IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

Ted,

Here is a screenshot of Playing now and the Audio Options menu. I could not keep the bitstream dropdown open while using the snapshot tool, but there are only 5 choices and you can see that DSD is selected.

Not sure why six channels is an issue. I have the L& R Main, L & R surround, Center and the special effects/sub analog outputs connected to the matching 7.1 analog inputs of my AV Receiver, recognizing the sub channel is not generally used by most labels. I guess I could try disconnecting it but that will have to wait.

Thanks.

Playing Now_10 April.JPG

Audio Options Menu_10 April.JPG

Sorry, didn;t mean to imply that 6 channels was an issue...when I first saw it I thought maybe you are tryin to play mch in a stereo setup. Realized quickly that we are talking e28 and mch (like I do). I guess I need to put my mch system back togther and see what it reports. But there is likely no way your signal is going DSD-to-24/352.8k-to-DSD without asking.

No problem. It is an interesting problem. I noticed this back in December when I set up the system. I did not think too much of it because it sounds great and the DAC reports DSD. I will go through all the settings again in the next couple days and will check back.

Some very helpful info here. Thanks everyone!

Maybe this has already been covered, but here goes: I'm running MC19 on a Windows 7 computer and ripping CDs in AIFF format to a 2TB WD NAS. Everything is fine on this install of MC: file properties assign properly (artist, album, etc.) and album art.

Where the problem lies is on my second PC, a laptop running Vista and MC18 (was running MC19 but kept encountering "not responding" issues). I've tried everything I can think of but can't get file properties to display correctly. If I do a search the recently ripped albums will show up as unassigned and display the complete path but no artist, album, track name or number info.

I'd appreciate any assistance the brain trust on this forum can provide to help me resolve the issue.

\"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work.\" -Mark Twain[br]Home Audio: ARC VT200, ARC LS5 MKIII, Wadia 16, ARC PH3, VPI Aries JMW-10, Benz Glider, Van den Hul MC One, Magnepan 3.5R, Vandersteen 2Wq (2), engineered dedicated listening room[br]Office: Cary CAD-300sei, Theta Pro Prime II, JVC XL-Z1050TN, Grado RS-1, Sennheiser HD650[br]Portable 1: Rockboxed Gen. 1 Ipod Mini 32GB, Meier Audio Corda 2Move, ALO Au/Ag LOD, Shure SE530[br]Portable 2: Ipod Nano 3G (8GB), RSA Tomahawk, ALO CryoDock, Shure SE530

If you are using JRMC to RIP the files, be sure you have the option checked to write the tags (and cover image) to the files. Elsewise, the metadata is only in the JRMC database, and won't show up on other machines unless you copy the database.

That's a lot of trouble for lazy people like me, so embedding the tags solves almost all those issues. :)

-Paul

Some very helpful info here. Thanks everyone!

Maybe this has already been covered, but here goes: I'm running MC19 on a Windows 7 computer and ripping CDs in AIFF format to a 2TB WD NAS. Everything is fine on this install of MC: file properties assign properly (artist, album, etc.) and album art.

Where the problem lies is on my second PC, a laptop running Vista and MC18 (was running MC19 but kept encountering "not responding" issues). I've tried everything I can think of but can't get file properties to display correctly. If I do a search the recently ripped albums will show up as unassigned and display the complete path but no artist, album, track name or number info.

I'd appreciate any assistance the brain trust on this forum can provide to help me resolve the issue.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

If you are using JRMC to RIP the files, be sure you have the option checked to write the tags (and cover image) to the files. Elsewise, the metadata is only in the JRMC database, and won't show up on other machines unless you copy the database.

That's a lot of trouble for lazy people like me, so embedding the tags solves almost all those issues. :)

-Paul

Thanks, Paul, for the guidance. I will make sure to check this option. Didn't have the issue when using MC18 on my main computer. Must've occurred when I upgraded to 19. Now I just have to clean up the tags on the 20 or so CDs I ripped previously. Can you think of an efficient way to do this?

- Joe.

\"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work.\" -Mark Twain[br]Home Audio: ARC VT200, ARC LS5 MKIII, Wadia 16, ARC PH3, VPI Aries JMW-10, Benz Glider, Van den Hul MC One, Magnepan 3.5R, Vandersteen 2Wq (2), engineered dedicated listening room[br]Office: Cary CAD-300sei, Theta Pro Prime II, JVC XL-Z1050TN, Grado RS-1, Sennheiser HD650[br]Portable 1: Rockboxed Gen. 1 Ipod Mini 32GB, Meier Audio Corda 2Move, ALO Au/Ag LOD, Shure SE530[br]Portable 2: Ipod Nano 3G (8GB), RSA Tomahawk, ALO CryoDock, Shure SE530

Thanks, Paul, for the guidance. I will make sure to check this option. Didn't have the issue when using MC18 on my main computer. Must've occurred when I upgraded to 19. Now I just have to clean up the tags on the 20 or so CDs I ripped previously. Can you think of an efficient way to do this?

- Joe.

On option is to watch my tutorials. As stated previously, I have a number of mass tagging tips and techniques on my screencast videos I did. The links for downloading them are here earlier on my thread (post 66).

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/j-river-tips-and-techniques-user-experiences-repository-13684/index3.html#post272960

Hi Joe - I would use XLD (or dbPowerAmp) and write the files back into place, then refresh the JRMC database, but you can also do all the tagging stuff with JRMC itself.

Yours,

-Paul

- Joe.

Robert A. Heinlein

Is it possible to shuffle between all songs as opposed to only shuffling per album? I don't see the ability to just show songs like iTunes can. Thanks

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

Is it possible to shuffle between all songs as opposed to only shuffling per album? I don't see the ability to just show songs like iTunes can. Thanks

Yes under the audio category select files then click on whatever file you wont hit play and your good to go.

Yes under the audio category select files then click on whatever file you wont hit play and your good to go.

I can't do that under my audio category. All I can do is random play within the individual albums.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

I can't do that under my audio category. All I can do is random play within the individual albums.

I'm not sure I am missing something in what you wish to accomplish and I am using the Mac version but if I make the selection in the left column under Audio of Albums and then go to the upper right corner below the information window and next to the elapsed time indicator the second of three circles has three different size lines on it. Selecting that I turn Shuffle On. From that all songs from all albums will play in shuffle mode.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I think "Play Doctor" might offer you this capability. I am not where I can check it right now, but you might look into it.

Play Doctor - JRiverWiki

Robert A. Heinlein

I'm not sure I am missing something in what you wish to accomplish and I am using the Mac version but if I make the selection in the left column under Audio of Albums and then go to the upper right corner below the information window and next to the elapsed time indicator the second of three circles has three different size lines on it. Selecting that I turn Shuffle On. From that all songs from all albums will play in shuffle mode.

Thanks. I was trying to do it using JRemote and still have not determined how to, but I did figure out how to do it through JRiver itself, although a bit different than your way. If I am understanding what you are saying, Audio>Albums, then select shuffle, it will only shuffle within each album, so I tried Audio>Files and then shuffle on and it does shuffle between all songs. Do you know how to make this come through to JRemote?

Thanks. I was trying to do it using JRemote and still have not determined how to, but I did figure out how to do it through JRiver itself, although a bit different than your way. If I am understanding what you are saying, Audio>Albums, then select shuffle, it will only shuffle within each album, so I tried Audio>Files and then shuffle on and it does shuffle between all songs. Do you know how to make this come through to JRemote?

What I do on JRemote is from the left side of the screen select Audio then Album. In the upper right corner of the screen hit the Play arrow/indicator (>). Now at the bottom of the screen you should see the Shuffle symbol. Select that, it should be blue then hit Play that should shuffle all songs from all albums.

Maybe be someone else knows a shorter way but that works for me.

Frank Zappa

I'm glad you figured it out happy listening. You should automatically have control through the JRemote.

What I do on JRemote is from the left side of the screen select Audio then Album. In the upper right corner of the screen hit the Play arrow/indicator (>). Now at the bottom of the screen you should see the Shuffle symbol. Select that, it should be blue then hit Play that should shuffle all songs from all albums.

Maybe be someone else knows a shorter way but that works for me.

I'm able to set up shuffle mode by going to files or albums but I cannot set it up using the JRemote I have to set it up through JRiver. Is there something that I'm missing?

Mark (HIFI) was asking if I would post my "files by sample rate" screen shot. There is no rule invoked, just a set of panels defined.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11964[/ATTACH]

Thanks for showing this Ted.

I think I have duplicated what your screen shot shows. I can't get it to show this audio view on my Ipad using JRemote. I was able to create a view for my DSD files using rules along with another view. Both show on JRemote after I closed out rand Jremote. I can't get the View/Pane/File Sample I created to show on my remote.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for jumping in!!

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

I'm able to set up shuffle mode by going to files or albums but I cannot set it up using the JRemote I have to set it up through JRiver. Is there something that I'm missing?

Im sorry but I don't understand. What you quoted was how I do it in JRemote. If there is another way or better way I don't know.

Frank Zappa
I think you need to have the "All" item displayed in your views if you want to do this.

In the Media Network settings of JRiver, open up the advanced section and customize views for Gizmo.

Select your view, and there should be an option to display 'All' as a choice.

Close JRiver and the Media Server tray application, if it is running, and restart it.

Now in JRemote you can hold down on the "All" item and select "Shuffle and play".

I think I have duplicated what your screen shot shows. I can't get it to show this audio view on my Ipad using JRemote. I was able to create a view for my DSD files using rules along with another view. Both show on JRemote after I closed out rand Jremote. I can't get the View/Pane/File Sample I created to show on my remote.
JRemote (Gizmo) views are completely independent of normal library views, as are theater views. As above, they are customized in the Media Network options.

You can import regular library views into Gizmo.

JRemote (Gizmo) views are completely independent of normal library views, as are theater views. As above, they are customized in the Media Network options.

You can import regular library views into Gizmo.

In viewing one of Ted's videos he shows how to make a custom view and throw it to JRemote. I have added two custom views to Media Center and on to Jremote. It can be done. I just wonder if it is a "Pane" view as described above that can't show on JRemote.

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

Thanks for showing this Ted.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for jumping in!!

When you export the files by sample rate make sure you have the option "display ALL as a choice" picked. Then, in Jremote, pick all locations and each sample rate (and the stacked albums in each category) will show...as below. It's not panes, no.

jremote filesbysample.jpg