IGNORED

Pathology?

Which version would you recommend? Scott Ross' Erato recordings from the 1980s? I am asking the question as I only have the disc of highlights from this collection and have been wondering for some time about getting the complete set.

I have the Scott Ross version. Got it just after the small green cube packaging was out.

Gave a set to my daughter's piano teacher when Presto classical had it on sale for something like $85 around Christmas last year. But even at the regular price, it still cost much less than the alternatives. And the set is solid. Scott Ross' sense of timing was impeccable. The complexity of some of these sonatas is mind boggling and he managed to reveal their structure in all cases. This set would give you a solid baseline for all sonatas. And at dirt cheap price too. So why not?

But for really spectacular interpretation of Scarlatti outside of a complete set, I would go with Pierre Hantaï's recordings. The guy is so poetic. And it isn't just Scarlatti either. His Bach and Frescobaldi stuff is like that too. He can probably be playing scales and it would come out like poetry. The guy is a genius :)

Also just did some reading on the newer complete sets. Apparently Volume 7 of Richard Lester contains some pieces that are not in the original 15 volumes scores. Being the obsessive completist, I'll probably check that one out soon.

Andy

Thanks for the advice. The 34-CD Erato box is indeed quite cheap on a price-per-CD basis. What holds me back is the perspective of ripping them all especially if it turned out that the tags were not available online... I wish the box were available as a download instead. So perhaps I'll start with Pierre Hantaï's discs. Again, many thanks for your suggestions.

But for really spectacular interpretation of Scarlatti outside of a complete set, I would go with Pierre Hantaï's recordings. The guy is so poetic. And it isn't just Scarlatti either. His Bach and Frescobaldi stuff is like that too. He can probably be playing scales and it would come out like poetry. The guy is a genius :)

I fully concur on Hantai being great. I just listened again yesterday to his Goldberg, which is probably my favorite version on cembalo. Need to check out his Scarlatti then.

On this topic, does anybody have experience with this box?

Sonates pour clavier (Intégrale) | Domenico Scarlatti par Pieter-Jan Belder - Télécharger et écouter l'album

I fully concur on Hantai being great. I just listened again yesterday to his Goldberg, which is probably my favorite version on cembalo. Need to check out his Scarlatti then.

The 1992 and 2003 versions are quite different. But both are great in their own ways.

Forgot to mention, this is a great fortepiano Scarlatti album:

3760135100026_600.jpg

Given the thread we're in right now and the rock bottom Brilliant Classics pricing, I'd say go for it :)

Andy

Richard-

You do realize the Mahler No 1 in DSD for SFS and TT is not a Blue Coast recording, just a Blue Coast release of the DSD for download?

First Time Ever: Mahler Download in DSD | Stereophile.com

I think if you or someone else can rip your SACD, you will have the same file.

Dear firedog,

Yes.

I merely referred to Blue Coast Recording not as the reording producer/engineer but as the entity offering SFS Michael Tilson Thomas's Mahler 1 and 2 in DSD format with a buy one get one free. If you recall, reference was posted asking if anyone had heard this offering. I responded appropriately.

I own all ten symphonies and many works of Mahler. In particular I also own Mahler's Symphonies 1, 6, 7 in hybrid SACD + booklet produced by SFS and Micael Tilson Thomas.

Thank you for the suggestion. Jesus of Sonore once offered to provide me with DSD, but I have not taken advantage of his kind offer. There is no one conveniently proximate to me and I am not comfortable imposing on others. While I own an old PS3, I short-sightedly purchased the model that can not you know what.

So I decided to pay the $2 and now have 1&2 in DSD 64 in my library;and it was expensive getting them.

Appreciate your thoughtful suggestion.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

The 1992 and 2003 versions are quite different. But both are great in their own ways.

3760135100026_600.jpg

Given the thread we're in right now and the rock bottom Brilliant Classics pricing, I'd say go for it :)

Andy

I only have the 1992 version, you tempt me. And on Scarlatti, I may well go for it, I'm just not yet sure I like him as much as my favorite JSB.

I only have the 1992 version, you tempt me. And on Scarlatti, I may well go for it, I'm just not yet sure I like him as much as my favorite JSB.

I'd say his Scarlatti is on par with his best Bach. But for me, this

51rr%2BussHXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

is his best Bach. Even better than his Goldbergs believe it or not... :)

Andy

On this topic, does anybody have experience with this box?

Sonates pour clavier (Intégrale) | Domenico Scarlatti par Pieter-Jan Belder - Télécharger et écouter l'album

Have you read Jed Distler's (slightly ambivalent) review of it on Classics Today: Scarlatti: Complete sonatas/Belder - Classics TodayClassics Today

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

3760135100026_600.jpg

Not to mention this superb rendition on modern piano:

4438841-origpic-369c75.jpg

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Reshaman,

If you don't already have it check out the Leinsdorf Mahler 6th at the site I noted great performance very nice SQ and bargain price.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

Dear firedog,

Yes.

I merely referred to Blue Coast Recording not as the reording producer/engineer but as the entity offering SFS Michael Tilson Thomas's Mahler 1 and 2 in DSD format with a buy one get one free. If you recall, reference was posted asking if anyone had heard this offering. I responded appropriately.

I own all ten symphonies and many works of Mahler. In particular I also own Mahler's Symphonies 1, 6, 7 in hybrid SACD + booklet produced by SFS and Micael Tilson Thomas.

Thank you for the suggestion. Jesus of Sonore once offered to provide me with DSD, but I have not taken advantage of his kind offer. There is no one conveniently proximate to me and I am not comfortable imposing on others. While I own an old PS3, I short-sightedly purchased the model that can not you know what.

So I decided to pay the $2 and now have 1&2 in DSD 64 in my library;and it was expensive getting them.

Appreciate your thoughtful suggestion.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

PS

firedog,

I forgot to thank you for the link to the Stereophile abstract. In fact, I forgot to click on the link and read the abstract. Having just done so, the first thing I wanted to do was thank you for making me aware of this interesting piece about the DSD downloads I was eager to purchase from Blue Coast Records the moment the email announcing their availability was received, and did so despite having multiple editions of the ten (10) Mahler Symphonies and multiple copies of his other works.

Very thoughtful of you.

With appreciation,

Richard

Reshaman,

If you don't already have it check out the Leinsdorf Mahler 6th at the site I noted great performance very nice SQ and bargain price.

LBob,

Having turned autocorrect back "on" typing your handle LBob, the program corrected it to "Lobbying". Who wrote that program?

Thank you for the recommendation. I always appreciate discovering music through gestures such as yours or serendipitously which ever comes first. Appreciate the gesture very much.

Best,

Richard

As an after thought, a member can get quite a comprehensive education in music appreciation at CA with threads ironically entitled and other threads throughout CA. This advantage, for me, is a boon and has a value both humbling and empowering at the same time. How convenient to have such a breath of savvy, knowledgable members to open others less informed to glorious music which would otherwise remain unknown.

For this advantage, I am very grateful. And the richer in knowledge. And growing poorer in expenditures but content, happy, nevertheless. ; >}

Membership at CA in this perspective suffices us bountifully.

Best,

Richard

Not to mention this superb rendition on modern piano:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6536[/ATTACH]

I have that, it's very nice, as pretty much most of Sudbin's recordings. However, I'm still on the look for more Scarlatti on historic instruments, be it fortepiano or cembalo. I'll probably get the Brilliant Classics box eventually. Thanks Snowmonkey for the link.

As an after thought, a member can get quite a comprehensive education in music appreciation at CA with threads ironically entitled and other threads throughout CA. This advantage, for me, is a boon and has a value both humbling and empowering at the same time. How convenient to have such a breath of savvy, knowledgable members to open others less informed to glorious music which would otherwise remain unknown.

For this advantage, I am very grateful. And the richer in knowledge. And growing poorer in expenditures but content, happy, nevertheless. ; >}

Membership at CA in this perspective suffices us bountifully.

Best,

Richard

LBob is short for Lurker Bob. I'm a shy person.

I agree about the music education. I love the album of the evening thread. Got some interesting music from that thread. I would never have gotten into CA without this site. I swear it's like AAA. Post a problem and within minutes you get help. Now that I think about it it's better than AAA!

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

LBob is short for Lurker Bob. I'm a shy person.

I agree about the music education. I love the album of the evening thread. Got some interesting music from that thread. I would never have gotten into CA without this site. I swear it's like AAA. Post a problem and within minutes you get help. Now that I think about it it's better than AAA!

Shy is fine. CA provides a leg up when needed, a voice for shy, for extroverts, for the gamut of how we present ourselves. There is lots of giving and receiving in the best sense of those exchanges; and when not in the best sense, a resolution can be handled in an appropriate way.

Enjoy the show. Nice chatting with you.

Best,

Richard

Bob, I could have written this word for word myself. The Album of the Evening thread is my favorite and reminds me everyday why I'm here .. the music.

Bob, I could have written this word for word myself. The Album of the Evening thread is my favorite and reminds me everyday why I'm here .. the music.

Melvin,

Have you checked out the Glass Symphony?

The Album of the Evening thread .... is costing me a fortune!

Ah, but we are becoming wealthy beyond wild expectation surrounded by the beauty of this wonderful art & such cherished fraternal friendships built on respect & kindness.

Gotta go now, time to dig more change from the sofa.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!