6 hours ago, TAV said:

Care to elaborate?  ..... misses the point on every song? 

From "That Don't Make it Junk":

Too late to fix another drink
The lights are going out
I'll listen to the darkness sing
I know what that's about.

Did you get any darkness from her rendition of the song? She recited the lines without understanding the meaning.

The next track, Cry To Me, is also supposed to be dark, but again, I didn't get any sense of darkness. I wasn't ready to give up until she finished the Joni Mitchell song, which she delivered in the same style as the first two. No inner conflict, just pretty singing.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Maybe should go back to 16bit to mask the Bass ?

I can't even buy it in Canada in anything other than mp3. I streamed via Google Play Music. I just picture the bass player bending both knees and straightening again every other note. But I really do like Nora Becker.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Musicophile said:

0002894796570_600.jpg

24/96 from Qobuz.

Still one of the best Bach albums of the last 5 years.

See also here: https://musicophilesblog.com/2016/11/13/murray-perahias-french-suites-a-must-have/

Streamed it. Loved it. Bought the download and listened. Loved it. Then I listened to the Glenn Gould recording, which is quite different, and loved that too. What do you think of the Gould?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

BTW I also wasn't convinced (yet.?) with Schiff's Schubert album I posted a couple of days ago but I think it was mainly due to the sound of his (own) instrument. Somehow Steinway D (or a similar instrument) is my personal 'gold standard' as far as the piano sound is concerned. For now :)

I have to agree about the sound of the piano. Furthermore, I streamed this via Tidal (CD quality) and couldn't get through it all due to the distracting soft clicking noise - almost like a distant metronome. Did you notice that? If you want to check again, listen around 5 minutes in to the first track.

• 2 weeks later...