IGNORED

15 USB/SPDIF converters shootout

Thanks for the update, I definitely would like to demo BADA before buying, but it seems pretty rare in AUS, cant even find online seller with it advertised. I would also like to try OffRamp eventually as well.

RE SPDIF cable length I'm using 1.5 Metres also, I actually bought a number of cables from Blue Jeans with different lengths to compare, and ended up preferring the 1.5 metre one. I will try a pro audio AES soon as well, I don't want to spend too much on digital cables (maybe except USB) when there are other USB transports to try!

Dan sounds upset, he doesn't like long cables.

I hate getting dragged into this...........again.

OK, I read what Dan posted. Let's just say I have not seen many sources that have a rise time of 10 nSec, or slower.

Yes, if they are that slow........well, you are going to have other problems. EMI will not be one of them, though.

Can't speak for what others do, but a lot of folks use the LVC logic family. I can assure you it is much faster than 10 nSec. Faster signals allow those of us who design this stuff to see more of the effect of reflections. That is just plain RF engineering.

Some of us can measure the effects of cable length, and reflections, on the recovered clock. (Getting rid of SPDIF would solve that problem.)

You decide who is right.

Picture030_zpsab9b6674.jpg

The BADA with aes/ebu really stands out from the rest and is the clear, undisputed sonic champion by a very noticeable margin.

Don’t read too much into that. It could be synergy with my DAC or other factors. BADA recommends using the aes/ebu output and perhaps my DAC performs better with its aes/ebu input as well. Who knows….

What does the BADA-aes/ebu do that makes it stand out from the pack? Well, everything. I can’t think of a single sonic aspect where it did not better the others. Soundstaging width, depth, ambient detail, decay, resolution, imaging, layering, tone, bass, mids, highs- you name it. Most of all, the notes/sounds had a 3-dimensional, ‘round’ character, with a sort of bouncy or buoyant quality. It is as if the notes have a rubber ball character to them (versus flat, one-dimensional and hard). For example, you can hear the drum head flex as it is hit- it has some ‘give’ to it. I am certain that makes no sense, but I can’t think of another way to convey this aspect. It is very addictive and in terms of impact on my system, transformational.

Hey Blake, nice review here. FWIW Alpha USB does sounds better via its balance connection and this was tested out using different DACs e.g. BADA, ARC Ref CD-9, and Bryston DAC. You are right on every description on its sound characteristics as I have heard similar leap in performance as well.

I too highly recommend it and I like to add that the change of power cord into the Alpha USB makes an audible difference too.

PS: I see that you have placed the Alpha USB on top of the MBP. Just to note that I placed the Alpha USB on a SCS platform to isolate noise and vibration which helps lower noise floor.

Cheers~

I would like to know if anybody even has one. Mine is still on order as the dealer hasn't received a shipment yet.

In case anyone is wondering, the I-Link is shipping tomorrow, so the dealers should have them by Friday. The product info went up on the ifi website today.

...and the new date for the Gemini cable is May 1st.

@larevoj:

Thanks. What power cord are you using on your BADA Alpha?

With respect to isolation on the BADA, I just put it on top of my laptop for this group photo of all my converters. In practice, the BADA sits on its own 4" maple platform with brass footers, etc.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

@larevoj:

Thanks. What power cord are you using on your BADA Alpha?

With respect to isolation on the BADA, I just put it on top of my laptop for this group photo of all my converters. In practice, the BADA sits on its own 4" maple platform with brass footers, etc.

Hi Blake, you may try different PC to suit your set up but I uses Audience PowerChord e with good results. Good to know the Alpha USB is isolated...btw, you have a good setup :)

Blake: You have the iFi Gemini USB cable listed in your signature. Do you actually have one? I keep reading that the ship date for the Gemini is the"end of the month." The "month" being whatever month we are in. The Gemini is on my list to try, but I'm getting a little tired of waiting and may pop for a different cable. Anyway, if you have one, would you share thoughts about it with us? (Maybe start a different thread.)

Thanks,

Alex

Anybody have a chance to hear Nuforce u192s usb converter? What about the new JK USB converter?

{Newer Tech FW Raid1>MBP i7-128ssd-16gig ram>Pure Music>Pangea AG USB>JK Ciúnas converter>DH-Labs D-75>GF TubeDac-11 (Voskhod "rocket" tube)w/Pangea AC14se>Adam A7x+Sub8w/Pangea AC9's

Headphones: Hifiman HE-500//Portable:iPhone 4>Sennheiser MM 100bt}

Blake: You have the iFi Gemini USB cable listed in your signature. Do you actually have one? I keep reading that the ship date for the Gemini is the"end of the month." The "month" being whatever month we are in. The Gemini is on my list to try, but I'm getting a little tired of waiting and may pop for a different cable. Anyway, if you have one, would you share thoughts about it with us? (Maybe start a different thread.)

Thanks,

Alex

Superdad- sorry, just seeing your post now. I inserted the Gemini in my signature when I received an email from the distributor that it would be to me in a week, but that was months ago. Anyway, I don't have it yet, but I have been assured I am in the first couple of people in terms of priority on the waiting list. I am currently using a Mapleshade Clearlink Plus, alternating with KingRex uArt, twin head cable.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I inserted the Gemini in my signature when I received an email from the distributor that it would be to me in a week, but that was months ago. Anyway, I don't have it yet, but I have been assured I am in the first couple of people in terms of priority on the waiting list.

Thanks Blake. Do be sure to let us all know when you do finally get the Gemini cable. It has been a long wait for us all. I think we are all expecting it to be something special price/performance-wise based just on what they achieved with the iUSB (not to mention the accomplishments of AMR, the parent firm).

Best,

ALEX

I played around with the iLink tonight. The JET (Jitter Elimination Technology) feature was interesting to switch back and forth. I actually preferred it off with most music. With it on, everything sounded more smooth. Horns sounded better with it on.

I couldn't tell the difference between the normal and the high coax output.

Voices and drums sounded very good. Everything was really well balanced.

BUT...here's the deal breaker so far. The bass. Man is the bass really loose.

My V-Link 192 is just a tad flatter overall, but the bass is very well controlled and therefore more enjoyable. I'll give it a good burn-in period, but issues that are this blatantly obvious never get resolved with more use. I even tried a thinner sounding coax cable with more silver to try and tame the bass. No dice.

Actually, come to think of it, aside from the bass, the overall sound is similar to the John Kenny MKII. Smooth and well balanced. I'll report back if anything changes.

I played around with the iLink tonight. The JET (Jitter Elimination Technology) feature was interesting to switch back and forth. I actually preferred it off with most music. With it on, everything sounded more smooth. Horns sounded better with it on.

I couldn't tell the difference between the normal and the high coax output.

Voices and drums sounded very good. Everything was really well balanced.

BUT...here's the deal breaker so far. The bass. Man is the bass really loose.

My V-Link 192 is just a tad flatter overall, but the bass is very well controlled and therefore more enjoyable. I'll give it a good burn-in period, but issues that are this blatantly obvious never get resolved with more use. I even tried a thinner sounding coax cable with more silver to try and tame the bass. No dice.

Actually, come to think of it, aside from the bass, the overall sound is similar to the John Kenny MKII. Smooth and well balanced. I'll report back if anything changes.

Are you using the iUSB with it? Hows the sound stage? The JK sounds like a great unit I only hear good things about it?

{Newer Tech FW Raid1>MBP i7-128ssd-16gig ram>Pure Music>Pangea AG USB>JK Ciúnas converter>DH-Labs D-75>GF TubeDac-11 (Voskhod "rocket" tube)w/Pangea AC14se>Adam A7x+Sub8w/Pangea AC9's

Yes, I'm using the iUSB. I've recently tried 3 products that made the sound smoother on my system, and in all 3 cases, the music sounded good, but the dynamics and excitement took a hit. The JK and this iLink are 2 of those. In this case, the dynamics might have more to do with the poor bass control on the iLink.

So here's what kind of drives me crazy...the iLink's soundstage is wider and more open, and the vocals...oh the vocals are just phenomenal. I wish I could cherry pick those out and put them in the V-Link. Another observation is that snare drums on the V-Link sound much more realistic.

Ok so the 3 are v-link, ilink and JK mk2? All three lack dynamics and reduce excitement by smoothing the overall sound? WoW, I heard that the converters added more dynamics and soundstage. What's your old flow, it must sound pretty good if these devices reduce dynamics? Have you tried the newer JK mk3 or Ciúnas?

The V-Link 192 is very dynamic in my system and the instruments sound more realistic. Even though the sound is more veiled, especially in the vocals, and the soundstage isn't as large, it looks like I'm keeping it in the mix.

The V-Link 192 is very dynamic in my system and the instruments sound more realistic. Even though the sound is more veiled, especially in the vocals, and the soundstage isn't as large, it looks like I'm keeping it in the mix.

I don't understand, on your first post you said the iLink had several attributes but bass was deal breaker. Then you said it reminded you of the JK sound without the iLink bass limitations. If that's the case why are you not using the JK then? It sounds like the better unit if the similarities are true and there's two newer versions of JK that should sound even better than mk2?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm one of the first to grab the iLink and have been running it with the iUSB ever since.

One thing i would say is that it sounds much much better than optical out may it be glass or plastic fiber.

Is it better than the HiFace/HiFace2? In my opinion i say yes, however it is only slightly better than the HiFace 2 with the BNC Output.

I've asked various questions to Vincent from iFi Audio and they've said the jitter measurements are very low/ideal even when using the BNC Cable with their respected BNC to RCA adapters.

Regardless of explanation, scientifically RCA connectors are not 75 ohm and will never be 75 ohm as once that coax hits the center pin, bam flaberyghasty it goes to 50.

Not even sure if Eichman bullet, WBT, Canare, or Oyaide SLSC are 75 connectors as dimensions makes it darn impossible.

Anyway, after 2 weeks or so of testing it's on par with my empirical audio off-ramp 5 however lacks a definition/accuracy.

I use an Oyaide DB-510 cable for testing purposes.

When using it with the iLink, i use the BNC to RCA adapter that comes along with the package.

I have two iLink and iUSB's. Will test one with BNC Output while the other with RCA Out side by side and see if the BNC improves sound quality. How can i test it on BNC if it doesn't have BNC? Here you go:

Fitting 1.1.jpg

For the sake of computer audio!

Oh right, i forgot to mention. I am ditching the included 9V "Ultra low noise" power adapter with a SIGMA 11 Linear/Regulated Power Supply by AMB.

Cheers,

Timothy

Computer > iFi iUSB Power Supply > iFi iPurifier USB Conditioner> iFi iLink USB to SPDIF Converter >

Matrix Audio X-Sabre DAC > AMB Balanced Beta 22 AMP>

|ϟ| SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer |ϟ| Adam A7X Monitors |ϟ| Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Not even sure if Eichman bullet, WBT, Canare, or Oyaide SLSC are 75 connectors as dimensions makes it darn impossible.

WBT 110 are ideal for digital being 75 ohm to 1GHz. The WBT 102 is 75 ohm to 200MHz.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

WBT 110 are ideal for digital being 75 ohm to 1GHz. The WBT 102 is 75 ohm to 200MHz.

Ah so that's why they're so expensive.

Makes sense now, thank you for the clarification.

Anyway, if anyone is interested: Artemis Cables - Aerial Fidelity Audio Cables

My question to everyone is, does separating the power line from the data line in a usb cable have any sonic benefits?

PC > iUSB (3FT)

iUSB > iLink (.5FT)

Was thinking of making something along the lines of the iFi Gemini but not too sure now.

Hope Blake could put some of his input into this once he receives his cable.

Cheers,

Timothy

Computer > iFi iUSB Power Supply > iFi iPurifier USB Conditioner> iFi iLink USB to SPDIF Converter >

Matrix Audio X-Sabre DAC > AMB Balanced Beta 22 AMP>

|ϟ| SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer |ϟ| Adam A7X Monitors |ϟ| Sennheiser HD800 Headphones