IGNORED

Pathology?

So I'm looking at buying a download of Mahler's 1st from High Definition Tape Transfers and I wondered how many versions I already had. To my surprise I now have 8 versions in my library and one on CD that I didn't bother ripping because I hated the performance.

Is anyone else exhibiting this level of obsessive behavior? Just curious.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

.........one on CD that I didn't bother ripping because I hated the performance.

Are you sure you had the Glenmorangie 10yo dialed in properly when you came to that conclusion?

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Are you sure you had the Glenmorangie 10yo dialed in properly when you came to that conclusion?

The Glenmorangie is a dead soldier. Need to change my signature. Now drinking High West Rye. The one I didn't rip was the Bernstein 1967.

I don't feel nearly as obsessive now. Guess i will download my 9th Mahler's 1st.

Hey Musicophile what's your favorite Brahms 1st version? I only have 4 and I like Horenstein.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

I don't feel nearly as obsessive now. Guess i will download my 9th Mahler's 1st.

That-a-boy.

And remember, your facilitators are always here to help in moments of weakness.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

So I'm looking at buying a download of Mahler's 1st from High Definition Tape Transfers and I wondered how many versions I already had. To my surprise I now have 8 versions in my library and one on CD that I didn't bother ripping because I hated the performance.

Take two James Taylor albums and call me in the morning ; >}

Enjoy the music.

Best,

Richard

But do you have the DSD version from Blue Coast?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Given my experience of other Blue Coast Recordings and despite owning the Hybrid SACD edition, I intend to reach in my pocket for this edition. I have not yet been disappointed. Tomorrow is the last day for buy one get one free.

Best,

Richard

Well I don't know who you talked to, but here's the link.

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/product.php?pid=6891

Here's the description:

Mahler Symphony No. 1/Eschenbach/Houston Symphony Orchestra/ 24/96

Part Number: HDDL366 24/96

Title: Mahler Symphony No.1

Artist(s): Christoph Eschenbach/Houston Symphony Orchestra

Recording Info: Used for transfer is the original 16 bit master on

Betamax converted to analog using a

Sony PCM501ES Digital processor feeding a

Antelope Audio Eclipse 384 analog to digital converter

and converted to 24/96 resolution.

Recorded Live at Jones Hall, Houston, Texas, 1987

DISCOUNTED PRICE: 16 BIT DIGITAL MASTER USED

FOR THIS TRANSFER

Don't be put off on this recording because of it's 16/44 origins this is a

true natural sounding audiophile recording. People that regularly attend

live concerts will really appreciate this recording. It was recorded using

minimal miking and has all the attributes of great sound and the extra

energy of a live recording. The dynamics of this recording is excellent

with tremendous bass and has to be turned up in volume more than

normal to get the full impact.

I keep hearing good things about Blue Coast. At present I can't play DSD files. I am auditioning DACs that have DSD capability now to remedy that situation. I can't imagine the price of DSD downloads...

I wonder if there's a reasonable limit to the number of Mahler one should buy? Naah!

I keep hearing good things about Blue Coast. At present I can't play DSD files. I am auditioning DACs that have DSD capability now to remedy that situation. I can't imagine the price of DSD downloads...

I wonder if there's a reasonable limit to the number of Mahler one should buy? Naah!

I am past the reasonable number of Mahler editions. At the moment, there is a 2 4 1. Buy the Mahler 2 for $75 and get the Mahler 1 for free. I just did.

Best,

Richard

I am past the reasonable number of Mahler editions. At the moment, there is a 2 4 1. Buy the Mahler 2 for $75 and get the Mahler 1 for free. I just did.

Best,

Richard

That's the spirit! Nice to know that enablers are out there for me. ;-)

That's the spirit! Nice to know that enablers are out there for me. ;-)

Mea Culpa.

Exactly! And with an upgraded Dac2DSDse enabled for 64/128 I may have to join DSDA...and reframe the Nike mantra: Just Don't Do It! ; >}

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Well now that my conscience is clear I got the Mahler 1. Also got a Mahler 6. Would want the Mahler 1 to be lonely during the download would I? This site has very reasonable prices. Not sure about sound quality but for 18 bucks for two albums I' will take the risk.

I am very impressed. I haven't done the maths, but 4 different versions of Bach's complete cantatas must amount to months of music.

It's about 60 CDs per set. But there are actually quite a few holes in the BWV 1-200 range and some numbers have different versions. Plus there are apocryphal cantatas, mainly BWV 217-222, that are excluded from most sets. So there is not really a definitive complete set.

I no longer follow the bach-cantatas.com weekly discussion now, but had done it for about 5 years previously. So I have probably heard most of them.

Andy

P.S. That reminds me, I made a new year's resolution to go through all Scarlatti keyboard sonatas last year. Ended up finishing 1/3 only. Need to get started again soon I suppose.

Andy

Now listening to Eric Leinsdorf conducting a wonderful Mahler 6th. I had forgotten how good the Boston could sound. The site is a little gold mine! It's basically remastered older recordings done with loving care and the price is definitely right.

not to mention 4 different versions of Bach's complete cantatas

I am very impressed. I haven't done the maths, but 4 different versions of Bach's complete cantatas must amount to months of music.

Andy is right, it's a bit more than a week of music.

However I only really listen to two of the complete sets (Koopman and Suzuki, plus selected Gardiner), so it is still manageable

Given my experience of other Blue Coast Recordings and despite owning the Hybrid SACD edition, I intend to reach in my pocket for this edition. I have not yet been disappointed. Tomorrow is the last day for buy one get one free.

Best,

Richard

Richard-

You do realize the Mahler No 1 in DSD for SFS and TT is not a Blue Coast recording, just a Blue Coast release of the DSD for download?

First Time Ever: Mahler Download in DSD | Stereophile.com

I think if you or someone else can rip your SACD, you will have the same file.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

P.S. That reminds me, I made a new year's resolution to go through all Scarlatti keyboard sonatas last year. Ended up finishing 1/3 only. Need to get started again soon I suppose.

Andy

Which version would you recommend? Scott Ross' Erato recordings from the 1980s? I am asking the question as I only have the disc of highlights from this collection and have been wondering for some time about getting the complete set.