IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Lagoon

Thanks for the Newegg ref. Was able to scare this up along with a Small Green Computer Lagoon kit. Installed everything yesterday. Win8 takes much getting used to (will need to undo the MS damage by implementing more of what I'm used to seeing in Win7).

Everything's working nicely. JRiver with the SotM card along with NAS drive of music into my Ayre DAC sounds far better than my old Amarra based Mac Mini. And I have yet to tweak the OS to disable services/processes that I don't need.

Far more natural yet detailed and expansive sound in my system. Can't wait to get my Berkeley DAC and USB replacements. Any time now...

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

• 2 weeks later...

HEADS UP.... for anyone concerned about the lack of a power light with the recommended Lagoon case.

The one's suppled by Logic Supply EU do have an illuminated power button and yes the case is indeed far nicer in the flesh than as pictured in Chris's write up.

8473490056_76a209d136_m.jpg

My Stuff... & plenty of "maybe useful one day" odds and sods in the attic & workshop...

• 1 month later...

Hello, crew. I am preparing to build out a Lagoon server to replace my CAPS v1, which was the first computer I had ever built -- and the Lagoon will only be the second. I am just awaiting arrival of the specified 64 Gb hard drive (Newegg's site says they will be in tomorrow). Initially, I am not planning to run separate battery power for the server or the SOtM card. From my first CAPS building experience, I realize that there may well be some extra patch cables and the like required to build out the server. As a for example, I've got Windows 8 on a USB stick and will need to get it loaded onto the new hard drive, but don't actually know how to do that with a SATA connector on the drive. It would be very helpful if those of you who have now built the Lagoon to Chris's specs might share what little, but important, things an essentially neophyte computer assembler needs to actually get the job done. I have a local MicroCenter that I can run to for picking up those extra essentials. Thanks much in advance for helping to ease the upcoming frustrations of build-out. JCR

• 1 month later...

I'm building a linux-based server that is probably somewhere between the Topanga and the Lagoon. In the first iteration, I'm using S/PDIF out of the motherboard. This resulted in decent sound; however it was not as full compared to my CD player's sound (I ripped the CD to lossless files). The second iteration (happening as soon as I receive the parts) is going to involve a USB card (not Sotm) feeding into an asynchronous USB DAC. A couple of notes:

- Instead of 64G mSata drive, I'm using a 240G drive from the same mushkin family.

- The LED light actually works. The connections in the pictures for the Topanga and the Lagoon of the LED header are incorrect (reversed). When connected that way, the LED does not light up.

People may be interested in the Linux set up I'm using. Ubuntu 13.04 (latest version) installed with no issues and recognized all the hardware. More details that can be useful to someone trying Linux:

- The default Ubuntu window manager is too heavy for the hardware (too much unnecessary flare). I'm using the fluxbox window manager instead.

- Startup time from pressing the button to fluxbox being up is 10-14 seconds.

- I'm using Deadbeef player. I set it up to use ALSA, auto sample rate detection (i.e. don't force a single sample rate), and no ALSA re-sampling.

- I had to unmute SPDIF in ALSA (using alsamixer). The default is muted, and hopefully this line will save the next person the hour it took me to figure this out.

- I'm using x11vnc on the server. If you don't care about a secure connection to the server, then you can have it startup when fluxbox starts. Otherwise, you can use ssh tunneling (which is what I'm doing right now. I can share the command if someone's interested).

Once I switch to USB, I will have to update the ALSA settings in Deadbeef. I also removed some unnecessary applications that are auto installed with Ubuntu (office-like stuff... there are many others that I'd like to get rid of). I may also uninstall PulseAudio so that ALSA is the only audio output option. Finally, installing Ubuntu from a USB stick was real easy.

• 4 weeks later...

gentlemen,

as i procured all the parts for a lagoon build, i realized i'm missing the wiring harnesses for the sotm board the the ssd drive. they're not in the parts list -- i unfortunately assumed a wiring harness came with the motherboard. where do you guys recommend picking these up? thx!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > sennheiser hd600
gentlemen,

as i procured all the parts for a lagoon build, i realized i'm missing the wiring harnesses for the sotm board the the ssd drive. they're not in the parts list -- i unfortunately assumed a wiring harness came with the motherboard. where do you guys recommend picking these up? thx!

okay, so the wiring harness just was missing from the order. all is good.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > sennheiser hd600
  • 1 month later...
Thanks for the Newegg ref. Was able to scare this up along with a Small Green Computer Lagoon kit. Installed everything yesterday. Win8 takes much getting used to (will need to undo the MS damage by implementing more of what I'm used to seeing in Win7).

Everything's working nicely. JRiver with the SotM card along with NAS drive of music into my Ayre DAC sounds far better than my old Amarra based Mac Mini. And I have yet to tweak the OS to disable services/processes that I don't need.

Far more natural yet detailed and expansive sound in my system. Can't wait to get my Berkeley DAC and USB replacements. Any time now...

Are you using an HDMI monitor attached to the CAPS? I cannot get my new Dell touch monitor to work - aspect and resolution are off. Win8 says MS basic graphics adapter. SGC did not come with driver CD and cannot find Win8 drivers for the Itel graphics.

....FP

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

• 1 month later...
Are you using an HDMI monitor attached to the CAPS? I cannot get my new Dell touch monitor to work - aspect and resolution are off. Win8 says MS basic graphics adapter. SGC did not come with driver CD and cannot find Win8 drivers for the Itel graphics.

....FP

No. Had used a standard RGB connection and after I'd gotten all working correctly I've plugged in a Buffalo WiFi dongle so that I can just use JRemote from my iPad to manage the JRiver player. If I need to go into the OS, I've been using a Mac running a remote desktop (can't recall it's name at the moment).

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Anyone have a hardware problem with the SotM board? Mine appears to have died (no longer seen by BIOS). Tried reseating and it worked for about 2 minutes then sound went and driver disappeared from Win 8 (on reboot again no longer listed as in the PCIe slot). I suppose it could be a problem with the riser card (very unlikely) or the motherboard, but everything else works. System is only a little over 8 months old.

Any suggestions on isolating the source of the problem?

Steve Schaffer

By the way, anyone know the warranty on the SotM board? I've ping'ed Small Green Computer (as I bought the Lagoon from them). Meanwhile, this was a fortuitous failure. Switched over to running my 2 year old MacBook Pro with JRMC 18 instead. Lo and behold it sounds quite a bit better than the Lagoon. Like going to the eye doctor and getting fit with a new prescription. Move focus, clarity, instruments and voices are truer in tonality, spacial position, clarity, etc. I suppose it's a combination of hardware and the Mountain Lion OS and it's drivers. Who knew...

Steve Schaffer

By the way, anyone know the warranty on the SotM board? I've ping'ed Small Green Computer (as I bought the Lagoon from them). Meanwhile, this was a fortuitous failure. Switched over to running my 2 year old MacBook Pro with JRMC 18 instead. Lo and behold it sounds quite a bit better than the Lagoon. Like going to the eye doctor and getting fit with a new prescription. Move focus, clarity, instruments and voices are truer in tonality, spacial position, clarity, etc. I suppose it's a combination of hardware and the Mountain Lion OS and it's drivers. Who knew...

If you were using a laptop brick to power your Lagoon that could also contribute to the difference with your Mac... I've been extremely impressed with my caps which got even better after I upgraded the power supply.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Not willing to spend any more. Small Green Computer has not replied to my question about SotM warranty. That would suggest they'd rather I just "go away". Replacing the board, upwards of $400 at this point, and then spending that again for a DC supply would be throwing good money after bad, so to speak. I've had the luxury of experimenting with the MacBook both powered with its external brick and without (internal battery). Have heard no noticeable sonic difference (might have something to do with the Synergistic PowerCell cleaning things up for all my AC, other than amp/pre-amp). So, I've learned something about the capability of each type of computer solution. The MacBook wins in my system.

Steve Schaffer

• 4 weeks later...
If you were using a laptop brick to power your Lagoon that could also contribute to the difference with your Mac... I've been extremely impressed with my caps which got even better after I upgraded the power supply.

Got a replacement SoTM board back from Small Green Computer. System is back working again (though I did update to Win 8.1 from 8.0). I'm curious what power supply you're using that's helped improve the sound of the CAPS Lagoon. I know that I never had any noise-related issue with the Lagoon, but the MacBook Pro simply lifts the veil from the music that was the Lagoon. If it's not hardware then I'm thinking it may be due to the software stack in the Mac. But it's pretty hard to figure out, since we're talking apples and oranges here (no pun intended).

Steve Schaffer

• 1 year later...
Hello friends...DN2800 is not available here in India.Is this below mentioned can replace the same.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - CPU Onboard - GA-J1800N-D2H (rev. 1.x)

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Max

Hi MAX,

pls be aware that you find the right form factor (FF) for your case, some cases need the "thin" mini itx FF, as the DN2800 has had. If you already have the case, check the FF to use for. Gigabyte offers some MB's with that FF marked as TN behind the platform name.

You might find at logicsupply a replacement board from Mitac. As I could not find a site for India at logicsupply, you may ask directly in Taiwan how the get an offer for that board in India -> http://client.mitac.com/products-embedded-board-PD11TI.html

Be aware that some posters here had a problem with the SATA ports with that board.

Was kinda specific if I rememeber correctly.

Kind Regards & good luck

TOM

Hello friends...DN2800 is not available here in India.Is this below mentioned can replace the same.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Max

Hi MAX,

alternatively you'll find the MITAC Board rplacement for the DN2800

PD11TI Intel Atom Mini-ITX Motherboard | Cedarview | Logic Supply

at logicsupply, but there might be a difference with the sata ports, if I remeber correctly.

BR TOM

I believe the big difference between the Gigabyte and the Intel DN2800 (or the Mitec equivalent) is that the Intel has a DC input power socket while with the Gigabyte you'll need to add something like a picoPSU (not actually sure if this is the correct one by the way).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The DN2800MT went out of production when Intel went out of the motherboard business, shortly after the board was proposed here as a basis for the CAPS. I still got one from an Amazon dealer, and there may still be more stock around. It's really worthwhile to check, since this is a good board. I find the way it accepts a laptop supply more convenient than having to deal with pico supply hardware. It also has more than enough processing power; when I play 192/24 FLAC files, Task Manager shows only about 7% load. Another nice thing of this board is the mSATA port, which I'm using with an SSD that stores the operating system, JRiver Media Center and a couple of other programs.

Be aware, that there is no graphics driver available for Windows 8.1 with this board. I'm using an earlier driver, which works for what I need, but it crashes with certain programs, e.g. most Apps and Internet Explorer. However, Firefox works fine. As I'm using the CAPS mostly via my remote iPad, the driver issue doesn't really bother me nor does it interfere with the audio operation.