IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

• 4 weeks later...

Any one here using the RT version who feels comfortable ssh'ing into Daphile to try a small and VERY noticeable [to me] tweak?

If so try this;

chrt -f -p 99 'input the PID of the four ksoftirqd threads here'....example: chrt -f -p 99 3

taskset -p 03 'input the PID of squeezelite here'.......example: taskset -p 03 3166

Report back please...to go back to normal just reboot...no harm done.

Any one here using the RT version who feels comfortable ssh'ing into Daphile to try a small and VERY noticeable [to me] tweak?

If so try this;

chrt -f -p 99 'input the PID of the four ksoftirqd threads here'....example: chrt -f -p 99 3

taskset -p 03 'input the PID of squeezelite here'.......example: taskset -p 03 3166

Report back please...to go back to normal just reboot...no harm done.

Forgot to add one more

chrt -f -p 99 'input the PID of the real time clock -rtc0'

BTW this is for computers with multiple cores...ie most modern cpu's

Got it, I think. ps ax | grep kso

There's a new iso out too if anyone is interested.

ps -e will list everything

ps -eLo pid,cls,rtprio,pri,nice,cmd | grep -i "irq" will show the softirq and rtc0 threads

ps -e will list everything

ps -eLo pid,cls,rtprio,pri,nice,cmd | grep -i "irq" will show the softirq and rtc0 threads

Okay so after playing around with this today I decided that changing the 4 softirq's and rtc0 is about tuning not just 99. I like the cpu affinity for squeezelite though.

Okay so after playing around with this today I decided that changing the 4 softirq's and rtc0 is about tuning not just 99. I like the cpu affinity for squeezelite though.

I see squeezelite changes its pid with every boot so I used

taskset -c -p 03 $(pidof squeezelite)

I ended up making a script and putting it into the /etc/local.d folder

#!/bin/sh

sleep 10

chrt -f -p 83 3

chrt -f -p 83 21

chrt -f -p 83 30

chrt -f -p 83 39

save it as whateveryouwant.start <----needs to end with .start

Going to keep playing with the chrt values until I dial it in just right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next up....unbind all the usb ports [hardware] from being scheduled ie pooled. I don't use any PCIe, hd etc but I notice a whole lot of unnecessary tasks.

More about unbinding

https://lwn.net/Articles/143397/

I see squeezelite changes its pid with every boot so I used

I ended up making a script and putting it into the /etc/local.d folder

#!/bin/sh

sleep 10

chrt -f -p 83 3

chrt -f -p 83 21

chrt -f -p 83 30

chrt -f -p 83 39

save it as whateveryouwant.start <----needs to end with .start

Going to keep playing with the chrt values until I dial it in just right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next up....unbind all the usb ports [hardware] from being scheduled ie pooled. I don't use any PCIe, hd etc but I notice a whole lot of unnecessary tasks.

More about unbinding

https://lwn.net/Articles/143397/

This is super helpful, especially the scripting. Keep it coming, I'm testing with the RT build too

This is super helpful, especially the scripting. Keep it coming, I'm testing with the RT build too

I'm trying all my usually Linux tweaks

you might want to add this to the bottom of the script

echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

swappiness was set at 60!

btw make sure you have one empty line at the end of the script

I'm trying all my usually Linux tweaks

you might want to add this to the bottom of the script

echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

swappiness was set at 60!

btw make sure you have one empty line at the end of the script

Thanks for that, having some issues getting it to run. Script appears ok and in the right dir but when I check the PIDs they're all still default values..

Spent the weekend tweaking and listening to Daphile on a itx/i7/16gig Ram board vs. RPI-bv2 and BBB [both using Rune Audio with every tweak I can throw at it.

ITX board and ARM boards have separate maxed out power supplies powered by Balanced + Regenerated Power.

RPI-b V2 sounds better than BBB [far more organic and natural, full of details]

ITX has the slight edge over the RPI in that is has more 'swing' it is able to reach deeper into anything played [only with cpu affinity] but it requires tweaking and tuning to do so......

The stock value performer goes to RPI/RuneAudio hands down at about 1/10th the cost of the ITX setup....tweaked it goes to ITX/Daphile hands down. FWIW, both have very similar tweaks but the ITX board and Daphile is able to pull of greater performance.

Hi Kimmo,

first of all a big 'thank you' for all the work that must have been put into that project. The result is really great indeed!

I'm running Daphile 64bit RT on a thin client (Futro S550) which features an internal CF-card for storage. The SQ is best when the music is played directly from the CF card. Unfortunately only max. 16GB capacity is supported by the main board.

So a really neat feature would be that the tracks from the current playlist are automatically copied to the internal CF card and being played from there. So basically something Aurender is doing with their streamers, where the music files from the playlist are copied to a dedicated SSD.

What do you think?

Cheers, Henning

P.S.: RAM is only 1GB, which seems to be too less for RAM play of an entire album

Hi All,

Just wanna share some of my findings on some configurations in Daphile according to the SQ...

1. Network drive mapping using CIFS sounds better than NFS - Although the file transmission speed (file copy function) under NFS is significantly faster than CIFS, CIFS definitely gives a (much) better resolution in SQ. I have confirmed this with some guys who're using NFS before.

2. Default Squeezelite sounds better than SqueezePlay - Seriously, they are not just only "hearing the difference". I think you may not concern since the squeezelite is the default option.

Thanks for the tweaks of the startup script. I believe that would be an great improvement in SQ. I have been disabled all unnecessary ports and devices in BIOS and the SQ improved much as well. :)