IMAGE_4.jpeg

_MG_9999.JPG

No problem on DSD128 playback

_MG_0008.JPG

photo of inside (changeable opamp * 4) , you can see two ESS9018 chips inside

20130929_154857.jpg

PK with Teac UD501

20130929_154923.jpg

For sq, It much better than Mytek DSD192 Stereo and Benchmark DAC2 HGC which two I used have before, ran less than 30 hours, LKS compare with fully modified TEAC (modified costs over USD500) the LKS sound wider and TEAC have thicker sound.

The mean point is LKS only costs around USD800.

Anthony

Many thanks Anthony. I had some of my Hong Kong friends giving me their impression of the new L.K.S. ES9018. Here is what one wrote to me:

we tested the LKS x2 dac last month. For the price, you can't complain. Probably same level as Mytek, Antelope, W4S etc.

Even after run in, it still sounds "hard", not as dynamic or air-ish as i was hoping. It has the depth tho. Overall the sound is a bit fat and sluggish, which might sound a bit tube like, aka more "analogue" ish.

it is around 4800rmb, there are no alternatives in the market.

This is quite interesting as it points towards an analog like sound. And as it was said the price is unbeatable

alan

Here is the official distributor of LKS in Hong Kong:

Musound(L.K.S Audio)

Musound(L.K.S Audio)

This LKS dual-ess9018 dac is a very hot item in Hong Kong lately.

Several friends & me compared it with dac several times more expensive : Mytek; Benchmark DAC2; Meitner MA-1; Invicta. The LKS is IMHO better than most of them.

The result is that there are now many used Mytek on sale in '2nd hand' forums in Hong Kong.

A hifi magazine friend of mine borrowed the LKS for 1 day. He then sold his Meitner MA-1 immediately and bought a LKS. He commented that MA-1 was more musical but LKS better in dynamics & soundstageing & 3D images. However the C/P ratio difference is just too large.

I own a MSB Platinum IV Plus but also bought a LKS for my secondary CAS system.

Here is the official distributor of LKS in Hong Kong:

Musound(L.K.S Audio)

Musound(L.K.S Audio)

This LKS dual-ess9018 dac is a very hot item in Hong Kong lately.

Several friends & me compared it with dac several times more expensive : Mytek; Benchmark DAC2; Meitner MA-1; Invicta. The LKS is IMHO better than most of them.

The result is that there are now many used Mytek on sale in '2nd hand' forums in Hong Kong.

A hifi magazine friend of mine borrowed the LKS for 1 day. He then sold his Meitner MA-1 immediately and bought a LKS. He commented that MA-1 was more musical but LKS better in dynamics & soundstageing & 3D images. However the C/P ratio difference is just too large.

I own a MSB Platinum IV Plus but also bought a LKS for my secondary CAS system.

Yes, I saw your post on a Chinese forum.

Does LKS Audio have an internet site? I found a Chinese site with the same name, but they sell pro stuff.

I am trying to find information if they have a distributor in Singapore or Indonesia (where I am based). Do you know?

It seems different not only regarding the transformers (your picture vs. site picture).

This is the LKS dual-9018 dac that Anthony and I have : Musound(L.K.S Audio)

The only recent change is the two naked toroid transformers are replaced by three green encapsulated toroid transformers. The main circuit board and the Amanero COMBO384 usb card are the same.

This green-transformer version has internal 110V/220V switches to enable usage overseas. The HK distributor Ben told me that he had received orders from Canada too.

The LKS audio seems to be an boutique operation, rather surprising considering China is usually factory and churning out units is usually the order of the day. My order required down payment and a wait for a month or two....

I understand the box is changing, unit being more expensive by appox USD25 to cover this change. The unit may also be upgraded.....that is my personal view as the designer still seems to be voicing the power supply section.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

It seems to me different from the picture on the web site:

Your picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8226[/ATTACH]

Site picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8227[/ATTACH]

Hi Espirit,

There is only one version of the main circuit board.

However, the four original opa1612 opamps are on opamp sockets. The dac designer encourages owners to have fun and tweaking by opamp-rolling. It's plug and play because of the opamp sockets on the circuit board. Very convenient!

I guess the minor diff in the photos are due to diff opamps installed.

For example, I have tried Muses02, LME49710/49720 and Newclassd discrete opamps on my LKS dac.

Opamp rolling has been very useful in my EE Minimax DACs, which are also Hong Kong products. It can significantly improve the sound of a DAC. Doug Schroeder has extensively written about it in his Audio Blast column on Dagogo. I think this is certainly an advantage of the LKS DAC.

alan

Two, three, again two... ;)

Hi Espirit,

Yes, it's a bit confusing. If you have interest to buy one, please email Ben or LKS directly.

What's the voltage of the mains in Italy? The green 3-transformer version is more convenient for you because the input mains voltage is easily switchable.

According to Ben, all his LKS dac stock had sold out. The coming lot that he has ordered will arrive in mid Oct. He requests for 2-transformer version which is 220V and suitable for use in Hong Kong.

As an aside; if I recall correctly Hong Kong is 220v at 50Hz so quite different from EU.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

As an aside; if I recall correctly Hong Kong is 220v at 50Hz so quite different from EU.

Sorry I wrote that wrong ... Meant to say 220v at 60Hz.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.