kong is the Hong Kong dealer of L.K.S. products.

VOLENT Audio - VOLENT Speakers, L.K.S DAC

It has launched a femto clock mod for the L.K.S. Dual-ESS9018 Dac.

A Crystek 575 Series femto clock chip is used on a proprietary small clock board with discrete-component psu circuit for the 575.

The cost is not high but improvement quite obvious in all aspects.

This femto clock mod can be used for other gears that employ ESS9018 chip (such as Oppo BDP...etc).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10749[/ATTACH]

Have you heard LKS DAC with this new femto clock? Impressions?

I have just ordered one for me :)

Hi CK, I have been in touch with Ben Lau who was very helpful and have ordered the Femto clock upgrade too. Hope I could put it all together :)

Hi Alan,

Yes, Ben is very friendly.

You may ask him to send you photos of the jumper positions and clock wire connection for you to follow.

BTW the femto clock needs burn-in.

Last but not least, replacing the original IEC socket by a Furutech gold-plated one can give richer mid & treble. This is not difficult too.

Cheers,

CK

The Femto clock and the Furutech upgrade was easy and worth the little extra. I hope there are more upgrades available for this wonderful DAC.

A different tube PS would be a great upgrade. Perhaps the Ifi Iusb would be a good addition also?

Hi Alan,

Yes, Ben is very friendly.

You may ask him to send you photos of the jumper positions and clock wire connection for you to follow.

BTW the femto clock needs burn-in.

Last but not least, replacing the original IEC socket by a Furutech gold-plated one can give richer mid & treble. This is not difficult too.

Cheers,

CK

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

The Femto clock and the Furutech upgrade was easy and worth the little extra. I hope there are more upgrades available for this wonderful DAC.

A different tube PS would be a great upgrade. Perhaps the Ifi Iusb would be a good addition also?

Yes, the LKS has great potential for further mod.

This is one of the seriously modded LKS that I have listened to :

04.jpg

06.jpg

05.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yes, the LKS has great potential for further mod.

This is one of the seriously modded LKS that I have listened to :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10789[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10790[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10791[/ATTACH]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two LT1086s??? These are eay too noisy can blow the whole board with their current rating!!!

Not a serious mod that is guided by principle!

fmak

I count six in the bottom photo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two LT1086s??? These are eay too noisy can blow the whole board with their current rating!!!

Not a serious mod that is guided by principle!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I count six in the bottom photo.

Yes, I only looked at the clock jpg.

The mod is not worthwhile unless much better regulators are used. By using the large LTs, there is a risk of total

burn out as the current limit level is way too hard.

fmak

Sorry I wrote that wrong ... Meant to say 220v at 60Hz.

Wrong, 50 Hz and 220 and 230V is neither here or there; any difference depends on the +- band which is wide for the 230V standard. My UK voltage can be 245V and utilities are lousy in keeping mains standards.

fmak

I am considering this DAC and have been in contact with Ben Lau at Volent in HK. Could anyone give me an idea of how it sounds, the build quality, Op Amp combinations, etc. I currently have an Audio-GD NFB-7 fed through a Sotm USB/SPDIF converter from my Mac Mini and am looking to add DSD capability and try something new. My system is tube based and I am looking for a sound closer to my VPI Classic 1 turntable and Triode Corp tube phono stage. I have some concerns about moving to all OpAmp based output stages as I have read greatly varying reviews of their sound.

Additionally, it has been suggested that the two large transformers be replaced with 3 smaller encapsulated ones, does anyone have any experience of this mod?

Lastly, I have been trying to contact ArcadiaDA to ask for details on their version of this DAC, but have received no reply. Does anyone know if they are still in business?

Thanks to all for your help.

Hi everyone,

I have just purchased this DAC out of curiosity and have been using it for some 2 weeks now. This DAC is paired with the Mac Mini (source), Classe CAP-80 integrated amplifier & KEF Q300. The introduction of the DAC has made the vocals and midrange more forward-sounding and covering some of the subtle background instruments in some of the music. Can anyone advise which upgrades to the DAC can I achieve a better sonic balance and have a smoother and lush sound? Will the Femto clock upgrade helps? I am using the stock USB cable at the moment. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

APPLE Mac Mini | HUAWEI S5700 Dual OCXO Network Switch | SONORE opticalRENDU | SINGXER SU-6 | HOLO AUDIO MAY L3 | CLASSÉ CAP-80 | RAIDHO X-1

DENON DP-300F + NAGAOKA MP-110 • NAIM Muso QB • YAMAHA YSP-2700

APPLE MacBook Pro | TOPPING 10s | KINKI STUDIO THR-1 | HIFIMAN Arya