IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

Analyzing audio for your files will fill out information about the files which is used for Volume Leveling and other features. It also gives you useful information about your files such as Dynamic Range (DR) which is equivalent to the TT-DR meter/Dynamic Range Database

Building thumbnails will mean that thumbnails are built in the import process rather than the first time you view the files in your library.

Get cover art will get cover art from the internet if none currently exists for the files.

Ignore files previously removed from library will not import files which you have deleted from the library, but still exist on the disk in a location that is scanned by auto-import.

Update for external changes means that editing file tags in another program will update those tags in the JRiver library.

Fix broken links should update the library to point to the new location of files if you have moved them outside of the program. (you should use their tool for this though)

The write file tags option means that anything changed in the import process will be written to the file instead of only being written to the JRiver database.

Thanks, so it sounds like I should check each one.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

Hello all.

Can someone tell me how to turn off the fade in/out when changing tracks? I've just installed the trial and this function is driving us all nuts. I cannot find it no matter where I look. The next beer might well go through the monitor.

tools -> options -> audio -> track change

tools -> options -> audio -> track change

Fantastic! I owe you one my friend. That was seriously annoying. Nice program though, and a keeper. I just bought the full version. Now I'll subscribe to this thread as I suspect I'm going to need it. I've never seen so many options in a music player. I've no idea if I've even set it up properly as I did it in a hurry. I got my first proper headphone amp delivered today and I needed to install something quick. It sounds sublime through my headphones!

again, many thanks.

My pleasure. Start with my screencasts if you can (gonna need to download them cuz the online version free bandwidth quota is used up for this month...that service wants too much money monthly to make it worthwhile to upgrade service for my measly two videos). Let the info flow over you the first time cuz, yes, the options and flexibility might seem daunting, but it's really just a simple learning curve then a host of wonderful variables.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/j-river-tips-and-techniques-user-experiences-repository-13684/index3.html#post272960

What really drew me to JRiver was the ability to remotely control it. My Mac is connected to the TV and without a remote function I was looking at buying a separate monitor. I have to say the sound I'm hearing right now is the best I've ever heard. Not really down to JRiver obviously but it ain't hurting.

Can someone advise me or direct me to somewhere that identifies the best settings for 2 ch audio?

Thanks

Screen Sharing Picture.png

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

Is there a way to remove duplicate files that would be easier than going into each album to remove them?

Can someone advise me or direct me to somewhere that identifies the best settings for 2 ch audio?

Thanks

Other than Chris's review or my screencasts (which go into detail, but it's not what you want obviously...cuz I've plugged it constantly) make sure to set bitstream for DSD if your XMOS DAC is DSD-capable, then set track changes to gapless (unless you like cross fade outs...). Your settings for all things like stop, seek, and skip are purely personal. I set them for immediate, in most cases, but that's just me.

Is there a way to remove duplicate files that would be easier than going into each album to remove them?

Yes, of course, that is what the duplicates playlist is for (found in the smartlist section).

Other than Chris's review or my screencasts (which go into detail, but it's not what you want obviously...cuz I've plugged it constantly) make sure to set bitstream for DSD if your XMOS DAC is DSD-capable, then set track changes to gapless (unless you like cross fade outs...). Your settings for all things like stop, seek, and skip are purely personal. I set them for immediate, in most cases, but that's just me.

Sorry, I'm new here. Where would I find Chris's review? I read your posts at the beginning; is that what you refer to as screencasts?

Yes, of course, that is what the duplicates playlist is for (found in the smartlist section).

I found the smartlist, but I don't see the "duplicates playlist".

Screen Sharing Picture.png

Sorry, guess it's not on the Mac version. My bad.

Chris's review is here:

Computer Audiophile - JRiver Media Center 17 In Detail

My screencasts are here (although new, you should read the previous posts and the previous pages..my screencasts link is only a few posts above yours, but here ya go again):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/j-river-tips-and-techniques-user-experiences-repository-13684/index3.html#post272960

Brilliant thread. I've already employed a good few of the tips here. I wonder if someone can help me with something though. For the life of me I can't quite get it to work in practise as it does in my head.

I have all my files pretty well organised on one 2TB drive. They are organised in this way...

Artist > flac/mp3 > album

I generally have a flac folder and an mp3 folder of every/most albums. The mp3 folder is for the car.

Anyway, I'd like to create a view which just shows flac files but which still retains the Artist/Album file structure. Can this be done? Not by me anyway. Can someone help me achieve this please? I've followed what I thought was the way to go but it never works right. What am I missing?

Edit - I've actually managed to do it pretty much except it's showing the flac/mp3 parent folder also. So I'm seeing say,

Jethro Tull / flac / Aqualung

Whereas what I want to see is

Jethro Tull / Aqualung

How do I prevent it from showing that parent folder?

Brilliant thread. I've already employed a good few of the tips here. I wonder if someone can help me with something though. For the life of me I can't quite get it to work in practise as it does in my head.

I have all my files pretty well organised on one 2TB drive. They are organised in this way...

Artist > flac/mp3 > album

I generally have a flac folder and an mp3 folder of every/most albums. The mp3 folder is for the car.

Anyway, I'd like to create a view which just shows flac files but which still retains the Artist/Album file structure. Can this be done? Not by me anyway. Can someone help me achieve this please? I've followed what I thought was the way to go but it never works right. What am I missing?

Edit - I've actually managed to do it pretty much except it's showing the flac/mp3 parent folder also. So I'm seeing say,

Jethro Tull / Aqualung

Perhaps create multiple libraries. One for mp3 files and one for flacs.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Jethro Tull / Aqualung

A couple questions/issues:

1) why do you want to see the folders anyway..assuming they are tagged properly? You could just view artist and album categorically (cover art, etc) and make sure the MP3's aren't there by using a rule like "filetype is flac".

2) assuming you like to browse down the folder path, then could you just consolidate the folders (i.e remove the flac vs mps and put all Aqualung in one folder, both formats). The rule will then filter the MP3's out anyway. Would that still allow you to sort for portable use?

Or,as Kumakuma points out, make two JRIver libraries. Pick the flac parents for one library and the MP3 parents for the other. No need to move actual music files or anything. A JRIver library is a virtual thing and stored in a small information/directory file.

Perhaps create multiple libraries. One for mp3 files and one for flacs.

This is what I'm looking for but I don't see anywhere to select "flac" or "mp3". Where is that option?

A couple questions/issues:

1) why do you want to see the folders anyway..assuming they are tagged properly? You could just view artist and album categorically (cover art, etc) and make sure the MP3's aren't there by using a rule like "filetype is flac".

2) assuming you like to browse down the folder path, then could you just consolidate the folders (i.e remove the flac vs mps and put all Aqualung in one folder, both formats). The rule will then filter the MP3's out anyway. Would that still allow you to sort for portable use?

Or,as Kumakuma points out, make two JRIver libraries. Pick the flac parents for one library and the MP3 parents for the other. No need to move actual music files or anything. A JRIver library is a virtual thing and stored in a small information/directory file.

Ideally I would prefer your second suggestion but I have 82,633 tracks and not enough time. I started this collection a long time ago and it didn't really seem to matter too much back then. I still have probably another 300-odd CD's to rip yet too.

Sorry, guess it's not on the Mac version. My bad.

Chris's review is here:

Computer Audiophile - JRiver Media Center 17 In Detail

My screencasts are here (although new, you should read the previous posts and the previous pages..my screencasts link is only a few posts above yours, but here ya go again):

No worries and thanks. So, do I have to delete duplicates by entering each individual album and delete duplicates that way?

No worries and thanks. So, do I have to delete duplicates by entering each individual album and delete duplicates that way?

No. Write a simple duplicates smartlist (right click -> add smartlist). Here is what the sample Windows one looks like:

duplicates smartlist.jpg

The important features would be to have the duplicates be by the same artist (of course) same album name, same song name and same track #. This keeps things like alternate takes (different track #) out of the list if you hadn't tagged it with (alt take) or something. Also, just doing duplicate song names and artists would delete live versions, greatest hit versions, etc. which you likely wouldn't want to do.

If you have large collections like Live Grateful Dead or various US/UK/German/Dutch Beatle collections, then maybe keep those artists out of the sort all together.

I found the smartlist, but I don't see the "duplicates playlist".

Actually, my mistake with the duplicates was made when I set the auto import paths for my libraries. I selected my backup drive as well, hence the duplicates. So I removed my backup drive from my auto import path and did a sort of all my music and simply deleted all the ones from my library that were from my backup drive. Seemed to work, but thanks for your help. I'm sure that will come in handy at some point as well.

Here's a strange thing. I've just noticed that in some (but not all) albums in Jremote I have duplicate entries. Why would that be?

You may have done something similar to me in setting your libraries auto import paths. Do you have more than one source path set for your imports? If so, if you have any of the same music in each of these sources you will have duplicates appear in your library.

You may have done something similar to me in setting your libraries auto import paths. Do you have more than one source path set for your imports? If so, if you have any of the same music in each of these sources you will have duplicates appear in your library.

Thanks for the help but it wasn't that. It seemed to be seeing my cue files and reporting them as actual files. I deleted one cue file and the folder contents changed. Then Jremote got booted from the server, lol. I've no idea what's wrong now.