IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Lagoon

Hi Chris,

Is it possible to order the CAPS V3 to an european dealer?

Best regards,

Didier

I called Logic Supply EU today. They have all in stock. I ordered all and will receive all within 24 hours. Prices are somewhat higher as in the USA. The backplate + riser are difficult to find on the website. You will find it here:I/O Shield for DN2800MT in M350/MC500 Chassis with Expansion + PCIe x1 Riser Card

What happens when the battery dies ? Is there an auto charge option, that would allow uninterrupted operation from mains supply ?

from the RWA site:

Flip a switch and enjoy unlimited play time for your marathon listening sessions

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

What happens when the battery dies ? Is there an auto charge option, that would allow uninterrupted operation from mains supply ?

the BL only recharges when the unit it is powering is off. But, from the RWA site:

Flip a switch and enjoy unlimited play time for your marathon listening sessions

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Chris,

First, I do appreciate your endeavors and everyone who contributes to this forum. In anticipation for building a v3.0, I ordered the Sonore SOtM Intellegent Battery supply. Would I benefit from using both the Red Wine set up for the server and the Sonore for the USB PCI exp? Or would I be better off to use the Red Wine for both, as you have? Any thoughts on the previous combination? Thanks.

Chris,

First, I do appreciate your endeavors and everyone who contributes to this forum. In anticipation for building a v3.0, I ordered the Sonore SOtM Intellegent Battery supply. Would I benefit from using both the Red Wine set up for the server and the Sonore for the USB PCI exp? Or would I be better off to use the Red Wine for both, as you have? Any thoughts on the previous combination? Thanks.

I haven't used the SOtM Intelligent Battery supply so I really can't answer that question.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'm a little surprised this build and the forthcoming Carbon build doesn't use the mSata configuration like Ted's V2+. Too much power apparently but thought it did have some great advantages. Carbon will also use the same Sotm card? Thoughts?

My CAPS V2+ initially used the Samsung 830 SSD (predecessor to Chris's 840 low power SSD recommendation). He and I discussed mSATA and I added it, but don't use it personally. I have many folks that built the V2+ with it (mSATA), though, and don't experience any power issues.

Wow Diogenes - Did someone tick you off this morning? The BL is more than you describe. I wouldn't build a battery power supply and expect better results than the BL just as I wouldn't build other audio components and expect better results. That's just me however. I like the look of the BL and the ease with which is operates. If I wanted a bunch of wires that look like a home made bomb I may go for some DIY battery solution.

Join the club, Chris. I battled him on the "the CAPS V3 Topanga is nothing but a bunch of" posts on another CAPS thread here, and reminded him of your goals and objectives, especially expandability and future-proofing.

Kevalin,

I've tried the SOtM intelligent battery pack and it works as advertised (and Jesus is offering a discount on my CAPS thread). However, there is always more than one way to skin this cat, and Chris's approach with Vinnie, to create a dual rail battery solution, is also a good very good one, and also takes care of the Hynes-powered mobo side of the equation in my CAPS example. If you order from Vinnie, the SOtM battery is not needed; it's redundant.

First off, thanks to Chris for his CAPS designs (as well as ted_b for his CAPSv2+ here and over at AC) and this website. I've been lurking for quite awhile and I am finally getting ready to build my own CAPS. I'll be getting a subscription to the site shortly as a show of gratitude and (not the least of which) to get those great discounts including J River :)

I'm finding the talk of noise intriguing and a bit disconcerting. If I've read the article correctly, Topanga and previous CAPS designs without a battery supply suffer from "very audible and unmistakable" noise, even when a track is not being played, described as "harsh electrical noise through my speakers." Perhaps I'm reading too much into this.

Currently I am running a wired Squeezebox Touch (wifi disabled with linear supply and software mods) through my DAC via SPDIF and I find it utterly quiet at the speakers, albeit I have some very low-level hum directly from the power supply which the Elpacs are notorious for. As pointed out in a previous comment, perhaps one of the advantages of having a zone player and remote server is that you keep the computer noise feeding back into the line far from your system. I doubt I will be able to pop for the RW BL battery supply, so the noise issue has me a bit concerned.

Just what level of noise are we talking about without the RW BL?

What power conditioning devices are used in the test system and how are these configured (are the DAC, amp, etc. on different isolated zones from the server)? I didn't see any specifics on this in your system description.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

C.A.P.S. V3 Boekeloo (Topanga Plus/Lagoon Lite) running W8-64/JRiver > AQ Coffee USB > W4S m-PRE > SDS-450 mono amps > Magnepan 10.1 (modded xovers) & dual ACI Force subs

I use Microsoft's Remote Desktop from both my Mac and Windows computers to control the CAPS servers.

Connect to another computer using Remote Desktop Connection

Chris,

When you say you can connect from your Mac, do you mean OSX or a Windows bootcamp Mac? I would like to control my Win8Pro desktop from my Mountain Lion MacBookAir. Is that possible (the link you gave doesn't talk about OSX)?

Also, is remote desktop in essence like a VNC client such as Splashtop?

Thank you!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

Chris,

When you say you can connect from your Mac, do you mean OSX or a Windows bootcamp Mac? I would like to control my Win8Pro desktop from my Mountain Lion MacBookAir. Is that possible (the link you gave doesn't talk about OSX)?

Also, is remote desktop in essence like a VNC client such as Splashtop?

Thank you!

Yep, I control all my Windows servers from OS X using the Microsoft Remote Desktop client for Mac. Windows 8 Pro already has remote desktop built-in so you just need the client for your Mac. I like it better than VNC or splashtop clients.

Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac | Office For Mac

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Krikor - Very good questions. The noise I hear without the BL is audible from the listening position. However, this is in my system not anyone else's system. I use a very "touchy" single ended Spectral based system with requirements such as a single circuit for all audio components for best performance. The BL is one sure way to remove any hint of this noise as it completely disconnects the computer PSU from the system. There are likely other solutions and systems that don't need a solution.

Yep, I control all my Windows servers from OS X using the Microsoft Remote Desktop client for Mac. Windows 8 Pro already has remote desktop built-in so you just need the client for your Mac. I like it better than VNC or splashtop clients.

Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac | Office For Mac

Thanks a lot Chris! I just did It and It worked...!!! Yeah!

I haven't play with It much now but JRiver doesn't seem to work though... Keeps telling me the output is no good... And now the (JR's) output mode settings doesn't show my rDac anymore as If JRiver now thinks its on the MacBookAir or something...

Any ideas why? Do I have to change settings and If so, do I have to do It every time I use RDC?

Also, do you have a tip to get full screen on the Mac?

Sorry If I hijacked the thread...

Thanks a lot Chris! I just did It and It worked...!!! Yeah!

I haven't play with It much now but JRiver doesn't seem to work though... Keeps telling me the output is no good... And now the (JR's) output mode settings doesn't show my rDac anymore as If JRiver now thinks its on the MacBookAir or something...

Any ideas why? Do I have to change settings and If so, do I have to do It every time I use RDC?

Also, do you have a tip to get full screen on the Mac?

Sorry If I hijacked the thread...

this is an easy one :~)

go into the preferences of Remote Desktop. Upper left when rd is running. Set the audio to remote computer only and adjust screen resolution accordingly.

Chris, I'd like to personally thank you for the research as well as all the trial and error that has gone into the various C.A.P.S. versions to date. I'm planning to build a server and you're saving me hundreds if not thousands by being able to avoid the cost of figuring out the various options and components that work best together at various price points. I hope everyone fully understands the value.

Technical question: I have chosen to use a separate USB to AES/EBU converter. My converter of choice only supports high current USB 2.0. I see the SOtM PCIe card is a USB 3.0 specification. I assume the lowest denominator rules. Could you address any concerns.....I'm not sure exactly what I'm giving up with this configuration. Should I not be concerned?......consider another configuration, etc.? I assume a lot of DAC's currently in use also do not support USB 3.0 at this time so this issue may have a broader appeal.

Thanks again,

Hi Chris,

Thanks again for your tireless effort to bring the computer audiophile community one step closer to the absolute sound (whatever that may be)! Just a quick question for you and perhaps others in the forum who may have an informed perspective: when choosing a CAPS model, should any consideration be given to the sonic pluses or minuses of storing music on the local SSD vs. streaming from a NAS? Based on your description above, it sounds like you spend most of the time playing music from your NAS, but I'm not sure if this means you stream from your NAS or transfer files from your NAS onto the local CAPS SSD and then playback. Has your personal listening experience suggested that streaming and local playback yield the same sonic results? Your perspective on this would be greatly appreciated as it will greatly influence whether I (and perhaps others) build a CAPS with more or less local storage capacity.

Many thanks!

Blake

this is an easy one :~)

go into the preferences of Remote Desktop. Upper left when rd is running. Set the audio to remote computer only and adjust screen resolution accordingly.

Thanx a zillion times Chris! Works like a charm! I've been looking for something like this for the longest time. No more need for the plasma and the glasses... YEAH!!!

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hi Chris,

Thanks again for your tireless effort to bring the computer audiophile community one step closer to the absolute sound (whatever that may be)! Just a quick question for you and perhaps others in the forum who may have an informed perspective: when choosing a CAPS model, should any consideration be given to the sonic pluses or minuses of storing music on the local SSD vs. streaming from a NAS? Based on your description above, it sounds like you spend most of the time playing music from your NAS, but I'm not sure if this means you stream from your NAS or transfer files from your NAS onto the local CAPS SSD and then playback. Has your personal listening experience suggested that streaming and local playback yield the same sonic results? Your perspective on this would be greatly appreciated as it will greatly influence whether I (and perhaps others) build a CAPS with more or less local storage capacity.

Many thanks!

Blake

Chris (AND I) do neither with our Synology NAS's. We simply use them as a file server on the network, pointing J River to them as if they were local folders. No streaming, and no moving to local SSD, etc. Just use the files on the NAS.

Thanks Ted. I really appreciate your prompt feedback. If I'm not mistaken, is it fair to say that your CAPS2+ is very much akin to Chris's CAPS3 Lagoon? I too have a Synology server so it sounds like there really wouldn't be any sonic benefit of building one of Chris's pricier CAPS3 models that have more local storage since I already own a NAS. Would you agree? Also, do you find that JRemote populates the cover art, etc. quickly on atom based computer?

Thanks again

Many thanks to Chris and the CA readers for the wealth of information available regarding the CAPS v3's. I'm being driven nuts by fan noise from my HP desktop. I recently moved and have a whole new set of acoustic and functional issues to deal with. Not the least of which is moving the computer into the same room as the HiFi. Previously, I had my computer and USB>SPDIF in my bedroom and the stereo in the living room. Acoustic noise from the fan could be eliminated by closing the door to the bedroom. This new set-up doesn't allow for that. It makes quiet passsages in Jazz, Blues, and Rock unpleasant, and Classical unlistenable. This is a great time for the release of the new CAPS v3's! I really think, by meeting the fanless requirement, the Topanga would be a huge step forward. I can, however, easliy see myself wondering what sonic improvements would be offered by the SOtM USB card, then the RWA Black Lightning. I've been bombarding Andrew at Small Green Computer with questions about these servers. I decided to go to the source and see if the CA readers would have any recommendations. I want a small chassis. Even if it looks at home with other high end audio equipment, I will most likely keep my computers and Bel Canto REF Link at my desk and the DAC and amplification on the rack. This would mean I don't need the Carbon or Zuma. An option I've been kicking around with Andrew is a CAPS 2.1 of which there are still a few available. I like the chassis better, and I wonder if there's an advantage to the 64 bit MB/OS(?) The HDMI outs of this new board kinda equal that out though. I would like to, eventually, get a Black Lightning. Would this work with the 2.1 as well? Could I get by with a single RWA battery for this? I'm thinking about ordering the server with the 64GB SSD and reinstalling my OCZ Vertex 240GB that has all my Hi Res files in the new CAPS. How difficult would that be for a novice? I have a Seasonic 2 TB external HDD that would more than accommodate all my 16/44 material. Would this be a CA Approved storage medium? Does anyone know how pervasive the electrical noise on a switch mode powered CAPS is? barrows said he's done some measurments... I have my computer powered from the main service panel in my house and the audio components connected through a sub panel. They are also isolated by separate balanced power conditioners (one for source and one for amplification). How much of this noise would get through those barriers?

Thanks Ted. I really appreciate your prompt feedback. If I'm not mistaken, is it fair to say that your CAPS2+ is very much akin to Chris's CAPS3 Lagoon? I too have a Synology server so it sounds like there really wouldn't be any sonic benefit of building one of Chris's pricier CAPS3 models that have more local storage since I already own a NAS. Would you agree? Also, do you find that JRemote populates the cover art, etc. quickly on atom based computer?

Thanks again

Battles,

Hi. My CAPS V2+ is a precursor to the Lagoon design (since Chris helped me on my design), but mine requires a bit more power due to the 2 bars of memory (vs one) and the 830 SSD vs the 840. If you went mSATA then the power is even more. My Wesena case is larger, too, as I don't take advantage of the PCIe riser idea. The Lagoon would be a great choice for you, the NAS user. However, I am not privvy to the Carbon or Zuma designs forthcoming, so not sure if they include more than Chris's mention of the new local storage options; I'm sure they do.

I'm thinking about ordering the server with the 64GB SSD and reinstalling my OCZ Vertex 240GB that has all my Hi Res files in the new CAPS. How difficult would that be for a novice? I have a Seasonic 2 TB external HDD that would more than accommodate all my 16/44 material. Would this be a CA Approved storage medium?

Lot of questions there - but having a second SSD in the server for hi-res files and another external one for 16/44 seems excessive. Each disc drive can generate electrical noise back down the lines, so I'd stick with the internal drive for O/S and JRMC, and put all the music files on the spinning disc.

Incidentally, those with better ears than mine maintain that files stored on a NAS gives inferior SQ to a locally attached disc (with SOtM filter). I'm not interested in a NAS option and prefer a local disc (with regular backup) for several reasons.

I am in the process or putting together the parts for the Lagoon as listed. From someone from way downunder Chris I thank you for your sterling efforts in this most excellent endevour. :-)

Being from Australia accessing the recommended Mushkin RAM is causing abit of a problem. We don't seem to get that brand in Australia.

Chris can you tell me if this RAM I have sourced in Australia is a suitable replacement please.

Corsair CM3X4GSD1066 4GB PC-8500 (1066MHz) 204-pin SO-DIMM DDR3 RAM, CL7, Lifetime warranty

Regards Cazzesman

Windows 8 also has native driver support for USB 3.0 chipsets including the TI chipset on the SOtM tX-USBexp PCIe card

I read at the SOtM website [ SOtM ] , that the "PCIe card " is not compatible with DAC's which are based on Mtech Oem boards.

In your description you advice to use windows 8, will this also solve the issue with the " incompatible" Dac's ? like the Wyred4Sound Dac 2

Unsupported Devices

Empirical Audio Offramp - these are based on the M2Tech Hiface v1 OEM board

W4S DAC2 - these are based on the M2Tech Hiface v1 OEM board

Chrod quteHD - these are based on the M2Tech Hiface v1 OEM board

JKSPDIF, JKDAC, JKDAC32 - these are based on the M2Tech Hiface v1 OEM board

Playback Design