IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

Thanks, i'll take a look at that. I'm getting to the point where something is better than nothing at all.

The only problem with a program external from jriver is that im assuming it writes and metadata right to the file instead of to a database like jriver?

How about just creating a classical view (panes style) with periods, artists and albums as panes, and with a rule that basically is "genre is classical" or pick multiple classical-like genres like chamber, etc. Like here (and you could then import it to JRemote):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10722[/ATTACH]

Sorry but I have like no Period tags. :)

Hey Ted

All your knowledge, recommendations and tips are appreciated. I have not been very comfortable in creating views. I am on the Mac version and I know there are some differences in the versions.

When I created a Panes View as above under Audio and Artist/Albums all I see are drop downs that follow Panes>Artist>Album>Name>Comment>Genre>Year but not the Panes displayed as I see them in the screen shot you posted.

Any idea on what I've done wrong or any recommendation?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

New to J River. I'm trying to setup J River Library Sharing similar to iTunes Home Sharing. My main music library is on a Mac Mini. My laptop does connect and load the shared library, but it takes forever for a track to start playing. Lots of buffering or processing going on. I've turned of transcoding and memory play. I've had no issues streaming in a similar way to my iPad. Plays instantly. Are there any settings I need to change?

Thanks.

I'm an iTunes user but have looked at others occasionally, including JRiver. The reason I have rejected all the others and gone back to iTunes is the boredom of 'lists'. All of them just seem to give great list stretching down the screen which is a most unintuitive way of selecting music if you are used to LP covers and CD boxes.

iTunes11 seems to have gone in the same direction so I've dumped that and gone back to version 10 which allows easy layout of album covers. I have playlists of artists or genre and within that its all album covers. Is there a way to do that in JRiver? If so, will it take hours of scripts and messing about?? iTunes10 makes it all easy and I'm all for easy.

Joni grab.jpg

Playlists for Internet Radio.

I have most of my Internet Radio stations in a playlist I labeled "Internet Radio Stations." It works fine from the main machine playing to local zones, but has two little problems I am hoping some of you guru types (Hi Ted!) can help me with.

First, the playback won't stream from the main machine to remote zones. Everything else does, but not this. Is there a special setting or something I need to tweak?

Second, because of the first issue, I tried copying the playlists to a remote machine. No joy! I sure don't want to have find and reinsert a couple hundred radio station URLs again, and especially not if I want Internet radio on three or four remote systems used for streaming. :(

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Hey Ted

All your knowledge, recommendations and tips are appreciated. I have not been very comfortable in creating views. I am on the Mac version and I know there are some differences in the versions.

When I created a Panes View as above under Audio and Artist/Albums all I see are drop downs that follow Panes>Artist>Album>Name>Comment>Genre>Year but not the Panes displayed as I see them in the screen shot you posted.

Any idea on what I've done wrong or any recommendation?

Show us the custom view you created. Mine had three fields only (period, album/artist(auto), and album). Mine was created from a blank view. If you use and customize a predefined view you might need toe dit out other fields in the categories list.

Playlists for Internet Radio.

I have most of my Internet Radio stations in a playlist I labeled "Internet Radio Stations." It works fine from the main machine playing to local zones, but has two little problems I am hoping some of you guru types (Hi Ted!) can help me with.

First, the playback won't stream from the main machine to remote zones. Everything else does, but not this. Is there a special setting or something I need to tweak?

Second, because of the first issue, I tried copying the playlists to a remote machine. No joy! I sure don't want to have find and reinsert a couple hundred radio station URLs again, and especially not if I want Internet radio on three or four remote systems used for streaming. :(

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

-Paul

Paul, I am not an internet radio guy, nor do I do much with playlists or zones, sorry.....but if you want to duplicate what you've done on one JRiver install to another, just backup the library and then use that library in the new install. File -> Library -> backup library. It creates a small library file that houses views, playlists, etc.

Also, go here and use the export playlist as MPL. That should work too. Simply import the mpl from the remote install.

Export Playlists - JRiverWiki

I'm an iTunes user but have looked at others occasionally, including JRiver. The reason I have rejected all the others and gone back to iTunes is the boredom of 'lists'. All of them just seem to give great list stretching down the screen which is a most unintuitive way of selecting music if you are used to LP covers and CD boxes.

iTunes11 seems to have gone in the same direction so I've dumped that and gone back to version 10 which allows easy layout of album covers. I have playlists of artists or genre and within that its all album covers. Is there a way to do that in JRiver? If so, will it take hours of scripts and messing about?? iTunes10 makes it all easy and I'm all for easy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11463[/ATTACH]

Any and all views, whether stock, custom or newly created, can be viewed in categories view (with cover art) or panes view (with itune like columns)....or the lesser used ones (files list, 3D view or chart). Simply right click the view (say, genre, for example) and say customize, then change view type in upper left corner pulldown. This is all in my screencasts. My DSD, DSD128, hirez PCM, ISO and WAV views are all cover-art based.

Any and all views, whether stock, custom or newly created, can be viewed in categories view (with cover art) or panes view (with itune like columns)....or the lesser used ones (files list, 3D view or chart). Simply right click the view (say, genre, for example) and say customize, then change view type in upper left corner pulldown. This is all in my screencasts. My DSD, DSD128, hirez PCM, ISO and WAV views are all cover-art based.

Thanks for that. very strange that, on opening JRiver, all the views are now based on artwork. This is not how I left it as I didn't know it could do it obviously.

The prog must be psychic!! I'll keep plying with it but it still feels like a PC program rather than a Mac one. Now I have BitPerfect, I'm not sure it sounds any better either. Nevertheless, its handy to have an alternative that does what I want, even if it seems a bit complex to get there. When the trial runs out I'm not sure I will keep it but we will see.

Ah- that is what is not working. I was thinking that Playlists must have something special going on with them. Guess it is some kind of bug.

-Paul

Paul, I am not an internet radio guy, nor do I do much with playlists or zones, sorry.....but if you want to duplicate what you've done on one JRiver install to another, just backup the library and then use that library in the new install. File -> Library -> backup library. It creates a small library file that houses views, playlists, etc.

Also, go here and use the export playlist as MPL. That should work too. Simply import the mpl from the remote install.

Export Playlists - JRiverWiki

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

You can set up JRiver almost any way that you want, and it's not very difficult.

To create a view that is like the one in the image you posted, right-click the audio heading on the left side of the applications, add a library view, and start with a new empty view. (last item)

Select View As: Panes

Show Categories in this Order - Album Artist (auto)

View Details - Panes: Left

Now click ok to see the view you have created.

Click the tab at the top which has a downward facing arrow, and select list style: album thumbnails.

Now you have an A-Z list of all the artists in your library down the left side of your screen, and all the album art on the right.

You can adjust the size of the images with the slider in the upper right.

If that is not what you are looking for, try creating another empty view, but this time change the view type to categories instead of panes.

Now add the categories you want to the list. You might want to try: Album artist (auto), Year-Album.

Click ok to see the view you have created.

Now you will have a big view of all the artists in your library displaying album art.

Double-click on an artist and it will show you the art for all of their albums.

Double-click on an album and it will show you the tracks.

I think there is also a tool to get artist images from Last FM if you want images of the artist instead of their albums in the top-level view. I don't know how well that works as I didn't want that.

My apologies if this has already been covered. I did a cursory look and did not find anything on this topic. I'm a newbie to JRiver and JRemote. I just added a hi Rez category to my audio library in my Mac mini, but I've noticed this does not automatically get "pushed" through to my iPads JRemote app. Is there a setting somewhere to make this occur or is this beyond JRiver/JRemote capability?

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

My apologies if this has already been covered. I did a cursory look and did not find anything on this topic. I'm a newbie to JRiver and JRemote. I just added a hi Rez category to my audio library in my Mac mini, but I've noticed this does not automatically get "pushed" through to my iPads JRemote app. Is there a setting somewhere to make this occur or is this beyond JRiver/JRemote capability?

I did get help on JRivers site on this. If it helps anyone else, it is done by: Tools/Options/Media Network/Advanced/Configure Views and add the new library. You may have to quit MC and JR before it'll appear in JR.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

Glad they could help. I documented this earlier in the thread and have it as part of my videocast. Feel free to download

Yeah, saw it as soon as I posted it here, but then didn't know how to delete my post. Thanks

I'm trying to categorize genres within my hi rez audio file folder. As an example, within Audio, I've created >Hi Rez>Rock and Pop. So in my Rock and Pop, under "customize views" I've added a rule that "genre" "is all" and in the third pull down screen, I've ticked off all the genres that I want applied. Problem is, none of my files appear. I've checked to ensure they have the metadata that includes genre, so I'm not sure why they are not appearing. Any clues?

PS: In the center pull down, I've tried "is all", "is any" and "contains".

Was gonna ask "is any" but see you added that. Can you do a screengrab? What rules are there so far (that make it rock and pop to begin with)?

The third pull down screen in the rules screen allows you to select any genre you want included. I did the exact same thing for my root audio directory and it filters them perfectly. I also tried jazz and it also works, so there must be something I'm not noticing within my Hi Rez files that I'm doing that is preventing the selected genres from appearing.

Screen Sharing Picture.png

The third pull down screen in the rules screen allows you to select any genre you want included. I did the exact same thing for my root audio directory and it filters them perfectly. I also tried jazz and it also works, so there must be something I'm not noticing within my Hi Rez files that I'm doing that is preventing the selected genres from appearing.

I'm definitely doing something wrong as I just tried creating a Jazz file in my Hi Rez folder and it worked. I will revisit the Rock and Pop directory.

update: Yup, I deleted it and rebuilt it and it worked.

Anyone know if it is possible to play an HDMI source (input) through jRiver?

This may give you the information you are looking for:

Audio Connection Type - JRiverWiki

What tasks should I perform when importing music?

ie What does each of the selections of analyze audio for audio files, fix broken links, write file tags......mean? Should I be selecting them?

Thanks

Screen Sharing Picture.png

What tasks should I perform when importing music?

ie What does each of the selections of analyze audio for audio files, fix broken links, write file tags......mean? Should I be selecting them?

Thanks

Analyzing audio for your files will fill out information about the files which is used for Volume Leveling and other features. It also gives you useful information about your files such as Dynamic Range (DR) which is equivalent to the TT-DR meter/Dynamic Range Database

Building thumbnails will mean that thumbnails are built in the import process rather than the first time you view the files in your library.

Get cover art will get cover art from the internet if none currently exists for the files.

Ignore files previously removed from library will not import files which you have deleted from the library, but still exist on the disk in a location that is scanned by auto-import.

Update for external changes means that editing file tags in another program will update those tags in the JRiver library.

Fix broken links should update the library to point to the new location of files if you have moved them outside of the program. (you should use their tool for this though)

The write file tags option means that anything changed in the import process will be written to the file instead of only being written to the JRiver database.