IGNORED

High-Resolution Downloads to die for…

There is a set of Beethoven symphonies with Karajan and the BPO recorded in Tokyo in 1977. It is so completely different sonically from the DG recordings it sounds like a different orchestra - much more like the one I heard live - and the performances just might be the best Karajan ever did - and since his 1961 cycle remains at the top of many peoples list and has not been out of print really in 50 years, that is saying a lot. It is only on SACD and I have the DSD rips.

Cool! Something I do not know, and that you feel are his best? I'd love to hear those! But where/how?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

David, are you sure this is not a re-master? I am sure it is the same performance as my Redbook - every note, every nuance is identical, but the sound quality! It's like chalk and cheese. The dynamic range sounds far greater (using dynamic in the audio sense of the word this time). Much as I love this performance, I have tended to crank the volume up quite a bit to "milk" the drama from it. Not with this version - I felt like I needed to keep the volume down to avoid rattling the windows on the highs. I like a lot of high res material, but had half convinced myself most of the improvement was due to better mastering, but if this and the Redbook are from the same master, I'm now a true believer. I'll take a double blind test on these anytime.

I can only guess, of course. The redbook version I have for comparison is not the "DG Originals" but the French "Collection du Millénaire" - same remastering but no booklet. Maybe you could check? Production date is said to be 1998, right on the verge of when DG/Polydor/Universal started remastering their records in 24/96 (as far as I remember the Decca Legends series was the first to officially indicate this on the cover, and those started hitting the market ca. 1999). Unfortunately, the dCS website is currently down, they were the first to market 96 kS/s ADCs and DACs, also ca. 1999.

What I'm trying to say is this: we can assume rather safely that the material was not transferred from the analogue master to 24/96 twice, and while it's possible that a 1998 redbook release was among the first to be taken (downsampled) from an early 24/96 master, we can't be sure.

The volume and DRM may, by themselves, serve as an indication, but it's not sufficient to tell with certainty.

As to the perceived difference in sound quality, I made the mistake to compare redbook to download upsampling both to 24/192 via the dCS Purcell (I have no patience listening to redbook 16/44.1 any other way, and forget sometimes). Cloning the signal (disabling upsampling to play either format back straight) the difference is indeed much greater, no use going back and forth.

(Thanks, reminds of why I bought the Purcell in the first place, that money has proven to be well-spent over the years).

[…]

Excellent choice, saves me from typing my own review, thank you!

I would like to add that I'm very happy with the Mercury Living Presence DSD-to-PCM transfers as offered by HDtracks. I've done some comparisons lately ripping .iso files from SACDs, extracting the .dff or .dsf files and converting them to PCM, applying filtering or no filtering, dither or no dither, integer and non-integer conversions (44.1 kS/s family versus 48 kS/s family), coming to the conclusion that Bruce Brown's (of Puget Sound Studios) preferences and recommended settings are all spot-on (he's responsible for the HDtracks downloads from SACD source, presumably including this one).

Three days of listening to each and every combination - numerous times… Glad to report it's got nothing to do with album or type of music, no need to repeat the process each and every time.

My favoured Korg AudioGate setting for DSD-to-PCM conversion (noting this here and elsewhere as it might save interested parties some valuable time) sonically, by far, is integer conversion to 176.4 kS/s using a gentle roll-off 50 kHz filter and no dither. I've also come to the conclusion that I can hear why HDtracks/Bruce Brown are using a custom 60 kHz filter (otherwise same settings), as the impact of each filter type on the audible bandwidth is undeniable (it would be nice if filters merely filtered out noise, in reality they audibly and measurably affect impulse and phase response), whereas unfiltered DSD-to-PCM conversion stings with digital glare much like neon light (I'm prone to migraines, light and noise being typical triggers, so "thanks" to this hyper-sensitivity I can tell within a split second, and happen to find long-time exposition downright cruel).

Having said all this, I've read contradictory information as to what format the Mercury SACDs were mastered in, and wished that in general, the original remastering format would be made available for download, versus a conversion thereof. Despite this caveat, the 176.4 Mercury Living Presence downloads I own on average sound even smoother and more agreeable than those transferred from RCA LSC SACDs.

Cool! Something I do not know, and that you feel are his best? I'd love to hear those! But where/how?

Either the Japanese single layer SACDs, from Japan, or a DSD rip. Either way, really worthwhile (as is the Tokyo live Kamu - Sibelius).

Incidentally, there is also a live Japanese Michelangeli recital that, for the first time, really shows the tone he possessed.

Either the Japanese single layer SACDs, from Japan, or a DSD rip. Either way, really worthwhile (as is the Tokyo live Kamu - Sibelius).

Incidentally, there is also a live Japanese Michelangeli recital that, for the first time, really shows the tone he possessed.

Wow! This is getting better and better! Could you point us to the latter, please?

It's actually happened to me during live concert performances that I absentmindedly "muttered" to myself (silently, of course) that the orchestral sound "lacks transparency" - LOL!

It happened to me too that I found during live events that the sound lacked a real sense of soundstage - especially at operas and ballets where the orchestra plays in the pit. Sometimes, even with the orchestra on stage, I also played at closing my eyes and trying to localise instruments, and often failed, as if the "sound system" had insufficient channel separation '-)

Camden Shaw Cello Solo : Bach, Kodály & Ligeti

My very best 24/192 is a young cellist captured directly by Unipheye

I have recognised several albums mentioned in this thread, but this one tops everything else I have - great playing, sublime recording

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

Those Sound Liason recordings are great finds!! Thanx. The live studio audience ones, especially...a great sense of ambiance and harmonic decay...and that simply from the store download samples!! I'm gonna buy a few for sure. Thx

Ted

This is great stuff!Torn.png

thank you for posting, I am so happy with the sound.

SSS1.png

It happened to me too that I found during live events that the sound lacked a real sense of soundstage - especially at operas and ballets where the orchestra plays in the pit. Sometimes, even with the orchestra on stage, I also played at closing my eyes and trying to localise instruments, and often failed, as if the "sound system" had insufficient channel separation '-)

Well in a concert hall, the better seats tend to be at a relatively long distance from the stage, so from the listener's viewpoint, the angle subtended by the stage is small, so the effective width of the soundstage is also small. You get a wider soundstage the closer you sit to the orchestra, but, unless the acoustics are exceptional, the overall sound tends to become increasingly fragmented and unbalanced.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

acousticsguru and other helpful album contributors,

I wonder if I am alone in being somewhat lost as to how to find these downloads? I would very much like to follow up on all these album suggestions and purchase them, as it is quite obvious that they are all first class additions to one's collection and an invaluable ear opener for many of us. Grateful thanks are due to all contributors.

There is one thing I'm sure many readers would be grateful for, especially those like myself, who are perhaps reading this thread only just now, and that is a list of the albums so far suggested together with a recommended link to where each might be purchased. Is it possible that someone could provide that for us less well informed readers?

2012 8Gb MacMini ML OS & Lacie FW Ext. Drive->OS Mountain Lion 10.8.4->Audirvana 1.4.9.7 Beta->Wireworld Electra 2 Power Cords / WireWorld Platinum Starlight USB cable->Resonessence Invicta DAC V5 Firmware->VeraStarr Grand Illusion Signature XLR Interconnects-> Ray Samuels Dark Star HPA-> Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2 & LCD-3s with ALO Reference 8 or Ref 16 Cables.

hdtracks

qobuz

channel classics

linn

sound liason

2L

blue coast records

Off the top of my head, these have most of the hi-res available for download. Some individual bands and orchestras have hi-res downloads at their own sites.

I'm sure I forgot a few sites, so you can search at: Find HD Music | Search for High Definition Audio | High Resolution Download Sites Directory

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

fogot sites eclassical and downloads now!

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

hdtracks

qobuz

channel classics

linn

sound liason

2L

blue coast records

Off the top of my head, these have most of the hi-res available for download. Some individual bands and orchestras have hi-res downloads at their own sites.

I'm sure I forgot a few sites, so you can search at: Find HD Music | Search for High Definition Audio | High Resolution Download Sites Directory

Good list. Also, e-classical.com, which can be accessed there or through Presto Classical's web site (they're a very good UK seller of classical recordings - have gotten a couple of Jordi Savall SACDs there at competitive prices).

Edit: Ah, I see Firedog beat me to it. :-)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

acousticsguru and other helpful album contributors,

I wonder if I am alone in being somewhat lost as to how to find these downloads? I would very much like to follow up on all these album suggestions and purchase them, as it is quite obvious that they are all first class additions to one's collection and an invaluable ear opener for many of us. Grateful thanks are due to all contributors.

There is one thing I'm sure many readers would be grateful for, especially those like myself, who are perhaps reading this thread only just now, and that is a list of the albums so far suggested together with a recommended link to where each might be purchased. Is it possible that someone could provide that for us less well informed readers?

All the downloads I've listed so far are from Qobuz, HDtracks and High Definition Tape Transfers, with the exception of the Figaro, which I have from HighResAudio (Linn also carries it), and the SoundLiason, which is available on the label's own website.

Not necessarily hi-res (though as I remember a few may be), but Peter Gabriel's Real World label has many recordings worth downloading. Particular recommendations are The Blind Boys of Alabama (esp Go Tell it on the Mountain) and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, late Sufi singing man-mountain par excellence (esp the final track on Shahen Shah).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Not necessarily hi-res (though as I remember a few may be), but Peter Gabriel's Real World label has many recordings worth downloading. Particular recommendations are The Blind Boys of Alabama (esp Go Tell it on the Mountain) and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, late Sufi singing man-mountain par excellence (esp the final track on Shahen Shah).

And Portico Quartet!

Are these samplers from Channel Classics true DSD? I'm just getting into classical and looking for a simple way to sample different flavors...I'll likely still get some, just thought someone may know if they are good DSD examples...thanks!

arthurs,

May I suggest you visit 2L.no where you can download a large number of free downloads in DSD formats 64/128. Excellent quality.

Best,

Richard

And Portico Quartet!

+1

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5