David, It [barry Miles, Fusion Is…] is available for download albeit in mp3 format on eMusic. They have a lot of stuff available at lower prices than Amazon for instance, at good quality mp3.

Thanks for the tip, Chris. Unfortunately for me, my definition of "available for download" includes "at Red Book quality or better." It just continually burns me that record companies don't do this with out-of-print material. They whine about decreasing revenue but don't seem to want to do anything about it.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Unfortunately for me, my definition of "available for download" includes "at Red Book quality or better."

--David

I'm surprised that so many "audiophiles" and presumably music lovers, feel that way. After all it's about the music, and many a musicophile will listen to some of the worst recordings (read historical). They'll rave about the performance and claim that if they had to choose one they'd go with the performance over the better sounding lesser (but still very good) performance. Now considering how much better a quality mp3 of a quality recording sounds than a redbook historical boomy, muddy, frequency deprived recording....

It just puzzles me. Anyway, I get to listen to stuff that I love, that you can't, nah, nah.:):)

-Chris

Cassandra Wilson

New Moon Daughter

Such an amazingly rich voice; sultry. Perfect for a lovely mild summer evening.

2010 Mac mini 16GB Lion / Pure music - iTunes / Audioquest coffee USB cable / Ayre Q-B 9 DAC / Ayre K-5xe preamp / Ayre V-5xe amp / Sonus Faber concerto grand piano speakers / Rel Strata III sub / Transparent Powerwave 8 / Transparent MLPB interconnects - MWP speaker cables / Caldigit 2T Raid - 800FireWire / iPad - splashtop app

Arthur Blythe: Retroflection XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Recorded live at the Village Vanguard with stellar musicians: Arthur Blythe (alto saxophone); John Hicks (piano); Cecil McBee (bass); Bobby Battle (drums). If you are familiar with the sound at the Vanguard you can hear it in this recording.

Arthur Blythe Retroflection.jpg

Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock & Jack DeJohnette: Still Live Live, Original Recording Reissued, Disc 2. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. More better.

Keith Jarrett Still Live.jpg

Now if I could get the new beta of Audirvana Plus to play.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Heaven is sitting with my wife and daughter, and enjoying a great performance.

Remains of the Day - Soundtrack/Various Artists[/b]

Don't miss "Blue Moon" on this one. The horns are transcendent. :)

41ZVYS02Z0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Biggles Adventures In Time - Soundtrack

This is one of those guilty pleasures that only those folks who really liked the film might find interesting. Or maybe not - Jon Anderson is featured heavily on this, and it also has the only non-Queen track by John Deacon playing with The Immortals. The track is No Turning Back.

Really, if you haven't the seen the movie, it's pretty good fun for the the mid 1980s, and holds up well for the most part. The flying scenes are amazingly fun, and the soundtrack is a wonderful fit. The soundtrack quality leaves a bit to be desired, but it came out in the early days of CDs, and suffers from the state of the art in 1984.

The-Immortals-Biggles-373664.jpg

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Vangelis - Blade Runner: Esper Retirement Edition (16 / 44.1 lossless rip)

Vangelis - Blade Runner (Esper 'Retirement' Edition Disc 2) - The Score, Part 2 [EAC].jpg

A "infamous" (amongst certain circles) 'bootleg" of the complete musical soundtrack to BLADE RUNNER.

Exists in various versions - can be found where "Captain Jack & The Swedish Chief" roam :-).

(FYI - back story to Esper Productions: http://www.anunna.net/vangelis-rarities/newsite.php?methode=methode1&id=172

Been re-visitig a lot of "classic" music in my collection since I picked up my HD 600s on friday -- and boy am "luving" them.

2001 - The Original Soundtrack (vinyl 24 / 96K rip)

Stanley Kubrick - 2001 A Space Odyssey.jpg

Vangelis - Blade Runner (Esper 'Retirement' Edition Disc 1) - The Score, Part 1.jpg

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

[video=youtube_share;1lI30Qw69AQ]

Great song and great video! I'm checking out the album on Spotify as I write these lines ...

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Thanks for Ane Brun - amazing! Of course, she's Scandinavian!

2010 Mac mini 16GB Lion / Pure music - iTunes / Audioquest coffee USB cable / Ayre Q-B 9 DAC / Ayre K-5xe preamp / Ayre V-5xe amp / Sonus Faber concerto grand piano speakers / Rel Strata III sub / Transparent Powerwave 8 / Transparent MLPB interconnects - MWP speaker cables / Caldigit 2T Raid - 800FireWire / iPad - splashtop app

I'm surprised that so many "audiophiles" and presumably music lovers, feel that way.

[snip]

It just puzzles me. Anyway, I get to listen to stuff that I love, that you can't, nah, nah.:):)

Oh, I'll listen to it, I just won't buy it. (I spend at least an hour a day listening to lossy stuff -- AACs, Pandora, etc. -- on one iDevice or another, and I listen to streaming stuff at work when conditions allow.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Depeche Mode

Some Great Reward

I feel like a teenager again, up in my bedroom listening to depressing music all night. Not much has changed. I still love listening to depressing music but now it's in my living room, in my own house, and the sound quality is outrageously different! It's like listening to it for the first time again. I swear I haven't put this one in a decade but now with lossless computer files, I am revisiting so much (music, emotion, memories). I am nearly done with my collection. About 150 more to go out of about 2500 discs, started February 19th. Yay! (I clearly don't have a life outside of work and music, but both make me so happy - just one thing missing...)

just one thing missing...)

Hostess Ho-Ho's?

--David

yes love this movie too and soundtrack. I especially love the Howard's End soundtrack. Really difficult to get hold of these in Uk.

Heaven is sitting with my wife and daughter, and enjoying a great performance.

Remains of the Day - Soundtrack/Various Artists[/b]

Don't miss "Blue Moon" on this one. The horns are transcendent. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]826[/ATTACH]

Biggles Adventures In Time - Soundtrack

This is one of those guilty pleasures that only those folks who really liked the film might find interesting. Or maybe not - Jon Anderson is featured heavily on this, and it also has the only non-Queen track by John Deacon playing with The Immortals. The track is No Turning Back.

Really, if you haven't the seen the movie, it's pretty good fun for the the mid 1980s, and holds up well for the most part. The flying scenes are amazingly fun, and the soundtrack is a wonderful fit. The soundtrack quality leaves a bit to be desired, but it came out in the early days of CDs, and suffers from the state of the art in 1984.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]827[/ATTACH]

Hardware: iMac 2010, eMac, Sony Vaio laptop, iPad 2, iPhone 1g, iPhone 3GS, LaCie Porsche 100Gb external drive, Technics SA-400 Receiver/Amp, JVC A-X1 Amp, JVC L-31 Turntable. JVC T-X1L Receiver, JVC and NAD cassette decks, Technics SL-PG580A CD Player, Sony MX R-30 Personal MiniDisc Recorder, Sony MZ-E25 Personal MiniDisc Player, B&W DM610 speakers, JPW Gold Monitor Speakers, Sennheiser HD202 and Sennheiser HD445 cans.

Software: iTunes, Fidelia on iMac, Equaliser Pro on iPad 2

Technics SU-40 amplifier; Fiio E7 DAC and headphone amp; Sennheiser HD25-1ii headphones, oh and an iPod Nano 1g and iPod 3rd generation 40gb. Gorgeous.

You should try listening to some Northern Kings or Laibach... :)

I said depressing, not disturbing!