IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

What is the best way to use one dahile pc as server and the other as client....

The Daphile "client" you mention is most likely just the web interface.

It's a "remote control" of the Daphile player but the physical "playing" still takes place only at the Daphile installation PC.

I believe what you are trying to do is use your local "client" PC to play files remotely from the Daphile storage area.

The one method that might work is listed in the Daphile PDF:

"c) You can try to find Daphile network drive with your file browser......."

On my remote PC if I use Windows Explorer and look under Network I see a folder called Daphile.

This is basically the Daphile installation PC.

If I browse under that I find the Daphile drives.

Pushing further I can find the music areas and folders containing all the downloads and CD rips.

I believe you can then play those songs over the network on your local PC, but it will not use the Daphile player.

It would have to be some player on your local PC like Windows Media Player, etc.

Sorry if this is not what you are trying to accomplish but maybe someone has a better method or can correct my method.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried to play DSD256 (aka Quad DSD) with Daphile? All I get is a stuttering echo of the music.

Are there any compatibility issues or settings that I should know about?

DSD64 and 128 play perfectly.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Anyone tried to play DSD256 (aka Quad DSD) with Daphile? All I get is a stuttering echo of the music.

Are there any compatibility issues or settings that I should know about?

DSD64 and 128 play perfectly.

I can't play DSD256 files with Daphile, I get absolutely no sound. DSD128 files don't play well too (lots of gaps and stutters), but maybe that's because my cpu isn't powerful enough? I'm using Daphile on an Intel Atom motherboard. DSD64 files play fine.

goerz

Has anyone got the youtube plugin nworking. I installed it and it worked as far as doing a search and getting results with graphics ( stills) but wouldnt play anything. Am I doing something wrong or has anyone any tips.

Thanks

thyristor44

Some problem here. I hit play and it ticks off one or two seconds then stops. I was wondering if the fact that the video stream is being passed through along with the audio means having to change settings somewhere for a larger allowance of data than the default provides.

I'd like to know if anybody has gotten ShairTunes to work. I've followed the instructions by adding the url provided (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StuartUSA/shairport_plugin/master/public.xml) in the field at the bottom of the Plugins tab. I hit Enter, or alternatively I've tried hitting the Apply button. Either way, the screen will say my changes have been saved but no plugin that appears to be ShairTunes or Airplay related appears in the Plug-in list afterward. I've tried several times, including attempts to reboot after and nothing is working as far as I can tell.

This being my first post, I'll introduce myself by saying that I know nothing about Linux and little about being a computer audiophile :) I've been enjoying Daphile for a couple of weeks now, running it from a USB stick on an Acer Aspire Revo R3700 through a Schiit Modi DAC.

Some problem here. I hit play and it ticks off one or two seconds then stops...

I've not tried ShairTunes or the Youtube plugin, but I can say that whenever I try and play content that's not actually available I get the same sequence. (This is usually for music where a search finds the title but not content underneath or it's rights protected.)

Ticks off a second or two or three, then goes to the next song (if it's a CD/Album).

I also had that condition when I had not set up the password properly for the plugin to attach (ickstream, Tidal, Spotify, etc.)

So you may need to research that from the Advanced tab under the Media Server Settings.

Using "some" of the add-on / plugin features is not exactly straightforward, not because of Daphile but because the feature itself has special requirements.

I've not tried ShairTunes or the Youtube plugin,

Sorry if I was unclear. My ShairTunes issues has nothing to do with the YouTube issue, I just brought it up in the same post. I'd like help getting Shairtunes installed as an available Plug-in.

Has anyone got the youtube plugin nworking.

This may be the issue:

Certain older YouTube apps will no longer be supported after April 2015

That's one of the videos that shows up in all the lists I see when trying to use the YouTube plugin App from Daphile.

It may be that the Daphile developer can correct it with a new plugin.

Or this may not be the problem at all....

Nope. You were clear. :) I was just thinking the issues "might" be related.

I played with this a bit and found that http://raw.githubusercontent.com/StuartUSA/shairport_plugin/master/public.xml

in place of your link gave me the ShairTunes Integration Plugin to activate.

I don't use ShairTunes so let me know if it gets you anywhere.

HTH!

That was it! Thank you so much. You have no idea how far you just got me in justifying to my girlfriend the time I've spent setting up this system :)

I need to figure out why the audio is out of sync with video when I play shows, but this is a huge step. Thank you again!

You have no idea how far you just got me in justifying to my girlfriend the time I've spent setting up this system :)

LOL! First time I've been thanked for being a "relationship counselor" :)

Glad my tinkering was helpful.

I did notice a check box under the Advanced controls for ShairTunes plugin in the media server.

It forced "low resolution" I think, whatever that means. That may not have any affect on the sync problem but it was the only control available for ShairTunes in the plugin that I could find.

Good luck!

I'm thinking you're right that this setting may not help my issue and is perhaps more intended for optimizing a low resolution stream, but I'd like to find out. Unfortunately, I could not test it because I'm not finding any additional settings associated with the plug-in. Where were you in Daphile that you found the low resolution option? When I'm in the Plug-in tab in Advanced Settings I see no options next to the ShairTunes plug-in, whereas some other plug-ins have a Settings link to the right of their descriptions.

If this has become too off-topic for the Daphile thread, please feel free to respond privately; though, with the dearth of documentation on Daphile, I would hope it's appropriate to keep it here to aid others.

Thank you again for your time.

LOL! First time I've been thanked for being a "relationship counselor" :)

Glad my tinkering was helpful.

I did notice a check box under the Advanced controls for ShairTunes plugin in the media server.

It forced "low resolution" I think, whatever that means. That may not have any affect on the sync problem but it was the only control available for ShairTunes in the plugin that I could find.

Good luck!

So if you are on the Advanced Media Server Settings page, at the top is a tab for Advanced.

If you click that, on the top left side of the page, under the Player tab is a drop down arrow that probably says Formatting.

Click that down arrow and one of the selections should be ShairTunes.

If you click that you should see the one option check box I mentioned.

I should add that the ShairTunes option does not show up until you have the plugin working, but you said it did so you should see it.

Odd timing behavior

Every once in awhile I start Daphile and it plays very slow [speed of music]. I have to stop then restart for it to play at normal speed. Then when I compared it to other computer sources playing the exact same thing I noticed the speed was just a tad different than the other sources [sometimes a bit faster].

Can anyone confirm this if you have other computer front ends to compare too.

It would help to know what physical interface you are using and is this all from one physical computer or multiple computers?

Other than that I, have tried the USB output to DAC and SPDIF (COAX) output to DAC, both from the same PC and have not noticed the symptom you mention.

Having the music play "very slow" seems extremely odd to me in the digital realm.

Like a 45RPM record playing at 33 1/3RPM type "slow"?

Are you confusing the two?

Wow. That is highly possible. After I had tinkered with the ShairTunes plugin and YouTube plugin I deleted both from my server since I do not use either. So when I wrote the description I did it from memory. And I am not getting any younger. :)

I will try again tonight to verify if I get the chance.

Sorry about the misdirection...

It would help to know what physical interface you are using and is this all from one physical computer or multiple computers?

Other than that I, have tried the USB output to DAC and SPDIF (COAX) output to DAC, both from the same PC and have not noticed the symptom you mention.

Having the music play "very slow" seems extremely odd to me in the digital realm.

Like a 45RPM record playing at 33 1/3RPM type "slow"?

In my case I am only using USB out to Dacs or USB/SPDIF converters. It does not happen 100% of the time but frequent enough to be annoying....say 20%.

USB out to:

Audio-gd Digital Interface with VIA chip

M2Tech High-Face II

Audio-gd Dac with VIA chip

L.K.S. Audio MH-DA003 Dac with Amanero Combo384 USb card

It can happen to any interface [none more than others], usually with Internet radio more than music files. It appears to be a buffer related problem because it only happens after the music has been paused and restarted. Once I change station or track etc. its back to normal.

I had looked there. I see a YouTube selection there that has a low resolution option but not ShairTunes. Are you confusing the two?

Sorry but you are correct. I was confusing the two and I see no options for the ShairTunes plugin.

Just can't multitask any longer... :)

Hello,

I downloaded the 32-bit x86: daphile-15.02-b120952-i486.iso and burn it on two different USB drive hopping to install it on a netbook called the Fujitsu M2010.

However, whenever I selected boot from USB in the bios, the netbook just glowing in a black screen and have no responses.

I've tried the USB on another pc and it functions well.

Is there any solution?

Hello,

I downloaded the 32-bit x86: daphile-15.02-b120952-i486.iso and burn it on two different USB drive hopping to install it on a netbook called the Fujitsu M2010.

However, whenever I selected boot from USB in the bios, the netbook just glowing in a black screen and have no responses.

I've tried the USB on another pc and it functions well.

Is there any solution?

Do you have another USB storage device plugged into the computer that isn't booting? I've found that whenever I introduce a new USB storage device and boot my computer, the new device is given priority and I get a black screen with a flashing cursor. The only solution is to access the BIOS with both devices plugged in and select my daphile stick as first priority. After that, no issues booting into daphile, but it will likely come up again when I upgrade my storage to a better device. This is a quirk of my computer and not a daphile problem but it does present a challenge to headless operation since I need to use a monitor to change the BIOS settings.

Also, my computer (Acer Aspire Revo 3700) treats USB storage devices as hard drives so I have to arrange the devices under hard drive priority, not USB drive priority in my BIOS.

A workaround is to boot the computer with only the daphile stick plugged in, then plug in the storage device once it's loaded, but since you're on a netbook it's easy for you to check your BIOS.