Jump to content
  • The Computer Audiophile
    The Computer Audiophile

    Easily My Album Of The Year

    I know, it's only September, and I'm announcing my album of the year. That, plus the fact I don't always give out awards, make this "album of the year" even better. This album came out September 3, 2021 and I've listened to it nearly nonstop ever since. Heck, it's Sunday and I couldn't even wait for the week to start before posting this article. 

     

    Lady Blackbird's debut album called Black Acid Soul is easily my album of the year. I love the music, her voice, the emotion put into the music, and absolutely everything else about the album. Just press play on this one and you'll thank me later. Seriously, there isn't a track that I skip. 

     

    The album is available from all the streaming services AND available for purchase via Bandcamp. Here's a link to the Bandcamp page LINK.

     

    Here are the album credits, followed by the YouTube playlist of the album. 

     

    Produced by Chris Seefried 
    A&R by Ross Allen 

    Deron Johnson playing Steinway Baby Grand, Mellotron, Casio Synth 
    Jon Flaugher playing Double Bass 
    Jimmy Paxson playing Drums, Percussion 
    Chris Seefried playing Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar 
    Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews playing Trumpet 

    Recorded and Mixed By Seth Atkins Horan 
    Mastered By Bernie Grundman, At Bernie Grundman Mastering LA CA 
    Recorded at Sunset Sound LA CA 
    Mixing at Gnu Gnome LA CA

     

     

     

     

     

     

     



    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

     

    But, that's because it's only my opinion. I know someone who would vehemently disagree with me and think Nickelback is far superior. That was my point.

    I understand that's your point, but I disagree.  Mainly because I don't think you're the only one with your opinion, and also that some opinions are worth more than others.

     

    Can we agree that The Beatles and Dylan wrote better songs than just about anybody else?  That Miles and Louis were among the very best horn players?  That Springsteen is transcendent live?  Just about anyone who understands and appreciates modern music would acknowledge these, regardless of their personal taste.  Now we just need a few minutes to rank the next 500 or so...

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, PeterG said:

    Can we agree that The Beatles and Dylan wrote better songs than just about anybody else?  That Miles and Louis were among the very best horn players?  That Springsteen is transcendent live?  Just about anyone who understands and appreciates modern music would acknowledge these, regardless of their personal taste. 

    I’m being 100% serious when I say that I disagree. Not being argumentative or anything, just that it’s all subjective. Ask the new leaders of Afghanistan what they think about the aforementioned artists. 
     

    The Beatles and Dylan wrote songs that many people like. That’s it. They can’t be better because not everyone was playing the same part / role. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

    I’m being 100% serious when I say that I disagree. Not being argumentative or anything, just that it’s all subjective. Ask the new leaders of Afghanistan what they think about the aforementioned artists. 
     

    The Beatles and Dylan wrote songs that many people like. That’s it. They can’t be better because not everyone was playing the same part / role. 

     

    You're killin' me...

     

    Taking the easy one first--I did include a caveat on understanding and appreciating modern music.  So the Taliban (and Nickelback fans, haha) don't count.

     

    One way to think about The Beatles, Dylan, Miles, Picasso, Hemingway...is that they created things that touched millions of people in a profound way over many decades; and can also be understood in intellectual, analytical, and historical ways that are deep.  This is very different than selling a lot of records or concert tickets

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    13 minutes ago, PeterG said:

    I understand that's your point, but I disagree.  Mainly because I don't think you're the only one with your opinion, and also that some opinions are worth more than others.

     

     

    Everyone will have different opinions on the worthiness of an opinion as well... where do you draw the line? regarding art/music it is purely subjective.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, PeterG said:

     

    You're killin' me...

     

    Taking the easy one first--I did include a caveat on understanding and appreciating modern music.  So the Taliban (and Nickelback fans, haha) don't count.

     

    One way to think about The Beatles, Dylan, Miles, Picasso, Hemingway...is that they created things that touched millions of people in a profound way over many decades; and can also be understood in intellectual, analytical, and historical ways that are deep.  This is very different than selling a lot of records or concert tickets

    Oh no, not trying to kill ya :~)

     

    I love the intellectual conversation. 
     

    For every artist like the ones you mention, there are probably several who could’ve touched people equally or even more. Those ones just happened to gain popularity. If the Beatles were 500 lbs. obese men from Minnesota, do you think they would’ve touched as many people?

     

    I agree those artists impacted many people, but that’s what they did. Their art wasn’t better or worse than other art. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

     

    Jeff Buckleys cover of Leonard Cohens Hallelujah is a great example of that.

     

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

     

    Here's another example of how to transform the familiar into something completely new and original.

     

    Anyone who can't see the artistry in this is dead to me... 👺

     

     

     

    She also ruined, uhm, I meant covered, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and I don't like it at all despite thinking it had great potential.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

    I know which version I like, but I have friends who’d go for this one every time. 
     

     

     

    Definitely my favorite cover of all time.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

    Oh no, not trying to kill ya :~)

     

    I love the intellectual conversation. 
     

    For every artist like the ones you mention, there are probably several who could’ve touched people equally or even more. Those ones just happened to gain popularity. If the Beatles were 500 lbs. obese men from Minnesota, do you think they would’ve touched as many people?

     

    I agree those artists impacted many people, but that’s what they did. Their art wasn’t better or worse than other art. 

     

    I enjoy it too.

     

    Mavis Staples is an obese woman from Chicago--she so good she makes me cry.

     

    The role of art is to touch people and bring them deeper understanding and/or joy.  It is the ability to impact a thoughtful person that makes it great art.  Don't people vary in their ability to do this?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

     

    She also ruined, uhm, I meant covered, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and I don't like it at all despite thinking it had great potential.

     

    Just heard for the first time. Certainly a different take on the song.

     

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, PeterG said:

     

    I enjoy it too.

     

    Mavis Staples is an obese woman from Chicago--she so good she makes me cry.

     

    The role of art is to touch people and bring them deeper understanding and/or joy.  It is the ability to impact a thoughtful person that makes it great art.  Don't people vary in their ability to do this?


    Mavis is a dang legend that I can’t live without. Love her. 
     

    There is no single role for art. I know the huge role it plays in my life and the roles it has played the world over throughout the ages, but it can’t be distilled down to a single or several roles. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    33 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

     

    The video of Bill Shatner singing is certainly proof of this...

     

    Don't judge me...  ;-)

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

     

    Everyone will have different opinions on the worthiness of an opinion as well... where do you draw the line? regarding art/music it is purely subjective.

     If music/art is purely subjective, then what’s the big deal for a given artist to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?  Are they inducted purely on the subjectivity of the 38 individuals who vote, or do they have some guiding principles, dare I say absolutes in determining who gets inducted?  
        I am not saying subjectivity dose not play a role in determining what I like or don’t like. But there is the reality called talent, a voice being pitch perfect, levels of proficiency in mastering a instrument. In all human endeavors, abilities, talent, giftedness, and discipline is not a matter of subjectivity; otherwise mediocrity would be the standard. 
     Sam

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    29 minutes ago, shum3s said:

     If music/art is purely subjective, then what’s the big deal for a given artist to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?  Are they inducted purely on the subjectivity of the 38 individuals who vote, or do they have some guiding principles, dare I say absolutes in determining who gets inducted?  
        I am not saying subjectivity dose not play a role in determining what I like or don’t like. But there is the reality called talent, a voice being pitch perfect, levels of proficiency in mastering a instrument. In all human endeavors, abilities, talent, giftedness, and discipline is not a matter of subjectivity; otherwise mediocrity would be the standard. 
     Sam

     

    Then how do you explain Nickelback? Or any of the awful bands just like them?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    17 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

    otherwise mediocrity would be the standard. 

    Actually, it usually is. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

    I agree those artists impacted many people, but that’s what they did. Their art wasn’t better or worse than other art.

    I'd say any artist who impacted many people over a long period of time can be said to be "better" than someone who didn't.

    Say, compared to "one hit wonders" where almost no one remembers them or their song. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

    It’s art, there’s no such thing as appropriate. 

     

    Then there's no point in reading any music reviews? We cannot express an opinion about "art"?

     

    Maybe mine was not well articulated, or the term "appropriate" was not well chosen. 

     

    Regardless, sharing your enthusiasm about this album is great, but you should be open to reading negative opinions as well. It's all meant to be fun... 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...