IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Lagoon

I have not yet Windows 8 installed, but with JRiver and Windows 7, Event Style WASAPI is truly inferior to ASIO4ALL (or any other ASIO Out Kernel Access) under XP.

Juergen

Juergen I'm not quite sure I follow your statement there.

Are you saying that

** Event Style WASAPI under Windows 7

is inferior to

** ASIO4ALL (or other ASIO) under XP

So therefore you are recommending using XP and ASIO4All in preference to Windows 7 and WASAPI?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

This is what makes the world go 'round, I guess. Cuz I dislike ASIO4all; it sounds like what it is, an emulator. It sounds harsh to me. I've run J River WASAPI-Event style in Win 8 from day one and it is miles (lightyears might be a bit much) ahead sonically. Your mileage OBVIOUSLY may vary. !

Hi Chris,

Chris can you tell me if this RAM I have sourced in Australia is a suitable replacement please.

Corsair CM3X4GSD1066 4GB PC-8500 (1066MHz) 204-pin SO-DIMM DDR3 RAM, CL7

Cazzesman, I don't see a reply yet from Chris & I'm no expert, but what you've listed should be fine? The Mushkin RAM has these specs:

4GB Single Kit

DDR-1066 (PC-8500)

DDR3 204-PIN SODIMM

1.5V

7-7-7-20

From what I can find online the CL7 refers to RAM timing which is probably not important in a PC design like this where performance is not the key objective. Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.

A year or so back, I think you helped me with my CAPS V2 build (on another forum). Hope your V3 build goes well.

Cazzesman, I don't see a reply yet from Chris & I'm no expert, but what you've listed should be fine? The Mushkin RAM has these specs:

4GB Single Kit

DDR-1066 (PC-8500)

DDR3 204-PIN SODIMM

1.5V

7-7-7-20

From what I can find online the CL7 refers to RAM timing which is probably not important in a PC design like this where performance is not the key objective. Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.

A year or so back, I think you helped me with my CAPS V2 build (on another forum). Hope your V3 build goes well.

Thanks Stuart. Appreciate the feedback. All my parts have been ordered for Lagoon V3 and are on the way ;-)

Regards Cazzesman

Chris, Small Green has a custom wiring harness listed as a part of their kit. I didn't see any mention of the harness in the write-up. Would you provide some color on this part for anyone that might source this version and build themself.

Thanks,

I second this one, I also noticed this on SGPc and wondered what it was and where it could be found in the build.

Quoted as

"Custom internal power harness, built with silver plated wire connecting the tX-USB to it's power source. Includes inrush current limiter needed for some external power sources,"

4GB Single Kit

DDR-1066 (PC-8500)

DDR3 204-PIN SODIMM

1.5V

7-7-7-20

The CAS latency timings (7-7-7-7-20) are only important for applications that need every tiny little drop of speed. These low CAS timings are typically used by hardcore gamers to eek out a few more frames per second in video games, and I'm sure there are some business and scientific applications that would run better with faster, low latency memory.

For the purpose of a home audio server I would not worry about CAS latencies. Not even a little. Even high latency DDR3-1066 RAM will be more than fast enough to play the most demanding high resolution tracks.

I personally prefer G.Skill, Crucial and Corsair RAM. Mushkin has been around for a while but I've never used them. For a CAPS server the ~$20 G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 SoDIMMs are all you really need.

Whatever works.

Anyone know why the PCIe backplate/riser costs $44 when ordered with the MC500 case from Logic Supply, but the parts ordered separately only come to $27 ($17 for the backplate and $10 for the riser)? I'm assuming the $44 includes an installation fee, but just what to be sure I'm ordering the correct items. Also, it seems you are better off ordering the board and case individually rather than part of the Atom-MC500 package since the latter locks you into ordering RAM which is quite a bit more expensive than you can get elsewhere.

And lastly, if you want to go way cheap on the enclosure, the M350 at $40 will save you some money but can also use the backpate and riser spec'ed for the MC500 (according to the Logic Supply description DN2800MT Expandable I/O Shield). Of course, this may violate the "good looking" CAPS requirement for some.

Getting ready to build!

C.A.P.S. V3 Boekeloo (Topanga Plus/Lagoon Lite) running W8-64/JRiver > AQ Coffee USB > W4S m-PRE > SDS-450 mono amps > Magnepan 10.1 (modded xovers) & dual ACI Force subs

So all this talk about isolating the CAPS with a battery supply to help prevent computer-generated noise from entering through your audio system's backdoors got me thinking - isn't the NAS and for that matter all the other computers and electrical crap in the house also putting noise in through the backdoors?

Chris and I both have pretty good ears. My Synology NAS is gigabit-ethernet attached, is acoustically and electrically isolated (unlike some local hdd) and sounds as good or better than local Oyen digital drives, etc.

ted_b - how is your NAS electrically isolated? I have my audio system on a dedicated AC circuit, but are you doing anything more elaborate? I see us all needing battery supplies for the NAS boxes as well :)

Even powering the server dual power supply from a true AC regenerator did not stop the server caused power line noise from going out the "backdoor" and being present on the power cables going into the amp and DAC.

barrows - did you try the AC regenerator on just the audio system and if so did you still measure server-generated power line noise getting through the regenerator? I use an AC regenerator on my audio components and will be trying out a battery supply to isolate my CAPS once I get it up and running.

Thanks!

C.A.P.S. V3 Boekeloo (Topanga Plus/Lagoon Lite) running W8-64/JRiver > AQ Coffee USB > W4S m-PRE > SDS-450 mono amps > Magnepan 10.1 (modded xovers) & dual ACI Force subs

ted_b - how is your NAS electrically isolated? I have my audio system on a dedicated AC circuit, but are you doing anything more elaborate? I see us all needing battery supplies for the NAS boxes as well :)

Without getting pedantic, I simply meant that a NAS in another room, on another separate circuit (and not near the audio one in the mains box, nor on the same side), and connected only via ethernet, is both electrically isolated (from direct circuit back door stuff), as well as acoustically (i.e you don't hear it nor does it vibrate with the music). Your contention that all things electrical are susceptible is theoretically sound, I guess, but practically moot IMO.

Without getting pedantic, I simply meant that a NAS in another room, on another separate circuit (and not near the audio one in the mains box, nor on the same side), and connected only via ethernet, is both electrically isolated (from direct circuit back door stuff), as well as acoustically (i.e you don't hear it nor does it vibrate with the music).

I was only kidding about the battery supplies for NAS and assumed you simply had the NAS on a different circuit. But hey, you never know, I've seen some really extreme efforts! Thanks.

Lagoon is built and working on the bench. Yippee!!!!!!. JRMC V18 installed, Win8 installed, Sotm working with the AP2 after some messing with drivers.

The only software I have put on the Lagoon is JRMC and Fidelizer.

I have tweaked Win8 as per the instructions on another audio forum relating to what to turn off and adjust. I will use the Fidelizer to do the rest.

Q1. Are there any other programs that I need that will help audio quality?

Regards Cazzesman

For those interested on some feedback on the Lagoon. After buying all the exact parts and putting it together 100% per Chris's instruction I am happy to say....................I'm overjoyed at the sound it is producing. Even my wife was shocked by the improved sound from old PC (using the Sotm Pcie) to new Lagoon with Sotm Pcie installed.

At this stage I am still tweaking the settings but after swinging through Adele and Eric Clapton Unplugged I eventually settled in for some more precise listening with the 24/96 version of Porcupine Tree's - Lightbulb Sun. I have heard this CD 50 times atleast and today I just kept hearing stuff I had never heard before.

Instruments/vocals were crystal clear and 'oh so' precisely pinpoint in Depth and soundstage. Drummer Harrison never sounded so good, bouncing all over every track. Everything just seemed to snap into focus and I suspect all the old favorite Albums will be on high rotation in due course.

I'm also happy that I gave it a go to put my own Lagoon together. I had a few little hiccups along the way but it was a great learning curve for my first PC build and install.

Thanks for all all your efforts Chris.

Regards Cazzesman

For those interested on some feedback on the Lagoon. After buying all the exact parts and putting it together 100% per Chris's instruction I am happy to say....................I'm overjoyed at the sound it is producing. Even my wife was shocked by the improved sound from old PC (using the Sotm Pcie) to new Lagoon with Sotm Pcie installed.

At this stage I am still tweaking the settings but after swinging through Adele and Eric Clapton Unplugged I eventually settled in for some more precise listening with the 24/96 version of Porcupine Tree's - Lightbulb Sun. I have heard this CD 50 times atleast and today I just kept hearing stuff I had never heard before.

Instruments/vocals were crystal clear and 'oh so' precisely pinpoint in Depth and soundstage. Drummer Harrison never sounded so good, bouncing all over every track. Everything just seemed to snap into focus and I suspect all the old favorite Albums will be on high rotation in due course.

I'm also happy that I gave it a go to put my own Lagoon together. I had a few little hiccups along the way but it was a great learning curve for my first PC build and install.

Thanks for all all your efforts Chris.

Regards Cazzesman

Thanks for the update! Which Power supply are you using?

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Remote Desktop Connection issue - I currently have a home PC that is networked via LAN to a mini PC that is for pure Audio (CAPS V3 Lagoon). The main PC has JRMC V17 installed.

The Lagoon has windows 8 - 32bit OS and JRMC V18 installed. I run the Lagoon via USB to Audiophilleo2 (AP2) direct into my Digital Amp. It all works flawlessly.

The Lagoon is meant to run 'headless' but I have a monitor, mouse and keyboard attached for the initial setup.

I have set up a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to the Lagoon from the main PC to perform maintenance and operate JRMC V18.

The RDC works fine to the Lagoon and JRMC up until I try and play a song.

Via RDC the JRMC V18 will not recognise the AP2 in the 'Output Option'. Operating the Lagoon directly it will find the AP2 in 'Output Options', but via the RDC to the Lagoon it will only give me the 'Output Option' of 'Remote Audio'. So because the RDC won't acknowledge the presence of the AP2 it won't play any tracks.

Any suggestions.

Regards Cazzesman

I am looking into building the Lagoon and the question I have is in regards to the Sotm USB card! If I am using the Halid Bridge converter which does it's own handling of d-a conversion; would there be no real advantage in the extra cost of the Sotm versus using the USB off the MOB? Thanks Sam

C.A.P. Pipeline, windows pro 10 > Roon > SOtM USB > Keces power supply > HDplex power supply > 4x2 HD Mini DSP > Ayre DSD QB-9 > Naim CDX > ModWright 9 S.E. Preamp > A21 Parasound Amplifier > Magnepan .7 > Augie's Dipole sub, ML sub, DIY sub > Dedicated room with acoustical treatment.

I am looking into building the Lagoon and the question I have is in regards to the Sotm USB card! If I am using the Halid Bridge converter which does it's own handling of d-a conversion; would there be no real advantage in the extra cost of the Sotm versus using the USB off the MOB? Thanks Sam

The SotM card is designed to give a purer power to any USB DAC or USB to SPDIF converter...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Remote Desktop Connection issue - I currently have a home PC that is networked via LAN to a mini PC that is for pure Audio (CAPS V3 Lagoon). The main PC has JRMC V17 installed.

The Lagoon has windows 8 - 32bit OS and JRMC V18 installed. I run the Lagoon via USB to Audiophilleo2 (AP2) direct into my Digital Amp. It all works flawlessly.

The Lagoon is meant to run 'headless' but I have a monitor, mouse and keyboard attached for the initial setup.

I have set up a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to the Lagoon from the main PC to perform maintenance and operate JRMC V18.

The RDC works fine to the Lagoon and JRMC up until I try and play a song.

Via RDC the JRMC V18 will not recognise the AP2 in the 'Output Option'. Operating the Lagoon directly it will find the AP2 in 'Output Options', but via the RDC to the Lagoon it will only give me the 'Output Option' of 'Remote Audio'. So because the RDC won't acknowledge the presence of the AP2 it won't play any tracks.

Any suggestions.

Regards Cazzesman

Here was the answer I received from MGD on the JRMC forum that work and fixed my problem.....

In your remote session, make sure you're not set to play audio on the local machine (the one you're connecting with). When connecting, just press the "Show Options" button on the lower left-hand corner.

The Show Options enabled me to select the Audio Output from the Lagoon and the AP2 took over.

Regards Cazzesman

"Also, I could not locate readily available RAM modules with low voltage of 1.35v. Thus, a single 1.5v module was selected."

I've found a 1.35v stick, but wondering if it is worth it if the mobo doesn't support this voltage. Can you set the DN2800mt RAM voltage to 1.35v? Perhaps I'm not understanding how this works.

Also, I assume it doesn't matter if you run higher speed RAM (1333) if that's all that is available and it will just run at the speed supported by the mobo. I know the basics of how to put together a system, but some of these details I'm still learning. Thanks.

recently setup my Caps3 Lagoon from SGC. THe usb DAC i use is Cambridge audio Azur 851 cd player and dac. My problem is no software patch exists to utilize the 24/192 capability of dac to compliment the windows 8pro IOS of my Caps3. If anyone has had a similar problem that they have overcome I would b most interested

• 2 weeks later...

HEADS UP!! The Samsung 840 Pro 128GB drives are on sale right now at Newegg.com for $119.99.

It will come up as $139.99, but just enter promo code EMCXWVR22 to get the lower price. Free shipping to boot! Wish I had this two weeks ago.