IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

No, that is how it works. That's why album-artist (auto) exists. Any album (same directory) that has multiple artists (artist field with more than one different value) will automatically be made a compilation that way. Why do you see this as inelegant?

No, that is how it works. That's why album-artist (auto) exists. Any album (same directory) that has multiple artists (artist field with more than one different value) will automatically be made a compilation that way. Why do you see this as inelegant?

Because I was replying to someone else, thats why... Also because iTunes has no problem keeping a multiple artist album together even when each song has the correct artist tag applied.

I just deep sixed JRiver. Everytime I opened it I found a new problem. I don't listen to music to troubleshoot software or Beta Test for JRiver.

No electron left behind.

Because I was replying to someone else, thats why... Also because iTunes has no problem keeping a multiple artist album together even when each song has the correct artist tag applied.

I know who you were replying to (you quoted him for gosh sakes), and I was on his same page, trying to help you. Bad idea it turns out.

JRiver automatically does compilations too. You should not delete the artist field, and we never told you to...we referred to album/artist. Good luck with iTunes. Sorry JRiver didn't work out. It's not for everyone (nor is iTunes).

I have searched high and low and likely have a blind spot. How does one change the font size on a view in both jriver and jremote?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

I know who you were replying to (you quoted him for gosh sakes), and I was on his same page, trying to help you. Bad idea it turns out.

JRiver automatically does compilations too. You should not delete the artist field, and we never told you to...we referred to album/artist. Good luck with iTunes. Sorry JRiver didn't work out. It's not for everyone (nor is iTunes).

JRiver also automatically screws everything up. This was just one of many many issues I had with the program. I do not listen to music as a way to troubleshoot their software for them.

I emptied the Album-Artist tag, it did nothing, so I deleted the individual artist field as well, and then I had 3 versions of the entire album in my library. This program is made for Windows users who like headaches and spending hours and hours messing with their computers, the rest of us who like listening to music are better served elsewhere. I also find I like the sound of Amarra/Audirvana better anyway.

No electron left behind.

JRiver also automatically screws everything up. This was just one of many many issues I had with the program. I do not listen to music as a way to troubleshoot their software for them.

Audiodoctor,

Yep. We got your message earlier! You don't like JRiver, and are not interested in addtl help. Sorry it's worked that way. I started this thread as something dedicated to Jriver tips and techniques, so.....see ya on other threads.

I have searched high and low and likely have a blind spot. How does one change the font size on a view in both jriver and jremote?

There is a size pulldown under "view" menu, or go to options -> trees and View Settings where there is a change font setting. Either of these is for the whole program, not just one view. In addition, there is a slider on all cover art views that changes the size of the thumbnails.

Jremote is a 3rd party IOS app, and it's fonts are based on the display (iphone, iPad, etc).

I just deep sixed JRiver. Everytime I opened it I found a new problem. I don't listen to music to troubleshoot software or Beta Test for JRiver.

Sorry to hear this. My experience with JRiver has been quite the opposite. I started using it on my Mac a few week ago and don't see myself ever going back to iTunes again. Although the interface could be more Mac-like, it is rock steady on my system.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I emptied the Album-Artist tag, it did nothing, so I deleted the individual artist field as well, and then I had 3 versions of the entire album in my library. This program is made for Windows users who like headaches and spending hours and hours messing with their computers, the rest of us who like listening to music are better served elsewhere. I also find I like the sound of Amarra/Audirvana better anyway.

I'm on a mac, and I prefer JRiver. JRiver is difficult to learn, when you first start. But there are rewards if you persevere. There are certainly many areas where iTunes is lacking when compared to JRiver. I have an Amarra licence, but I am preferring JRiver at the moment.

Back on topic.... I like to just put "Various Artists" in the Album Artist field, just like I used to do in iTunes. I don't like the idea of leaving the Album Artist field blank, as there will be compatability problems and headaches if I ever move away from JRiver. By using "Various Artists", it's working just the way iTunes would.

Ted.. We need you to run a JRiver grad course.. Then we can all graduate from the "TedB Academy of JRiver" !! I'd love to be in the first batch of students. Maybe jriver (two posts up) can give out scholarships..?? wink wink.. It's awesome what you are doing Ted. Wap.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Sorry for your problems. I was a slow starter with JRiver. It took me a while to become comfortable and familiar with its use. Any troubles I had were with my lack of understanding and effort to use it. Once I started moving through those issues with help here and at JMRC forum it has become my tool of choice. I have owned JRiver for Mac since the introduction of 18 where I was a 99% iTunes/A+ user but now use JRMC about 90% of the time. If I do my planned Mac Mini upgrade and HDD upgrades early next year I will more than likely complete the transition away from iTunes completely.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Sorry for your problems. I was a slow starter with JRiver. It took me a while to become comfortable and familiar with its use. Any troubles I had were with my lack of understanding and effort to use it. Once I started moving through those issues with help here and at JMRC forum it has become my tool of choice. I have owned JRiver for Mac since the introduction of 18 where I was a 99% iTunes/A+ user but now use JRMC about 90% of the time. If I do my planned Mac Mini upgrade and HDD upgrades early next year I will more than likely complete the transition away from iTunes completely.

I love the functionality of JRMC on my Windows 8.1 Ultrabook, both as a DLNA server for my streamers, and for multi-channel playback via HDMI to my home theater; I have been doing more and more of this, lately - I love JRSS with 2-channel audio).

But, for headphone/critical listening, I really like my MacBook Retina, iTunes and A+. I have been avoiding trying JRMC for the Mac because, frankly, I hate the JRMC UI/UX on Windows and have low expectations for the Mac experience.

What is driving you away from iTunes/A+ on your Mac?

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

I love the functionality of JRMC on my Windows 8.1 Ultrabook, both as a DLNA server for my streamers, and for multi-channel playback via HDMI to my home theater; I have been doing more and more of this, lately - I love JRSS with 2-channel audio).

But, for headphone/critical listening, I really like my MacBook Retina, iTunes and A+. I have been avoiding trying JRMC for the Mac because, frankly, I hate the JRMC UI/UX on Windows and have low expectations for the Mac experience.

What is driving you away from iTunes/A+ on your Mac?

Currently I am a dedicated headphone system. I cannot say from a sound quality standpoint that I have a definitive preference of one over the other. I prefer what I perceive to be the greater functionality and flexibility of JMRC and my perception that iTunes is really transitioning towards a more cloud based/streaming service

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I am trying to add a view for my DSD files. So, I wanted to have a rule that the file type is .dsf. However, that file type is not in the drop down list. I looked to see where one adds file types to the list but I can't find it.

Ted, I saw .dsf in your drop down list in the video so clearly this can be added.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

David, there is a file type menu under options (where you can set file associations as well..mine are set to automatic) and there is a pulldown selection in the import process; click on audio to explode audio into separate file types and make sure DSD (DFF, DSF, SAACD) is checked.

Are you doing something with customize view?

Customize View-> Set Rules for file display->Rule->File Type (from drop down) is DSF (Selected from the drop down after "is"

Sample.jpg

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Ted, DSF was checked but it wasn't showing up in the drop down. However, when I set the rule to bitrate equal to 5564 it singled out the DSF files. Then, when I added a second rule for filetype, .dsf did show up in the list. It seems like it is a little bug but not insurmountable.

Alright, I will give JRiver a shot... After much grumbling and a good portion of last night retagging We All Love Ella by hand, I got its problem fixed. Let me show you another even more vexing problem file...

ella.png

Thats We All Love Ella, all sorted.

Here is the album Some Girls by The Rolling Stones in iTunes and the exact same files loaded into JRiver...

itunes.png

some  girls.png

Notice the difference...

The files for both in Finder:

findersmall.png

No electron left behind.

Doc, First off, welcome back. Second, looks like JRIver is finding both your "Rolling Stones/Some Girls" folder as well as one named "The Rolling Stones/Some Girls" and showing redundant tracks since you have duplicates obviously. It also is not seeing disc number (although you don't have that field showing). My $.02 at this level (after looking at a static screen) says some tags were added to iTunes (which often stores some of its tag info outside of the file) that JRiver doesn't see, but that doesn't explain the duplicate folder for disc one.

I'd pull up disc number (and I wouldn't clutter up this particular screen with fields like rating, year and genre, frankly) and sort by disc number, then by track (and I'd delete the dupe folder). If disc number is not present....well since your file naming convention looks consistent just have JRiver format this based on filename (use the rule something like [artist]/[album] -[disc] -[track] ) . That is a right click on all songs and then "fill properties from filename". You can give it a rule based on your filename. That rule I mention is likely only good for multi-disc albums (unless all your tracks are 1-1, 1-2, etc on single disc albums (I doubt it). But JRiver will store multiple rules and you just pick that one when you need it.

Moreover, when poorly tagged stuff like DSD rips come across, one can tag them AND THEN go the other way, have the rule create a filename that includes the tags, so your hard drive filenames have some consistency.

At the field headers (any one of them) right click and you'll get an alphabetical list). Check on and off the ones you want. Try disc number, and then once all done, click on headers to sort.