IGNORED

best recording of Rumours?

What is the best recording SQ wise of Fleetwood Mac Rumours? Is it HD tracks? CD, Is there an hi quality CD version? Thanks.

VPI Classic II Benz Micro, Emotiva ERC-3, Auralic Vega, Modwright LS100 Pre, Wells Audio Inamorata, GR Research H Frame Sub, TWL, Transparent Audio, WyWire, MIT etc.

What is the best recording SQ wise of Fleetwood Mac Rumours? Is it HD tracks? CD, Is there an hi quality CD version? Thanks.

I have the DVD-A version, i assume the HD tracks version is from it?

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

There's an excellent and relatively low-cost Warner SACD.

Damn my cd player only plays redbook. It plays the hybrids too.

VPI Classic II Benz Micro, Emotiva ERC-3, Auralic Vega, Modwright LS100 Pre, Wells Audio Inamorata, GR Research H Frame Sub, TWL, Transparent Audio, WyWire, MIT etc.

Hate to say it, but the half speed mastered version I have from around 1979 still sounds better than anything else. Even when recorded to digital, it still sounds better than the CD or any of the other versions I have heard yet.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Have you looked into the unofficial dr database? If no, maybe it's helpful regarding the search for a good version..

dr database? What is that?

dr database? What is that?

dr = Dynamic Range

Here's a link to Fleetwood Mac Rumours on the DA Database DR Database

I have a rip of the DVD-A version (24/96) and it sounds pretty good. I would think that it would be the best quality now available even though remastering has reduced it's dynamic range.

Based on the DR measurements for the HD Tracks version, it appears that it came from the DVD-A version.

Both the DVD-A and the HDTracks Rumours versions exhibit clipping on some of the best songs - a deal breaker for me :(

Hi Dave,

Which tracks did you find that exhibit clipping? I just checked the tracks I have with Audacity and none of the wave forms show any red red lines that would indicate clipping.

Hi Dave,

Which tracks did you find that exhibit clipping? I just checked the tracks I have with Audacity and none of the wave forms show any red red lines that would indicate clipping.

My favorite track 'Dreams' comes to mind, the others I don't recall at the moment, but not all tracks were affected. There was plenty of obvious clipping, and it sounded like it too. I checked my own DVD-A rip files, and saw very similar results in an old CA thread on the HDTracks files.

What is the source of your files ?

Using Sound Forge 9 with the DVD-A rip, which appears to be what HDtracks has supplied, the only obvious clip that I saw, even when looking at the real time waveform, was about 3.2 seconds in from the start. The rest are very well managed at hitting 0dB without actual clipping evident. I tried using SeeDeClip Duo Pro which restores clipped waveforms, and there was very little obvious sound difference after level normalisation. This seems to confirm what SF9 is finding.

Having said that, I can imagine that the Half Speed mastered vinyl version would be as good as Paul has reported, if it didn't use all that obvious compression.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020