IGNORED

USB cables , what are you guys using?

Got a couple of USB goodies today.

1. Cardas Clear USB cable

2. iFI iUSB

I did a lot of combinations with my AQ Cinnamon USB cable and I took a page out of John Kenny's play-book and used 2 short USB adapters from my Mac mini to the iUSB so there's only 3" separating the two. They new items have 2 hours on them, but here are my initial thoughts...

1. John Kenny's $6 worth of adapters scheme sounded better than either of my premium cables. That almost direct connection made a big difference.

2. The Cardas cable was more neutral than the warmer sounding Audioquest. Maybe that will change with more hours on the Cardas. I preferred the AQ Cinnamon by quite a bit, which is funny because I read that someone preferred the Cardas over the AQ. I guess it comes down to your neutral vs warm preference. Initially I sided with the "It might make an ever so slight difference" crowd, so I was surprised by the obvious difference I heard.

3. I wasn't sure what to think of the iUSB at first. The music seemed more laid-back, which turned me off initially. Then I played a few tracks without trying to analyze every nuance. I found that with the iUSB, I was smiling a lot more. Everything was just a pleasure to listen to. Lowering the noise floor and having blacker blacks really creates more intimate vocals for me. An outstanding bang for the buck. I should also mention that I usually have the tube buffer on my Nova engaged to roll the highs off a bit. With the iUSB, I had it off most of the time and the music never got fatiguing, which usually happens sans tube.

Whats up everyone?

I'm curious what USB cables you guys are using? What made you decide on the cable you are using? Has going with a higher end cable made any noticeable differences?

I got 3 USB cables right now and I'm planning on a few more to demo. I have a clear high speed 2.0 A B , a Black High Speed 2.0 A B and a Audioquest Forest A B . All cables are around 6 ft in length.

I'm planning on a Cardas Clear and a Audioquest Carbon.

I use the USB cable that came with my DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core to connect it to my iMac

Frank[br]Mac mini, Amarra, Pure vinyl, Resolution Cantata, Metric Halo LIO-8, dCs P8i,DeVialet 800, Goldmund Mim 20/36+/22/29.4, Epilog 1&2[br]Reference Turntable Ortofon Jubilee pickup

The cable I'm using was recommended by the manufacturer of the OffRamp5 USB to S/PDIF converter. Prophecy cry-silver 2.0 usb built by Revelation Audio Labs.

It replaced a relatively inexpensive ($100) CryoParts cable.

The cable is burning in along with some new amps.

Arcam, AKG, Audience, Ayre, Bel Canto, Beyer Dynamic, Black Sand, Boston, Carver, CIA, Denon, Headroom, JL Audio, Meier, Ohm, PSA, RBH, Senn

Whats up everyone?

I'm curious what USB cables you guys are using? What made you decide on the cable you are using? Has going with a higher end cable made any noticeable differences?

I got 3 USB cables right now and I'm planning on a few more to demo. I have a clear high speed 2.0 A B , a Black High Speed 2.0 A B and a Audioquest Forest A B . All cables are around 6 ft in length.

I'm planning on a Cardas Clear and a Audioquest Carbon.

I'd say that you need to work that your cable has adequate shielding and you are good to go. I like the *idea* of the AQ carbon putting a RF absorbative shiething on cables to cut down on RFI - I have no idea how effective it is, but it is an interesting concept.

I also like how they are focussing on more and more and more pure copper - while it may or may not make a bad impact - it certainly can't make things worse.

But given the thread that seems to be developing:

1. Audiophile enjoyment is an aesthetic experience and as such it is completely subjective after a certain point. This can be evidenced in attention to the appearance of components as much as sound. Same thing can be said for furniture, cars, and so on. Somethign that looks like, overbuilt, over engineered, made by people passionate may be part of what makes the experience enjoyable provided the sound is acceptably good. Yes, there is snake oil, and downright rip-offs - but people itching for a fight, putting open bets, calling names, implying stupidity are missing the point.

Subjective things are beyond judgement in a lot of ways - otherwise a few measurements in the lab would end it - yet it doesn't. The explanation of "gullible/stupid/foolish" can't be right - perhaps we are asking the wrong question?

--

Audio System: Mac Mini (w/Roon) -> USB -> NAD Masters M51 -> Ayre K-5xeMP -> Ayre V-5xe -> Thiel CS3.7's

Somethign that looks like, overbuilt, over engineered, made by people passionate may be part of what makes the experience enjoyable provided the sound is acceptably good. Yes, there is snake oil, and downright rip-offs - but people itching for a fight, putting open bets, calling names, implying stupidity are missing the point.

Subjective things are beyond judgement in a lot of ways - otherwise a few measurements in the lab would end it - yet it doesn't. The explanation of "gullible/stupid/foolish" can't be right - perhaps we are asking the wrong question?

Looking at the picture below of my Mapleshade Clearlink USB, which replaced an Audioquest Coffee, "overbuilt" is not the first adjective that springs to mind. So for me at least, I think one has to look at the ears rather than the eyes to explain whatever subjective reactions I have.

CL-USB_DEPT.jpg

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Looking at the picture below of my Mapleshade Clearlink USB, which replaced an Audioquest Coffee, "overbuilt" is not the first adjective that springs to mind. So for me at least, I think one has to look at the ears rather than the eyes to explain whatever subjective reactions I have.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3941[/ATTACH]

Mapleshade is beautiful in a minimalist way.

I like 47Labs for the same reason, too!

--

Audio System: Mac Mini (w/Roon) -> USB -> NAD Masters M51 -> Ayre K-5xeMP -> Ayre V-5xe -> Thiel CS3.7's

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3941[/ATTACH]

Still burn in mine: Mapleshade Clearlink Plus USB Cable (3 foot).

But just after the first listening it demoed his musicality: Very clean highs, sweet and correct midrange, with a lot of bass and deep bass extension, then correct timing and very low jitter (if there is some). All the music emerged from the blackest of the backgrounds, meaning not distortion (noise) at all. And the soundstage? Like it was recorded.

In my case it replaced an Acoustic Revive 'bilingual' USB cable.

Highly recommended. Thanks Jud to get me in to this beauty.

Roch

Roch -

I am so pleased it is making music for you, my friend.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm currently driving a full Definitive Technology Mythos ST / 10 speaker package. For 2 channel I use the Mythos ST's. I am however considering changing to Klipsch RF-7's with the rest of the surround package or going with the B&W Cm9 surround setup.

I do however fully enjoy the Def Tech's , they are remarkable for a powered tower.

I like the Def Techs also. Just wish they would go ahead and put out a non powered floor standing line up. Their new monitors are terrific and that technology extended into a passive tower speaker would be a winner in my opinion.

Going from Mythos ST's to CM9's would be a sideways move to my ears. Different, not necessarily better.

David

couldnt agree with you more

those usb cable ad's are no different than watching infomerrcials on the golf channel or one those fishing channels

am using a usb cable i found laying around connected from my pc to my little schiit modi and those red/white rca interconnects out from the dac to my avr sound is GRRReat

i MIGHT upscale to aq forrest usb(?~40$) and maybe some outlawaudio interconnects just to see(HEAR) if there is any difference bobbmd(hope you win the 10,000$!)

Wireworld Starlight. I upgraded from a standard USB cable to the UltraViolet and noticed some improved changes to the sound. Then again when I went from UltraViolet to the Starlight I noticed slight improvements again. It's not a night and day difference mind you. Things are just more clear and it's more in the "micro" details that you notice things sound more realistic than they did with a standard USB cable.

• 2 weeks later...
Got a couple of USB goodies today.

1. Cardas Clear USB cable

2. iFI iUSB

I did a lot of combinations with my AQ Cinnamon USB cable and I took a page out of John Kenny's play-book and used 2 short USB adapters from my Mac mini to the iUSB so there's only 3" separating the two. They new items have 2 hours on them, but here are my initial thoughts...

1. John Kenny's $6 worth of adapters scheme sounded better than either of my premium cables. That almost direct connection made a big difference.

2. The Cardas cable was more neutral than the warmer sounding Audioquest. Maybe that will change with more hours on the Cardas. I preferred the AQ Cinnamon by quite a bit, which is funny because I read that someone preferred the Cardas over the AQ. I guess it comes down to your neutral vs warm preference. Initially I sided with the "It might make an ever so slight difference" crowd, so I was surprised by the obvious difference I heard.

3. I wasn't sure what to think of the iUSB at first. The music seemed more laid-back, which turned me off initially. Then I played a few tracks without trying to analyze every nuance. I found that with the iUSB, I was smiling a lot more. Everything was just a pleasure to listen to. Lowering the noise floor and having blacker blacks really creates more intimate vocals for me. An outstanding bang for the buck. I should also mention that I usually have the tube buffer on my Nova engaged to roll the highs off a bit. With the iUSB, I had it off most of the time and the music never got fatiguing, which usually happens sans tube.

I picked up the Cardas Clear and compared it to my Audioquest Forest. I want to get a Carbon but they are back ordered so as soon as they come in , I'm getting one along with a cinnamon . I only have a few hours on the Cardas but I hear basically what you heard. The cardas seems to be very neutral and balanced. I don't think it's doing anything wrong like adding or losing anything to the sound. The Forest seems basically the same way. It's very detailed and clear.

I have about 6 USB cables now that I have been rotating in and out of my system. I have 2 that where DIY from a friend that has no power conductors. Just the 2 signal and 1 ground. One of them sounds as good as the Forest and the other seems like something is wrong with it. Things seem to come up missing from time to time. I don't like that cable at all as even my cheap Belkin 2.0 high speed sounds more right then it. I don't test that cable no more.

I'm very pleased with the Cardas Clear and as I felt about all other cables , once you get it right , there is nothing more you can do to improve the sound quality. I'm starting to fully believe that both the Audioquest Forest and Cardas Clear are properly built , are passing the entire signal as it is and not picking up or losing anything along the way. Once the Audioquest Carbon comes in and I run that cable in , if it sounds like the Clear and Forest , I'm gonna stop testing USB cables. That sound be enough of different cables to tell me that the job is getting done to perfection.

The Carbon is interesting as it has Silver conductors and silver plated connections. This is something I really want to give a full test drive. The Cinnamon only has silver conductors but still uses the same connector the Forest uses in gold plated. I'm not sure how much of a difference that cable will make , I'm gonna test it as well as I hope they come in at the same time so I can run them all in over a solid weekend of testing.

The Carbon is interesting as it has Silver conductors and silver plated connections. This is something I really want to give a full test drive. The Cinnamon only has silver conductors but still uses the same connector the Forest uses in gold plated. I'm not sure how much of a difference that cable will make , I'm gonna test it as well as I hope they come in at the same time so I can run them all in over a solid weekend of testing.

Hi Mantis,

I actually don't think the AQ Carbon USB cable has silver conductors - is actually has 5% silver plating over copper conductors. The AQ Coffee has 10% silver plating over copper conductors (and the DBS system). The AQ Diamond USB cable does have 100% silver conductors and the DBS system (and its quite a bit more expensive). A friend of mine has compared the AQ Carbon to the AQ Diamond USB cables in his system and he felt that the Diamond was a significant improvement over the Carbon.

The opinions about USB cable and their sonic difference are very controversal, indeed.

I have tried standard printer cable and Wireworld all the way up to the most expensive.

My conclusion: The two most expensive WW are excellent, all other cables in this comparison are wasted money, because there are small differences, okay. But I would not really say, one is much better than the next.

I know, Silver & Platinum Starlight are not cheap, but they are worth the money :-)

If you want a pure silver USB get the Pangea Silver. I got a 1 meter for $75 from Audio Advisor. They had a deal last month where if you mailed them back any old USB cable they would give you a $25 credit after your purchase of a Pangea cable. I have the Audioquest Forrest and Cinnamon and they are now setting in their boxes. I also bought the 4% Silver Pangea cable too. The 4% Silver cable is more open and revealing than either of the Audioquest cables and the Pure Silver is even more of an improvement. I would try the Silver Pangea before laying out the big bucks for a Carbon or Diamond cable from Audioquest.

Home made using 4 inches of braided pure silver cable, without the power wire connected. Superb sounding

Have you also tried fitting a 47 ohm 1/2 W resistor in series with the 0 volts line (black wire) ?

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hi Mantis,

I actually don't think the AQ Carbon USB cable has silver conductors - is actually has 5% silver plating over copper conductors. The AQ Coffee has 10% silver plating over copper conductors (and the DBS system). The AQ Diamond USB cable does have 100% silver conductors and the DBS system (and its quite a bit more expensive). A friend of mine has compared the AQ Carbon to the AQ Diamond USB cables in his system and he felt that the Diamond was a significant improvement over the Carbon.

You are correct ,I should have stated in detail about the given cables and construction istead of making a blanket statement about Silver.

I'm using the Oyaide Continental USB Cable, it rocks, full sound all the way! very happy.

Musician Setup

Black Mac Pro 2014 ->Lynx Hilo Thunderbolt ->Synergistic Research Thunderbolt Cable --> Harmonic Tech Magic Link 2 XLR --> Focal Twin BE 6's --> 2 Silent Source The Music Reference Power Cords --> LAT International Signature Power Cords --> Balanced Power Tech AC power Cord with Furutech Connects ->>Balanced Power AC Pure Power Center-->Dedicated AC line with PS Audio Soloist Limited Edition.

Not to go off in a different direction but why is it so hard to find quality, short cables? I need to find a .5MM to 1MM cloth jacketed (I like cloth for portable. no tangles) usb A to mico for week for my portable dac and I can't find a thing under $100 which is silly. I really wish I could make my own.

Not to go off in a different direction but why is it so hard to find quality, short cables? I need to find a .5MM to 1MM cloth jacketed (I like cloth for portable. no tangles) usb A to mico for week for my portable dac and I can't find a thing under $100 which is silly. I really wish I could make my own.

Check out Moon Audio

http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-digital-cables/moon-audio-blue-dragon-usb-cable.html

or ALO audio

ALO USB A - USB mini B

They are both reputable companies and could probably make something total custom for you if you want an even shorter length or different terminations. Who knows they may even be able to cover it on cloth.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Thats funny, ALO is here in town, I bought my solo there and thats the place I dropped $600 in inter-connects for my portable headphone rig. Second thing that is funny is that Moon audio is were I purchased the cable for my custom IEMs.

I never thought to go to either place because in past experience they were very, very expensive. They do meet the under $100 though. Thanks for going to where I dared not.

Here is the thing that is thirdly funny, after spending $1000 dollars on custom cables two years ago I have been scared to death to use anything cheap. It's a fear of not being able to tell the difference. I figure ignorance is bliss. The only reason I am looking for a cable now is that I like cloth covered cables for certain things.

I guess I wil go say Hi to Ken at ALO again. Save on shipping.

Thanks Jsmith

Wireworld USB Starlight - seems better than the PC World predecessor.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Wireworld USB Starlight. I had a 0.5m Aqvox USB cable before. I was not that happy with the sound quality. Build quality was also only soso. The Wireworld, despite it's 1.5m long, is a better match in my system. Will try the iFi cable sometime though.

Auralic Aries -> iFi iUSBPower -> Accuphase DP-720 -> Accuphase E-600 -> B&W 802 Diamond