IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Thanks for the welcome and the PM, Ted! I look forward to ripping a few of my SACDs.

A colleague and I have been getting better at recognizing the "DSD sound" by ear, though he is much better at it than I am. I went for the SACD-capable PS3 to enable me to do A/B between the DSD and CD layers on hybrid SACDs, to find out how much sonic difference I can hear.

Cheers!

Sam

Hi ted_b,

I got a hint to this forum from my dealer. Even in YouTube you can find a cross reference to you. First I would like to say "Thank You" for providing a solution for playing SACD on the PC. The required PS3 with the firmware level <= 3.55 will arrive soon.

However the necessary software for converting is not available on the net.

I know I am probably number 8xx who asked you for this service - but could you please send me a PM with all the secrets where I can download it?

Best regards

Markus

Ted -

I am all lined up with the ps3, could you send a PM on the "How to". Your work and effort is really appreciated.

Best Regards,

Tom

Welcome to CA. :) Thanks for the kind words. PM sent.

• 3 weeks later...

Ted et al

I'm new here, but am a big fan of SACDs. I just acquired a 3.55 PS3 that I have managed to rip quite a few of my SACDs with, but I want to make sure I'm using the latest ripper, and be as knowledagble as possible so that I don't waste my time and have to go through the whole process again.

Would you be so kind as to link me to the latest ripper, and forward any good readmes you might have?

Many thanks - looking forward to hours of streamed high resolution bliss......

Rich

No "readmes" but I wrote a PDF guide to SACD Ripping For Dummies you might want. I've distributed it to probably a hundred folks so far. And i'll include the latest (v36) ripper.

PM sent.

Welcome to CA. :)

Hi All,

Just joined CA today hoping to find anything on SACD ripping. After ripping my entire 15.000+ CD collection and a lot of vinyl I want to try my SACD's as well. I browsed through this thread today. It's a bit confusing what to use for proper ripping, different versions of software and so on. I own both a Mac and a PC. I hope someone is willing to guide me here. Maybe Ted could PM me his Guide for Dummies as a start.

Bas

HOT OFF THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!

GREAT NEWS!!!!

I just chatted with Mr Wicked. And it seems there was some news this week in the PS3 scene that the keys are now available for 'lv0'. This means there will be firmware downgrades available in the very near future for all PS3s, so the limit will be completely removed..Stay tuned for more details

Hello ted_b,

Like so many others here, I am looking to backup my sacd's as well. I hope it's possible to get a copy of your guide too.

Sincerely,

Frank

Sorry, forgot to tell you I sent yours earlier (this morning) too. Welcome to CA. :)

GREAT NEWS!!!!

I just chatted with Mr Wicked. And it seems there was some news this week in the PS3 scene that the keys are now available for 'lv0'. This means there will be firmware downgrades available in the very near future for all PS3s, so the limit will be completely removed..Stay tuned for more details

More 'technical details' in Ars Technica:

Sony faces setback as hackers release PlayStation 3 decryption keys | Ars Technica

Sigh, unfortunately it's like 17 months too late as I passed my SACDs onto my father -- who's 5000 miles away :-)

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

GREAT NEWS!!!!

this is great news!

MacMini (late 2010 w/ 4 gb @ 10.9.5) dedicated to digital music (hi-res @24/96 FLAC & lossless @16/44.1) via Audirvana+ 1.5.12 * thru AQ Carbon USB to MF V-Link 192 to MF M1 DAC via Mogami Gold AES (XLR) * out to Sennheiser HD800 driven by Burson Audio HA-160 OR (when wife not home!) out to Paradigm Studio 60s driven by Golden Tree Audio SE-40 tube stereo amp * MacBook (lossey @iPod/iPad/iPhone/AppleTV + general computing) * MacBook Pro (late 2011) @ripping/tagging DVD-Audio + Blu ray Audio & for travel via Fiio E-17 * iPhone5 64gb w/ FLAC player

GREAT NEWS!!!!

This is incredible development! I have a 2nd sacd capable PS3 that may be able to rip sacd's in the near future. Just wow!

Good! Ebay prices should fall as a consequence.

Combined with re-balling, SACD/DSD future is much more secure and this segment is now here to stay.

Time for the manufacturers to get on board the DSD train!!!!!!

The sacd capable PS3's value won't go down in value I bet. It's still a rare model as most of those made are probably dead due to YLOD. The ones that are still running and good will still bring a premium.

GREAT NEWS!!!!

Hi Ted:

Does it means my PS3 of CECHG~ without SACD playback feature can now rip SACD also?

Thanks in advance.