IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Lagoon

I read at the SOtM website [ SOtM ] , that the "PCIe card " is not compatible with DAC's which are based on Mtech Oem boards.

In your description you advice to use windows 8, will this also solve the issue with the " incompatible" Dac's ? like the Wyred4Sound Dac 2

I have read that if you use Windows 8 the problems with the SotM card and M2Tech drivers is eliminated.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks Ted. Assuming that local vs NAS playback quality are equivalent, I agree that the Lagoon would be a very good choice for me (based on your personal listening testing do you believe this to be the case?). I guess the question that will be answered by Chris as he reveals more about the upcoming more powerful CAPs models is whether they sound better compared to the less powerful CAPs models which have been released to date (under the assumption that they are all paired with the Red Wine power supply, as I plan to make this upgrade). If the answer is no, I'll gladly go with the Lagoon because like many folks on the forum I would like to keep my storage centralized vs dispersed throughout the house. Moreover, since I have over 10,000 uncompressed albums on my NAS, I'd like to better understand whether a lowered power CAPs will be just as robust in quickly populating the JRemote interface with coverart, etc.

Chris, not sure if you'd be willing to also weigh in on some of the questions I pose above -- if so, I would greatly appreciate it!

Incidentally, those with better ears than mine maintain that files stored on a NAS gives inferior SQ to a locally attached disc (with SOtM filter). I'm not interested in a NAS option and prefer a local disc (with regular backup) for several reasons.

Chris and I both have pretty good ears. My Synology NAS is gigabit-ethernet attached, is acoustically and electrically isolated (unlike some local hdd) and sounds as good or better than local Oyen digital drives, etc.. Those folks who report poor NAS sound often try streaming and don't mention it, or have very slow NAS units. Not all are created equal.

Synology makes 30 plus nas configurations based on their website? For those that have one, what model and capacity/drive type did you use and why? My concern is if I buy one that is very fast it may be too loud or buy one insufficient and suffer sonically resulting in a poor investment.

Chris and I both have pretty good ears. My Synology NAS is gigabit-ethernet attached, is acoustically and electrically isolated (unlike some local hdd) and sounds as good or better than local Oyen digital drives, etc.. Those folks who report poor NAS sound often try streaming and don't mention it, or have very slow NAS units. Not all are created equal.

Ted, Chris or others, this raises some questions for me. I'm ready to pull trigger on parts but want to make good decisions.

I'm currently ripping onto two identical external drives, both in my office. One was intended as a working drive and one as an archive. My intention was to have a local external (working) drive sitting close to server, and the other (archival) in my office.

Once I have the bulk of my music collection on hdd, I would set up server in listening room networked via ethernet to office. I'm thinking that as new music was added I would rip to both drives from office system. I imagine it would be slower but since it's likely one or two discs at a time, this didn't concern me.

I'm trying to get my head around why a NAS, rather than two separate drives I'm proposing. Is it the hdd drive noise in listening room? My intuition is urging me to put the working drive near the server and access it via network in my office... the lower priorty for SQ.

As an aside, assuming I set up as described, would it be prudent (or possible) to power the external drive feeding server with the Red Wine power supply.

And by the way, thanks for doing so much of the heavy lifting and sharing your experiences and reccomendations, it means a lot to someone new (but excited!) to the game.

Silver box with blue light > smaller silver box with tiny lights > black box with blue display > black and silver box with glowing glass > reddish brown boxes > living room

Synology makes 30 plus nas configurations based on their website? For those that have one, what model and capacity/drive type did you use and why? My concern is if I buy one that is very fast it may be too loud or buy one insufficient and suffer sonically resulting in a poor investment.

I liked this one very much. -> Computer Audiophile - Synology DS411 Slim Network Attached Storage (NAS) Review

I'm in the middle of reviewing the 1812+ right now.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

hi kevalin

I'm using since about 10 years NAS from QNAP and Synology. Over the years I prefer Synology. Synology NAS are quiet, fast and have better software then QNAP. When you use a NAS is it is wise to run the NAS in RAID5. Diskdrives die after some time. When you use RAID5 failure of 1 disk in the NAS is allowed. You just replace the defective disk and go on. RAID5 costs some disk space. You lose about 12% of the capacity. When you have to choose between various NAS models you don't need extra RAM or a fast processor for streaming music, however when you (also) play large MKV or Bluray movies you are better of with a fast processor. The size of the NAS depends on how much data you (expect to) have. I use for Music a Synology 1512+ plus a DX510 extension, altogether 20Tb. Hope this information helps. Sorry for my bad english :-)

Ted, Priaptor,

Thanks for your feedback. It sounds like the Lagoon configuration is just what I need. I do have one additional question which Ted may have a perspective on. Chris mentions above that the Lagoon case space constraints does not allow for a Sotm SATA filter between the SSD and the motherboard. Since all of my equipment is located on HRS racks in a mud room located behind my listening room and out of eyesight, I can likely build a Lagoon in a slightly larger case that would accommodate a SATA filter (or just keep the top cover off of the case Chris recommends for the Lagoon). Based on your listening experience, have you had the opportunity to test whether adding a SATA cable filter improves the sound?

Thanks again,

Blake

this is an easy one :~)

go into the preferences of Remote Desktop. Upper left when rd is running. Set the audio to remote computer only and adjust screen resolution accordingly.

Hello again Chris,

One small hiccup (again!)... I am trying to rip a few cd's now using remote desktop and... dBpoweramp is not finding the CD Drive... I went to preferences on RD and options on dBpoweramp but I can't seem to find anything regarding the CD drive... I know it has to be there and it is most probably obvious but after 45 minutes I just don't see It...

Would you be kind enough, once again, to enlighten me here please?

Thank you!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

I liked this one very much. -> Computer Audiophile - Synology DS411 Slim Network Attached Storage (NAS) Review

I'm in the middle of reviewing the 1812+ right now.

Anyone with NAS storage, particularly Synology, what hard drives do you use and why? Some recommend a combination of different manufacturers because of different failure times. Any particular ones to avoid? What are the ideal quiet ones. Synology recommends enterprise grade drives for NAS, particularly for data recovery effectiveness in RAID.

Although this may be best for another thread, some insight would help others as well.

Thanks.

-j

Chris stated in his comments on the Lagoon build:

The SOtM tX-USBexp has been problematic under certain conditions. When using the card with Windows 7 I had many issues including very distorted sound and stuttering during playback. This was unacceptable so I stopped using the card with Windows 7. I tracked the issue down to the drivers included with the card from SOtM. USB 3.0 was not included in any PCs when Windows 7 was released and Microsoft still hasn't included native support for USB 3.0 devices. Thus the need for separate device driver installation.

Since I'm in the midst of trying to get my server functioning using both the SOtM tX-USBexp and Windows 7, this comment really concerned me. Has everyone found the SOtM driver to be a problem? Are there better drivers or an update? I'm sure this could be DAC dependent, but I'd rather not be limited that way, since I'm still auditioning DACs. Any comments/solutions/reassurances would be welcome, especially if Jesus can weigh in. Thanks.

I don't think it is as straight-forward an answer as this.

I own a 1812+ via gigabit, and NAS sound is not as good as internal drive by quite a large margin.

There are a few reasons I could think of that causes variance though - drives used internally and the NAS being different, power supply to the NAS (I can hear differences to power cords to the NAS), ethernet cables (length and quality).

Quest, yes we've discussed this at length in NAS threads, so i didn't bother to expand. I will though; the entire chain needs to be ready for large files (such as 24/192 and DSD) by making sure the cabling is at least Cat5e, the router is truly gigabit-ready, and the NAS drives are hopefully enterprise-class (i.e ready for 24/7 operation). And reduce or eliminate unnecessary switches between the NAS and server. My NAS is in the next room from my music room and has a 6 ft ethernet to the router, then router is probably 25-30 ft run to the CAPS, going through one wall plate. As I tried to put it simply, all NAS's (even Synology) are not created equal.

Since my last overly-confident post :) I questioned my sanity and re-ran some listening tests with music on both my internal SSD and a good little Oyen Digital locally connected hdd. The fidelity was identical and indistinguishable on the NAS and Oyen, and I felt, frankly, that the SSD-based music was a little harsh (maybe mobo noise). We're talking splitting hairs, though. I think I hear more differences in formats (wav vs flac wars) than these, so I will continue to rest comfortably that my NAS is by no means a sonic hiccup, let alone liability.

Ted,

you say not all synology nas drives are created equal. Is it fair to say any model with a + sign is ideal and any you know specifically to avoid? Thanks

Sorry, I simply meant that Synology NAS's can be set up inefficiently too. I am not a Synology guru, so no idea which are better than others, sorry.

Hi all, probably a remedial question but can someone explain why 12v is recommended for the intel board when then spec range is much wider? Also, why the attention to a couple watts on the masts vs sata? Is it linked to audio quality, longer time between charges on the RWA PS? Lower power equals lower power noise? Just trying to understand some of the basics as I already have a msata and also trying to spec my PS in a more thoughtful way.

many thanks.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

It's a battery with a charger in a box. They didn't build the battery, they bought it. There's nothing special about their charger, it sounds like a standard design. The box, do a search. You can probably find a nice looking box. It’s just an assembled subsystem, just like your CAPS. It won’t look like a bomb. Besides how often does the TSA come to your house to check up on you?

PS: I've been buddies with the Tesla founders (the real ones, not Elon) for three startups back. I even received founders shares in exchange for some work I did for them. I know what’s involved it integrating batteries into products. They look like they are doing assembly, not engineering.

Diogenes - Your words "it sounds like a standard design." and "You can probably find a nice looking box." are telling that you really don't know much about the product or the target market. The charger isn't in the box either. I actually searched for batteries and chargers for a similar design and it was frustrating for someone like me who doesn't build these products for a living. The fact that RWA doesn't build the battery is a good thing. Other manufacturers are far better at building batteries. In fact most companies don't build all the components for the products they sell and that doesn't make me want to DIY such a product. Your "buddies" at Tesla likely outsource many of the components as well.

I also don't really care about the TSA. I'd rather not look at a bomb-like device in my high end audio system.

Assembly versus engineering really doesn't matter to me. There's R&D involved either way that most people don't have the time or skill to do on their own.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi all, probably a remedial question but can someone explain why 12v is recommended for the intel board when then spec range is much wider? Also, why the attention to a couple watts on the masts vs sata? Is it linked to audio quality, longer time between charges on the RWA PS? Lower power equals lower power noise? Just trying to understand some of the basics as I already have a msata and also trying to spec my PS in a more thoughtful way.

many thanks.

I mean mSata versus Sata SSD... typo.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Chris stated in his comments on the Lagoon build:

Since I'm in the midst of trying to get my server functioning using both the SOtM tX-USBexp and Windows 7, this comment really concerned me. Has everyone found the SOtM driver to be a problem? Are there better drivers or an update? I'm sure this could be DAC dependent, but I'd rather not be limited that way, since I'm still auditioning DACs. Any comments/solutions/reassurances would be welcome, especially if Jesus can weigh in. Thanks.

I am not sure if its about ( driver, dac hardware or windows 7/8) , i mailed the US website of SoTM to ask them if windows 8 would be a solution or if my DAC is not compatible .

when i get an answer i will let you know

Does the Black Lightning Battery Power Supply charge one battery, while the other battery is used on dual battery configuration ?

I understood that the SOtM mBPS-d2s Intelligent Battery Power Supply does that, but it can only be used for powering the SOtM USB card.

I am looking for a solution that will not require a flip of a switch whenever I wan to listen to my music.

Seriously. Why don't you guy's just buy a Macbook Air with a SSD and run it on battery mode and be done with it?

Run OSX with PM or something like that..

I've just had a light bulb moment on all this.. The mac air is the answer!

And the darn thing is so thin it will slide under your amp feet. You won't even see it...

If you are worried about jitter or powering the USB from mains..then use firewire. No SOTM usb card required. Nothing.

Yeh it's a bit more expensive than CAPS, but seriously guys..by the time you've spent the hrs researching all this, and hrs putting it all together..and adding all the expensive battery add on's..you've well and truly paid for the air (and some) , and will be up and running (off "grid") with not a spinning disc in earshot in no time.

And you can the take your air with you and use it for something else.

You could also use the thunderbolt interface for DAS if you were so inclined

If you want JRiver then run it under Win on the mac. Or wait for the pure OSX release

Time is money folks. What ya all earn. $100 per hr or something? 10 hrs fooling around with CAPS and you could get an air and be done with it :)

Cheers

Wap

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra