IGNORED

What type of speakers (tower, monitor, powered) do you use in your primary system?

What Type Of Speakers Do You Use In Your Main Home System  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have never heard Focals Professional speakers, but my old pair of 1027Be's live at the cabin now and they are fabulous speakers.

You don't have that 2nd system listed in your profile, sadly.

I've owned a few Focal (back in the day, JM Lab) and like them as well. The Solo6 BE might make a great desktop speaker.

• 3 weeks later...

Bookshelf speakers: Pioneer SP-BS21LR :) For what I listen to, and how much I can hear, these are more than enough. $100

Snap, crackle, and pop is for breakfast cereal, not for music. Go digital!

The thrifty audio critter who does not buy into audiophile nonsense.

stereosetup.jpg

I guess you could call them towers.

stereosetup.jpg

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

Wow, I sold my AR9's in 1984 to purchase a pair of Acoustat 1+1s. Those old ARs were my first pair of decent speakers after I sold a pair of JBL L65s.

Mac mini late 2009 to TC Impact Twin by firewire, two 2 TB external USB drives plus networked from D-Link 323 NAS for music storage. Ethernet and WiFi connected to Sonos, Squeezebox Duet, Apple TV2 depending on listening room. Main 2 channel system: Jeff Rowland Consonance preamp, Krell D/A, Belles 350a amp to Von Schweikert VR4 Senior Mk2 speakers.

My poll was based of course on a curiosity of what others might be using because I was considering a change. Of the 44 replies so far just under 10% use powered speakers. My consideration, and decision, is to move to a powered speaker system. That's why I have my Dynaudio Focus 220 MKII for sale in the classifieds. I am getting a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110A speakers mounted on Solid Tech speaker stands that will match my A/V rack. Every now and then I get the urge to simplify and downsize (physically) my system. I considered the Dynaudio Xeo wireless powered speaker system which eliminates both the power amp and the DAC but the fact that it is limited to 16/48 was a deal killer. I wanted to contine to use my DAC as a 'preamp' but also wanted to have additional inputs for flexibility and add the ability to support 24/192 on all inputs. I just put the new (newer) T+A DAC 8 in system. I try to be cautious in making quick judgements about how something sounds but over these few days I am pleased. Now I just need to add the powered speakers and we will see what we have.

I use active ATC 50 monitors in my system. I love the simplicity and, of course, the sound of such a set up. I understand different strokes for different folks, as they say, but I am perplexed as to why active speakers are not more popular.

IMG_1186.jpg

I use active ATC 50 monitors in my system. I love the simplicity and, of course, the sound of such a set up. I understand different strokes for different folks, as they say, but I am perplexed as to why active speakers are not more popular.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1558[/ATTACH]

It is the direction I just took. I guess you and I are two of the three that voted powered monitors stand mounted.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
It is the direction I just took. I guess you and I are two of the three that voted powered monitors stand mounted.

I went a similar route, only my ATC 50s are towers but the rears ATC 20-2A are standmount....

Stereo Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Surround Source: Windows PC

Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s, Anthem D2v

Speakers: ATC SCM50A (L/R/C), C4 (Sub), SCM20-2A (LR,RR)

I went a similar route, only my ATC 50s are towers but the rears ATC 20-2A are standmount....

Went from B&W 800 to ATC 100 ASL 2 years ago. Using Genelec 8020 for desktop.

cheers

Tom

BM DAC1/HDR --> ATC SCM 100ASL[br]BM DAC1--> Genelec 8020/Beyer T70[br]Apogee Duet2 --> Stax 007T/404[br]Apogee Duet2 --> Genelec 6010A/Beyer DT1350[br]

How long have you owned your Adam monitors? What did you own before? I love my ATCs, but I would have loved to have compared them side-by-side with Adam's before making the purchase.
I bought the S3X-V in 2010: as you can read in post #13 I had previously Dynaudio.

I use what the poll calls powered stand-mounted monitors - Miller & Kreisel S150P.

But the "stands" are M&K MX-350 subwoofers, separated by Final Labs Daruma 3ii isolation bearings

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These are my 'Twins'.

I completed their construction about 4 years ago.

The drivers were spec'ed & the crossover designed by Jon Marsh.

While he builds speakers only as a hobby, he is the individual responsible for the first products from Avalon & consults for Ayre.

At 55 litres internal volume the construction is 3/4 inch Baltic birch ply with 1-1/2 inch solid poplar front baffles & extensive internal bracing, the scale tips to 80+ lbs each. With a 3 inch flarred bottom port they average out at a 4 ohm load with twin 6-1/2 inch woofers crossed over to the 1 inch tweeter at ~ 1200 Hz. These are rather amazing tweeters & Jon spared little expense in the crossover to take advantage of their mid-range capabilities.

NataliePSchm.jpg

This shot was taken prior to applying the bronze finsih on the stands.

Image141.jpg

The completed product.

DSCF3097.jpg

The Right channel.

DSCF1275-1.jpg

The cost of the crossover components alone was twice that of the drivers.

attachment.php4?attachmentid=8935

Relaxing with the 'Twins'.

DSCF1823.jpg

I can not ressit showing off my new RCM (Record Cleaning Machine).

It is a new 'green' sustainable model.

IMG_0059.jpg

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

i'm sure glad you didn't end up with the golden retriever puppy model record cleaning machine like i own. your records just dont seem to play so well after one ten minute not watching session. i think i'm going to return and see if i can get a refund.lol

main system; mac mini/mac os mountain lion/bel canto usb/cambridge audio dac magic/creek destiny intregrated/reference 3a mm de cappo i/svs pb-12-nsd/dh labs cables and wires/denon ah-d2000