IGNORED

15 USB/SPDIF converters shootout

I read what Dan [Lavry] posted. Let's just say I have not seen many sources that have a rise time of 10 nSec, or slower.

Can't speak for what others do, but a lot of folks use the LVC logic family. I can assure you it is much faster than 10 nSec. Faster signals allow those of us who design this stuff to see more of the effect of reflections. That is just plain RF engineering.

Some of us can measure the effects of cable length, and reflections, on the recovered clock. (Getting rid of SPDIF would solve that problem.)

Two comments:

1. Even if the rise time of the S/PDIF signal is 1 ns, even a 1-inch long connector would have a propagation delay of only 1/6 this amount, so its characteristic impedance should not be important.

2. What counts is not whether you can see on a scope distortion of the S/PDIF waveform due to reflections, but whether ameliorating such reflections actually reduces jitter in the recovered clock. Both the S/PDIF input receiver and the clock recovery phase-locked loop include low-pass filtering and interpolation that reduce the effects of distortion components at frequencies orders of magnitude above the clock frequency. To determine whether such effects remain, one would have to actually measure the jitter spectrum of the recovered clock with different S/PDIF cables and connectors.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

My preceding post is not intended to contradict ar-t's report that he actually did measurements to prove that the jitter spectrum of the recovered clock is affected by differences in the reflections caused by different S/PDIF cables and connectors.

I merely intended to supplement ar-t's post with some engineering background for the possible benefit of non-engineers here.

I would be interested to know whether ar-t is referring to measurements he did years ago with S/PDIF input receivers and clock recovery PLLs that are no longer state of the art, or whether even today's very best clock recovery circuits remain sensitive to differences among S/PDIF cables and connectors.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Regarding your Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB®, in the rear output of BNC SPDIF, It is stated on their website to have 75 ohm impedance, but why does it have a center insulator?

The last time i checked BNC Jacks with central insulators were 50 Ohms.

Tim

Artemis

Computer > iFi iUSB Power Supply > iFi iPurifier USB Conditioner> iFi iLink USB to SPDIF Converter >

Matrix Audio X-Sabre DAC > AMB Balanced Beta 22 AMP>

|ϟ| SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer |ϟ| Adam A7X Monitors |ϟ| Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Two comments:

1. Even if the rise time of the S/PDIF signal is 1 ns, even a 1-inch long connector would have a propagation delay of only 1/6 this amount, so its characteristic impedance should not be important.

So you say................

2. What counts is not whether you can see on a scope distortion of the S/PDIF waveform due to reflections, but whether ameliorating such reflections actually reduces jitter in the recovered clock. Both the S/PDIF input receiver and the clock recovery phase-locked loop include low-pass filtering and interpolation that reduce the effects of distortion components at frequencies orders of magnitude above the clock frequency. To determine whether such effects remain, one would have to actually measure the jitter spectrum of the recovered clock with different S/PDIF cables and connectors.

And you assume we can't?

Regarding your Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB®, in the rear output of BNC SPDIF, It is stated on their website to have 75 ohm impedance, but why does it have a center insulator?

The last time i checked BNC Jacks with central insulators were 50 Ohms.

Tim

Artemis

Some 75 ohm BNCs have a very thin central insulator, on the female end.

My preceding post is not intended to contradict ar-t's report that he actually did measurements to prove that the jitter spectrum of the recovered clock is affected by differences in the reflections caused by different S/PDIF cables and connectors.

I merely intended to supplement ar-t's post with some engineering background for the possible benefit of non-engineers here.

I would be interested to know whether ar-t is referring to measurements he did years ago with S/PDIF input receivers and clock recovery PLLs that are no longer state of the art, or whether even today's very best clock recovery circuits remain sensitive to differences among S/PDIF cables and connectors.

Well, now that you put it that way..........

We have much better gear, to measure with today. At some point, I may measure the latest gizmo that Crystal makes. They still use a Schmitt trigger, so my guess is "yes". Maybe not as much, as they claim the recovery circuit is better.

But, to no one's surprise, I remain skeptical.

What no one seems to understand is we are not talking about tons of difference, between the two. If you are trying to make the best that can be, it makes no sense to overlook such a small detail. The amount of jitter in the recovered clock will always be much worse than the source. Even if you do fix the front-end.

We can, so we do. Simple as that.

Others will claim it doesn't exist, then it exists, but isn't important (or can't work). At least until they decided that they invented it, and incorporate it in all their so-called products.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, but it's a firewire Dac called the Weiss 202!

Are there any DACs at this time, at any price, whose USB input is not bettered by a first-rate external USB to S/PDIF converter?

MacPro 24 GB/8TB / A+ and Pure Music / LAMPIZATOR B7 as Dac and Pre w/volume control / Regen /Intona USB Iso/curious USB / Emotive Audio Sira / PASS Aleph P / D-Sonic M3 600 mono's / MIT / Shunyata Alpha HC, Alpha Digital, Alpha Analogue, Weizhi PR-6 / Exact Power XP15a-4 balanced power distributor / FOCAL Maestro UTOPIA III's in red/black

"In life's final analysis, one's relationship with his Maker is all that really matters."

Are there any DACs at this time, at any price, whose USB input is not bettered by a first-rate external USB to S/PDIF converter?

Yea the Playbnack Designs. Its a matter of opinion if it's improved. I think it is slightly improved by an Off-Ramp but the difference is so slight I can't be bothered using it and some think its internal is slightly better. Although everyone agrees there is hardly anything in it.

Another is a PDX - again very close - hardly anything in it.

Thanks

Bill

Yes, but it's a firewire Dac called the Weiss 202!

Sorry mate - to my ears my Off-Ramp clobbered it. But it was better than a Stello.

But then again I am not a Wiess 202 fan - its a bit flat and reserved for my tastes (those that know me know I like a forward in your face sound) - it may grow on you with time though - I only spent a small amount of time with it at a dealer and not in a system I am familiar with.

Thanks

Bill

The off ramp? Into what DAC? The question I responded to was "sans" USB converter ! The Weiss 202 is anything but flat!

Maybe you are thinking of the Minerva or the Dac 2 ?

MacPro 24 GB/8TB / A+ and Pure Music / LAMPIZATOR B7 as Dac and Pre w/volume control / Regen /Intona USB Iso/curious USB / Emotive Audio Sira / PASS Aleph P / D-Sonic M3 600 mono's / MIT / Shunyata Alpha HC, Alpha Digital, Alpha Analogue, Weizhi PR-6 / Exact Power XP15a-4 balanced power distributor / FOCAL Maestro UTOPIA III's in red/black

"In life's final analysis, one's relationship with his Maker is all that really matters."

Sorry ... deleted

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Yea the Playbnack Designs. Its a matter of opinion if it's improved. I think it is slightly improved by an Off-Ramp but the difference is so slight I can't be bothered using it and some think its internal is slightly better. Although everyone agrees there is hardly anything in it.

Bill

Anyone know if the USB inputs built into the best DACs (Meitner, MSB, dCS, PBD, Bricasti) convert to S/PDIF or do they go straight to I2S? If the former, the superiority of external converters can be attributed to isolation. But if the latter, it seems inconceivable to me that the the built-ins are not regularly trouncing the external converters.

Dan

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Anyone know if the USB inputs built into the best DACs (Meitner, MSB, dCS, PBD, Bricasti) convert to S/PDIF or do they go straight to I2S? If the former, the superiority of external converters can be attributed to isolation. But if the latter, it seems inconceivable to me that the the built-ins are not regularly trouncing the external converters.

Dan

No DAC with USB input that I know of converts to S/PDIF internally since that would then require converting back to I2S (or other word alignments depending upon the DAC chip's input). It would be ridiculous if some designer did that!

I don't have time at the moment to go into it, but there are a host of reasons that decently done external USB>S/PDIF converters often sound better that a DACs own USB input.

Yet it is true, a well done internal USB>I2S board should (and often does in the DIY circles) sound better that an external USB>S/PDIF. It is kind of obvious: USB>I2S>DAC chip versus USB>S/PDIF>S/PDIF receiver>I2S>DAC chip.

And of course clocks and jitter and power supplies and isolation all involved in all cases.

I don't have time at the moment to go into it, but there are a host of reasons that decently done external USB>S/PDIF converters often sound better that a DACs own USB input.

Perhaps when you have more time. I'd really like to know what those reasons are and what it takes to overcome them.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

No DAC with USB input that I know of converts to S/PDIF internally since that would then require converting back to I2S (or other word alignments depending upon the DAC chip's input). It would be ridiculous if some designer did that!

I could be wrong, but I thought the little Concero did that. CONCERO | Resonessence

The Truth Is Out There

The off ramp? Into what DAC? The question I responded to was "sans" USB converter ! The Weiss 202 is anything but flat!

Maybe you are thinking of the Minerva or the Dac 2 ?

The Off-Ramp into a Wiess 202 compared to its Firewire. Its Firewire is good - better than a Stello we tried - but the Off-Ramp was better again.

Mate how DAC's sound varies considerably between systems. My personal reference DAC, a PDX, is very hyper detailed, dynamic and in your face - so much so in some very revealing systems some find it un-listenable - describing it like ultra-violence:

NAD M51 Digital Direct DAC – initial impressions | Digital Audio Review by John Darko

On my system it's very detailed and in your face but not to the point anyone says they don't like it. I have a NAD M51 as well and everyone that heard it in my system easily prefers the PDX over the M51.

I took the PDX around to some other guys I know to compare it to a Metrum on their systems. One was a home made open baffle Seas Excell system and another SGR active speakers. On those systems the PDX was dull, slow and boring. Normally I give the PDX the edge over the Metrum - but on those systems the Metrum was clealy better. Exactly why - who knows. But the fact is how DAC's sound shows enormous variation depending on system synergies.

That said I am not the only one to say what I did about the Wiess - and indeed I heard it on a very unfamiliar system at a dealer so could easily change my mind hearing it on other gear.

Thanks

Bill

Errrr - exactly what DAC's you know 100% for sure do I2S internally?

I hate to tell you but most in fact do SPDIF internally. They use an inexpensive chip that is available that has both analogue and SPDIF out - but no I2S and simply feed it into the SPDIF. USB in the past was an after thought which is why external converters were usually universally way above internal implementations. That is slowly starting to change - but as of now don't expect any but the very best USB DAC's to convert to I2S.

Thanks

Bill

Anyone know if the USB inputs built into the best DACs (Meitner, MSB, dCS, PBD, Bricasti) convert to S/PDIF or do they go straight to I2S?

Hi Dan

Most don't - they use a cheap chip that converts to SPDIF.

And indeed that is a reason external converters sound better.

The other thing to realize is many of the big makers have engineers that think the stuff audiophiles like us go on about is in cloud cuckoo land and it doesn't make any difference anyway.

Thanks

Bill

I'd think that you would have to know that their specs are inaccurate, otherwise I suppose it could be considered libel if those assertions were untrue...

The 110s have a thin conductor though polymer components to maintain 75 ohms through 1GHz. The metal bodied units only maintain this characteristic impedance through 200MHz, I believe is what they are spec'ing.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future