IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Lagoon

Seriously. Why don't you guy's just buy a Macbook Air with a SSD and run it on battery mode and be done with it?

Run OSX with PM or something like that..

I've just had a light bulb moment on all this.. The mac air is the answer!

And the darn thing is so thin it will slide under your amp feet. You won't even see it...

If you are worried about jitter or powering the USB from mains..then use firewire. No SOTM usb card required. Nothing.

Hi Wap,

when I was looking at ways of having a computer based music system the very same idea occurred to me...especially since I already had a ma...The biggest problem is the noise that it generates when operating in clamshell mode. Maybe there is a mod to address this, but again this would add expense. Also the ma does not have an ethernet socket, so streaming would have to be wireless. It appears that only one usb port should be used at a time if you are using usb to get to the dac, so any additional external drive would have to be a thunderbolt one. The ma only has two usb ports in any case. Still, if you didn't mind having the laptop open, and streamed wirelessly or from a thunderbolt it might work. It would also mean connecting and disconnecting the machine every time you wanted to listen to music.

My own needs were for a reasonably priced machine capable of good sound, and I went for the caps 1. As the components are older now you could build this quite cheaply, perhaps with s/h parts, and maybe have enough left over to buy the black lightning!

Perhaps someone could offer me some advice on two issues: my current operating system is xp, is it worth upgrading to win 8 whilst the $40 promotion is still on. Secondly, would the black lightning be compatible with the caps 1 board and will I notice the difference even though the rest of the system is really very modest...

Merry Christmas to all,

David Caswell

Hi wap - The MA is a great machine for many people. However it doesn't meet the CAPS requirements.

I've already done the research for everyone and put together a solution that works. Thus, there is no time spent by someone who wants to use a CAPS server.

The Topanga model can be put together in less than 3 minutes (see video) and the Lagoon model may take 10 minutes.

Or, just order it assembled from Small Green Computer.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

First time poster, long time follower. Thanks for all your hard work evaluating/designing these seemingly simple yet very complex servers. I have heard a dozen computer based systems that sound terrible, from an audiophile standpoint.

A few months ago, a friend I listen with and trust auditioned a CAPS v2. Said it was outstanding compared to the server he was using and I had heard. I decided to wait for this release to get involved. I'll have a tech friend (but not an audio guy) purchase and assemble the Lagoon parts for me, and will purchase the RWA power supply separately. Will the power supply be plug and play, or are there changes to the assembly?

Thanks

Hi wap - The MA is a great machine for many people. However it doesn't meet the CAPS requirements.

I've already done the research for everyone and put together a solution that works. Thus, there is no time spent by someone who wants to use a CAPS server.

The Topanga model can be put together in less than 3 minutes (see video) and the Lagoon model may take 10 minutes.

Or, just order it assembled from Small Green Computer.

Chris, it would be interesting to know which CAPS requirements that a Mac Air doesn't, and more usefully, does, meet. Have you compared SQ between them by chance?

Mac Mini/ JK DAC32/ Music First Audio Mk2 Silver/ Krell 402/ Thiel CS3.6

Hi Krikor - Very good questions. The noise I hear without the BL is audible from the listening position. However, this is in my system not anyone else's system. I use a very "touchy" single ended Spectral based system with requirements such as a single circuit for all audio components for best performance. The BL is one sure way to remove any hint of this noise as it completely disconnects the computer PSU from the system. There are likely other solutions and systems that don't need a solution.

Just recently switched out old Hovland pre / VTL 300 (modded to signature 450 level) gear to Spectral DMC-30SS2 and DMA-260 (with the "necessary" Spectral MIT cabling) to drive my Revel Salons (hope to replace with Wilson Alexia's in a few months). I've been using Mac Mini with the usual Samsung SSD 830, external Firewire drive, and Amarra into a Ayre QB-9 DAC.

All sounds fine, but of course, the Lagoon with Black Lightning might well be a significant upgrade. Can you comment on any issues or real pluses I'd find in going this route?

Steve in Alameda (bythebay).

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Quest, yes we've discussed this at length in NAS threads, so i didn't bother to expand. I will though; the entire chain needs to be ready for large files (such as 24/192 and DSD) by making sure the cabling is at least Cat5e, the router is truly gigabit-ready, and the NAS drives are hopefully enterprise-class (i.e ready for 24/7 operation). And reduce or eliminate unnecessary switches between the NAS and server. My NAS is in the next room from my music room and has a 6 ft ethernet to the router, then router is probably 25-30 ft run to the CAPS, going through one wall plate. As I tried to put it simply, all NAS's (even Synology) are not created equal.

Since my last overly-confident post :) I questioned my sanity and re-ran some listening tests with music on both my internal SSD and a good little Oyen Digital locally connected hdd. The fidelity was identical and indistinguishable on the NAS and Oyen, and I felt, frankly, that the SSD-based music was a little harsh (maybe mobo noise). We're talking splitting hairs, though. I think I hear more differences in formats (wav vs flac wars) than these, so I will continue to rest comfortably that my NAS is by no means a sonic hiccup, let alone liability.

Is it the case that you are wiring the NAS to the router (wireless or not) and then wiring the router to the CAPS system? If so, what you're telling me is that alternative external connections (non-Ethernet) are more problematic, and not recommended in this configuration. And it also sounds like nobody is for streaming.

I'd consider wired connections if my ASUS router were anywhere nearby (upstairs today, with both Synology and Sonus directly connected to the router).

Please corroborate and comment.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Thanks for all the replies on the MA..

Looking forward to the next CAPS 3 Carbon then..

Oh yeh... lack of ethernet port on the MA is a definite negative. Pity.

What is it about clamshell mode that stuffs up sound output?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Chris, it would be interesting to know which CAPS requirements that a Mac Air doesn't, and more usefully, does, meet. Have you compared SQ between them by chance?

Here are the requirements. 1,4, and 12 aren't met.

1. Absolutely silent.

2. Capable of great sound.

3. Great looking.

4. No moving parts.

5. Fairly inexpensive.

6. No legacy components.

7. Easy to operate.

Directly or

Remotely

8. Easy to assemble / install

Assembly / installation by one's self or

Assembly / installation by local computer shop, son, daughter, neighbor, or friend.

9. Small size.

10. Low power consumption.

11. Low heat.

12. Accept an add-in card for audio or additional capabilities. Hardware & Software must accept appropriate add-in cards.

13. Play 16/44.1, 24/44.1, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, and 24/192 all bit perfect.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Is it the case that you are wiring the NAS to the router (wireless or not) and then wiring the router to the CAPS system? If so, what you're telling me is that alternative external connections (non-Ethernet) are more problematic, and not recommended in this configuration. And it also sounds like nobody is for streaming.

I'd consider wired connections if my ASUS router were anywhere nearby (upstairs today, with both Synology and Sonus directly connected to the router).

Please corroborate and comment.

Yes, my NAS is part of my gigabit home LAN, and is wired, not wireless. The only wireless aspect of my music system is iPAd remote control with jremote(browsing).

Here are the requirements. 1,4, and 12 aren't met.

1. Absolutely silent.

2. Capable of great sound.

3. Great looking.

4. No moving parts.

5. Fairly inexpensive.

6. No legacy components.

7. Easy to operate.

Directly or

Remotely

8. Easy to assemble / install

Assembly / installation by one's self or

Assembly / installation by local computer shop, son, daughter, neighbor, or friend.

9. Small size.

10. Low power consumption.

11. Low heat.

12. Accept an add-in card for audio or additional capabilities. Hardware & Software must accept appropriate add-in cards.

13. Play 16/44.1, 24/44.1, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, and 24/192 all bit perfect.

Thank you Chris, most helpful.

What are you using to evaluate requirement '1. Absolutely silent'? And how do CAPS and MA compare in quantitative terms?

Mac Mini/ JK DAC32/ Music First Audio Mk2 Silver/ Krell 402/ Thiel CS3.6

I'm pretty naive to this area of endeavour, so could someone explain to me? The Intel DN2800MT board has an SPDIF out header, so wouldn't it avoid the expense of a dedicated USB card to just use SPDIF?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Yes, my NAS is part of my gigabit home LAN, and is wired, not wireless. The only wireless aspect of my music system is iPAd remote control with jremote(browsing).

That's what I sorta' figured. So, in my case, I'll need to add another wireless router (to support an iPad connection in a private local network) and use two of the ports for supporting a NAS box and the Lagoon, right? Or would it be OK to connect a USB drive into the wireless router, rather than encountering the bigger expense of a NAS box? So many routers today offer USB attached drives. The only real complication would be to switch the iPad from one router (getting to the Internet) to the other (local private network). And with single USB powered 2.5 form factor terabyte drives available, that might be the way to go. My uncompressed CD collection on FLAC is far less than a terabyte.

Steve Schaffer

I'm pretty naive to this area of endeavour, so could someone explain to me? The Intel DN2800MT board has an SPDIF out header, so wouldn't it avoid the expense of a dedicated USB card to just use SPDIF?

Hi Snowmonkey - The SPDIF headers on commodity motherboards like this produce bad audio. The jitter numbers are usually sky high. Plus, the SPDIF isn't isolated in any way. The electricity from the motherboard goes right into the SPDIF port on the DAC.

Hi Chris

In your introductory article for CAPS 3, you wrote "...can be taken to the next level with any number of power supply upgrades."

I was expecting to read about several choices of PSs, maybe at different price points. Is the RWA the only one you've tried (other than the wall wart)?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Hi Chris,

You might have missed my question from a few pages back so I have floated it again for comment please.

I am in the process or putting together the parts for the Lagoon as listed.

Being from Australia accessing the recommended Mushkin RAM is causing abit of a problem. We don't seem to get that brand in Australia.

Chris can you tell me if this RAM I have sourced in Australia is a suitable replacement please.

Corsair CM3X4GSD1066 4GB PC-8500 (1066MHz) 204-pin SO-DIMM DDR3 RAM, CL7, Lifetime warranty

Regards Cazzesman

That's what I sorta' figured. So, in my case, I'll need to add another wireless router (to support an iPad connection in a private local network) and use two of the ports for supporting a NAS box and the Lagoon, right? Or would it be OK to connect a USB drive into the wireless router, rather than encountering the bigger expense of a NAS box? So many routers today offer USB attached drives. The only real complication would be to switch the iPad from one router (getting to the Internet) to the other (local private network). And with single USB powered 2.5 form factor terabyte drives available, that might be the way to go. My uncompressed CD collection on FLAC is far less than a terabyte.

This is what I do. I have two wireless networks in my condo, one for access to the Internet and one for my music server. My main computer is in a room at the other end of the condo and there is no way I can run wires from end to end, so two wireless networks it is. I have a CAPS v2 and a Synology DS411 Slim NAS linked together with a gigabit router. As you pointed out the only "complication" is having to switch networks on my iPad when I want to listen to music. I am quite happy not having the CAPS v2 server connected to the Internet.

Colin

Hi Chris,

You mention that "Note: The SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter is not used in the Lagoon design because it doesn't fit with the drive mounted up against the top of the case". All things being equal, would you have preferred to use a SATA filter on the SSD or did your testing determine that there was NO sonic disadvantage of not using the SATA filter? From a pure sonics perspective, has your testing determined that a lower power SSD w/o a SATA filter is superior to that of a mSATA SSD? My apologies if this has been thoroughly discussed in past threads...if it has, if someone would kindly direct me to the relevant thread, I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Wondering if using a Powerline like TrendNet TPL-401E2K to hook up with my existing ASUS wireless router and then plug in the Lagoon would work nearly like a wire. Or would I likely run into other problems of either noise or performance.

Any thoughts?

Steve Schaffer

Wondering if using a Powerline like TrendNet TPL-401E2K to hook up with my existing ASUS wireless router and then plug in the Lagoon would work nearly like a wire. Or would I likely run into other problems of either noise or performance.

Any thoughts?

I recently installed a powerline connection over 3 floors in a friends house. It worked quite well. However, it all depends on the particular internal wiring, and results may vary. You really have to try it out to see how it works in your environment. I would also recommend to search for some recent reviews of powerline network adapters. There are a number of different brands, likely of different quality.

Any thoughts?

Steve,

500Mbps Powerline Adaptors work perfectly for me.

I also know of three Linn Klimax Digital Streamers connected that way. Good enough for them means it's way good enough for me!

There is no degradation of performance or extraneous noise introduced into the system.

Results are exactly the same as if connected by network cable.

A simple two minute job to connect my network player to my NAS, I simply plugged mine in and got on with the rest of my life.

For me KISS has always been the best practice. I simply do not understand the overly sophisticated solutions suggested on forums to achieve the most basic of requirements.

All the best,

John.

1975. First separates system: Leak 2001 Transcription Turntable + Leak 2000 Tuner Amplifier + Leak 2020 Loudspeakers

Steve,

500Mbps Powerline Adaptors work perfectly for me.

I also know of three Linn Klimax Digital Streamers connected that way. Good enough for them means it's way good enough for me!

There is no degradation of performance or extraneous noise introduced into the system.

Results are exactly the same as if connected by network cable.

A simple two minute job to connect my network player to my NAS, I simply plugged mine in and got on with the rest of my life.

For me KISS has always been the best practice. I simply do not understand the overly sophisticated solutions suggested on forums to achieve the most basic of requirements.

All the best,

John.

Thanks. Seems I've options - private network or powerline.

Steve Schaffer

Do you have DB-A (or b,c or d for that matter for you definition of "absolute"? The current design is fanless and uses ssds. It would be interesting to compare ambiant room noise 5 or 10 feet away from the current design with a fan/rotating disk alternitive.

The ma does have an ssd option, but this still has a fan, at least this one here does! When operating in clamshell mode the fan is really very noisy..although in 'normal' laptop operation the ma is almost silent. It also lacks flexible connectivity: there is no ethernet port, only two usbs and a thunderbolt. It does however make a great controller for jriver, via gizmo.

Diogenes, could you tell me if win 8 has sonic advantages over win xp? I'm not sure whether or no to upgrade my os in the caps1. Does wasapi offer an improvement on asio? Many thanks if you can help with this.

Regards,

David Caswell