IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

the SACD Ripper package was updated a few days ago:

version 0.3.7

- fixed a bug where arranger phonetic was referenced incorrectly during print (-P)

- option to allow individual dsf/dsdiff track extraction

- added (foobar) compatible escaping to cuesheets

- added user optional output filename/folder (last parameter)

Very funny!

Unless you are serious, in which case...ARGH!!! I just spent the better part of one whole page explaining it is NOT the ripper!!

I just announced and posted that exact changelog FOR THE WINDOWS EXTRACTION.EXE earlier this week (look earlier this week about 10 posts ago!), showed what it looked like in command mode, and EXPRESSLY stated in a post (multiple posts actually) about 12 hours ago that the SACD ripper package (a PS3 .pkg) is NOT, read is NOT, NOT the extraction app. What has been updated is the Windows-based extraction app, version 0.3.7, updated with these features and fixes. NOT, I repeat, NOT the PS3-based app called the SACD RIPPER!!!!!

Let me repeat for the 3rd time (twice today)...the SACD Ripper package is a PS3 .pkg app that rips ISO images. It has not been updated, and won't until LV0 keys are ready to allow greater-than-3.55 firmware (probably spring or summer). The newly released version 0.3.7 is just the Windows based extraction app that takes those ISO images and extracts, via commands or bat files, DSF and/or DFF files and folders..OK!!?

Hey Ted, I hear something about the SACD Ripper being updated.

/me runs for cover....

;-)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Very funny!

I just announced and posted that exact changelog FOR THE WINDOWS EXTRACTION.EXE earlier this week (look earlier this week about 10 posts ago!), showed what it looked like in command mode, and EXPRESSLY stated in a post (multiple posts actually) about 12 hours ago that the SACD ripper package (a PS3 .pkg) is NOT, read is NOT, NOT the extraction app. What has been updated is the Windows-based extraction app, version 0.3.7, updated with these features and fixes. NOT, I repeat, NOT the PS3-based app called the SACD RIPPER!!!!!

Let me repeat for the 3rd time (twice today)...the SACD Ripper package is a PS3 .pkg app that rips ISO images. It has not been updated, and won't until LV0 keys are ready to allow greater-than-3.55 firmware (probably spring or summer). The newly released version 0.3.7 is just the Windows based extraction app that takes those ISO images and extracts, via commands or bat files, DSF and/or DFF files and folders..OK!!?

I've just rewritten your post so it reads better

I just announced and posted that exact changelog FOR THE WINDOWS RIPPER.EXE earlier this week (look earlier this week about 10 posts ago!), showed what it looked like in command mode, and EXPRESSLY stated in a post (multiple posts actually) about 12 hours ago that the SACD extraction package (a PS3 .pkg) is NOT, read is NOT, NOT the ripper app. What has been updated is the Windows-based ripper app, version 0.3.7, updated with these features and fixes. NOT, I repeat, NOT the PS3-based app called the SACD RIPPER!!!!!

Let me repeat for the 3rd time (twice today)...the SACD Extraction package is a PS3 .pkg app that extracts ISO images. It has not been updated, and won't until LV0 keys are ready to allow greater-than-3.55 firmware (probably spring or summer). The newly released version 0.3.7 is just the Windows based ripper app that takes those ISO images and rips, via commands or bat files, DSF and/or DFF files and folders.

These two applications constitute a client-server system in its default mode. One requires the other. The client tools are required to control the PS3 server app (its actualled called the sacd "daemon" in the source code. The client tool actually directs and controls both ISO extraction including collecting the data and writing the ISO file and file ripping from the ISO, generating info.

You can rename the ps3 package to sacd_isoextract.pkg and it will still work. Almost all the brains, command and control is in the Windows binary when used in client server mode.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

Pacwin, please stop. And how dare you rewrite my post. This is all wrong, contradicts its own made-up terms in two places,

What has been updated is the Windows-based ripper app, version 0.3.7, updated with these features and fixes. NOT, I repeat, NOT the PS3-based app called the SACD RIPPER!!!!!.......Let me repeat for the 3rd time (twice today)...the SACD Extraction package is a PS3 .pkg app that extracts ISO images.

and confuses the SACD ripping public. The PS3 app is called the SACD ripper and all it does is rip (to an ISO, period). It does not extract (in its latest versions). It has a user option to hand off, via the network daemon (as said many times) the ISO to SACD-extract.exe on a LAN-connected Windows box, but so what. The SACD-extract.exe is an extraction app on Windows and all it does is extract DSF and DIFF files from said ISO (whether earlier ripped or bought via download). Period. This Windows (and earlier Mac) executable is where more development will occur.

I find your revisionist history disturbing. Your nomenclature and made-up rules are simply to make your earlier faux paus work...it's silly, wrong, not what Mr Wicked and his team have named them, and puts us way behind in getting any knowledge to the public. Please please stop. The Windows executable is not called a ripper, never was and never will be. The new version 0.37 is not a change to the PS3 sacd_ripper.pkg, it is a change to the Windows sacd_extract app.

Moreover, your earlier post that showed the changelog I personally published several days earlier on this same thread! Why repost?? It was simply a copy of what I did (minus the addtl screenshots) and the names changed (erroneously called the update to the SACD ripper package). Please add your own knowledge, don't just repost others and calling it yours. I am very surprised by all this, as you had up-till now been a CA poster of real value. As you can tell I take this seriously and don't appreciate blatant misquoting, etc.

Hi ted-b.

I have located and bought (on eBay, wish me luck!) a one owner PS3 type CECH-C03, and hope it will have the right firmware. I would be most grateful if you can send me your SACD ripping guide.

When I have mastered how to do it I should be able to keep the DSD? files on my hard disc and play them through a Mytek 192 DSD pre-amp, right? Cool.

Many thanks for providing this service.

Joe

Hi ted-b.

I have located and bought (on eBay, wish me luck!) a one owner PS3 type CECH-C03, and hope it will have the right firmware. I would be most grateful if you can send me your SACD ripping guide.

When I have mastered how to do it I should be able to keep the DSD? files on my hard disc and play them through a Mytek 192 DSD pre-amp, right? Cool.

Many thanks for providing this service.

Joe

Email sentt. Enjoy.

What sort of DSF extraction speeds are people getting?

Stereo extracts at about 250MB/s for me but multichannel manages about 8.5MB/s. Allso multichannel maxes out all cores, I'm wondering if it doesnt like hyperthreading.

It all depends upon whether the files are compressed with DST or not. Stereo only disks are typically not using DST compression, Disks with multichannel areas often require both areas to be compressed. Uncompressed multichannel is a rare combination if at all. The number of multichannel only disks is exceedingly small. I've never seen such high stereo rates as yours. The multichannel rate would be typical of a fast i7 CPU.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

It all depends upon whether the files are compressed with DST or not. Stereo only disks are typically not using DST compression, Disks with multichannel areas often require both areas to be compressed. Uncompressed multichannel is a rare combination if at all. The number of multichannel only disks is exceedingly small. I've never seen such high stereo rates as yours. The multichannel rate would be typical of a fast i7 CPU.

Thanks Pacwin. That would make sense, the stereo disks seem to be disk IO limited whilst the multichannel disks are very cpu heavy and multithreaded (Rate varies for multichannel, most are about 11Mbyte/sec). CPU is an [email protected] and using an SSD which might explain the high stereo rate. You have also managed to explain why the ISOs are smaller than the sum of the files in some cases (Guessing DSF is always uncompressed).

Hi Ted,

I got an old CHECC02 60GB and would love to start ripping my sacd collection. could you please PM me.

Best regards and thanks for ur great work

Jeremy

PM sent. Welcome to CA. :)

Thanks to all I am now ripping my first SACD! I had to do the heat gun trick to a ylod PS3, hope it holds out. I look forwards to trying native DSD in JRiver.

That's great news. My heat gun attempts on two machines earlier machines failed (DOA and stayed like that). I've done a fan mod on mine, so it runs at max all the time, noisy as hell but it dissipates the heat very well.

Enjoy!

I successfully ripped all of my SACDs, software worked great. I can now use JRiver to play all my SACD music, as I use it for all others already, just what I wanted to do. If someone is interested in my PS3, PM me. I don't see any more pop/rock multichannel releases on the horizon, so it would just go in the closet for now. Thanks to all who made this possible!

I just received my ps3 v3.15 and am excited to get started ripping my sacd collection. Could you please send me your guide?

What a great site for beginning computer audiophiles!!! Looking forward to being a participating member.

PM sent. Welcome to CA. :)

Ted... is there any news on being able to downgrade from later firmware versions yet?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.