On 7/31/2021 at 4:28 PM, EuroChamp said:

Friedrich Gulda

Friedrich Gulda spielt Beethoven sämtliche Klaviersonaten

Qobuz

folder.jpg

I just now realized this is a new release.  I have the Brilliant box, and it is my favorite complete cycle.  Apart from some recklessly fast tempi in the Waldstein and Appassionata, the entire set is so well played it should've been remastered into 24-bit.

EDIT:  it's interesting to note what Jed Distler said in comparing the Brilliant and Amadeo releases a few years ago:  Beethoven: Sonatas/Gulda - Classics Today.  So we should add "... remaster and lose the fake reverb."

41 minutes ago, coot said:

Big Ohlsson fan. His LvB Sonatas are my favorites. I very much enjoy the depth he brings to the art.

I saw him here in Dallas years ago and he did a Chopin encore.  Can't believe it took me so long to follow up on that.

I just got two of his recent Brahms downloads, and they're great too.  Tremendous artist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 7:32 PM, sphinxsix said:

I recently ordered a dozen CDs with Barber's music and this is actually my first more serious listen to his pieces. Advantages of being a relative beginner in the field of classical music one could say

(16-44).

Barber - Isaac Stern • John Browning • New York Philharmonic • Leonard  Bernstein – Piano Concerto • Violin Concerto • Adagio For Strings • Second  Essay For Orchestra • Overture To The School For Scandal (2003, CD) -  Discogs

If only there were more time to listen.  Here is one of my all-time favorites:

Folder.jpg.f675e68aba07cab9466715c8932e3daf.jpg