IGNORED

JPlay - a Player for Windows

I have downloaded and installed the new JPlay v4 on my headless MacMini.

Although it works...

I installed iTunes and loaded up my ALAC library....

Eventually found the JPlay Settings sitting in the tray (W4S DAC2 needs to be set to 32 bit rather than Native)...

And pressed play on iTunes....

And got lovely sound!

But....

I understand that JPlay runs as a service (have checked that out).

But where the hell is the non-"JPLAY for iTunes" .exe??

I would like to try playing music without the iTunes interface for comparison ie. using the Clipboard interface - but where is it??

Sorry for the stupid question but I cannot find a user manual for JPlay that covers v4.

Any advice would be most welcome :D

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

Love the option to use it through iTunes or Foobar interface - a big step forward.

But can someone explain to me how it works this way - when I ran it under Foobar most of my regular PC functions seemed to still work. So how is it working compared to the original (mini) interface?

Thanks,

Danny

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I've tried the hibernation mode and my pc play 1 second/note and then nothing... All goes black and It doesn't come back after the 3/4 minutes of the song... Have to manually reboot. Tried that 4-5 times and always the same...

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

It's the only one that works for me.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

This app and I don't get along somehow...

Installed the dll in the components folder ok. Played a network files on NAS, ERROR=3 can't play or file not found. OK, tried to play the same file locally, just spits of static randomly. Set Foobar to playback none (playback device, still spits. Rebooted, still spits.

Output device was the Halide Bridge.

Tried the built in Realtek output, well that was silence and no spits. Read the readme file, just to make sure wasn't missing something vital. Still spits and silence. Oh well, uninstall, move on.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Elp,

I've tried direct link, I've tried 256... same thing... One note plays and boom, the screen goes black and the music stops...

Whenever I reboot the computer a bad/loud sound comes out of my speakers...

JPlay might give better sound but It sure isn't the most friendly player around! I tried finding the jminiplayer to no avail... No .exe files in the Jplay folder... Only the possibility to open with iTunes...

Granted, I might be blind or just can't see/find It.

Shouldn't the pc be back from hibernation once the song is finished playing?

EDIT: I finally found the jmini... Again, tried both direct link AND 256... Same thing happened... Hibernation just won't work here... Oh well...

He dummy,

are you using KS or Wasapi ?

Have you tried the other way ?

What I don't understand is that you get sound before the screen goes black. In my case, Hibernate does load the playlist, and then is entering hibernation and plays music.

Yes, the pc should be back from hibernation.

If you have set short delays before the screen is powered off in windows, you might need to move the mouse to trigger the screen again.

Have you tried with a usb stick ?

If you plug one and select this option in settings, then unplugging the stick should bring windows back too.

Elp

Yes I did try both Kernel Arcam and Wasapi Realtek audio... Same results always. With both iTunes and jmini... With jmini I can "see" the loading of the file... and the music start, one note and... nothing.

I tried many times with a Kate Bush very short interlude from Aerial (1:01) and even after 3-4 minutes the pc doesn't come back from hibernation. I moved the mouse, I hit escape, I talked to the pc... No can't do.

Funny thing is, with Jplay/iTunes and jmini without hibernation, JPlay do work.

I haven't tried the USB stick because... well, for me It's becoming tedious at this point and no fun no more. The anthesis of what, *I* feel, computer audio should be.

But I understand their point of view for It to be a "pure" music player only requiring a bit more "love" shall we say. Oddly enough, even with Jplay/iTunes, I can hear my pc working/being busy much more so than what I am used to with JRiver.

One and a half,

Maybe halide needs higher buffer size, especially for hi-rez since it's UAC1 only?

dummy,

As a last resort you may try USB stick. When it is plugged in you will be able to select it under Hibernate e.g. if stick is drive 'E:' then Hibernate will show 'Via USB E:' option.

If you pull out the stick during Hibernate JPLAY will stop playback and exit Hibernate.

On some systems, neither FullScale nor TurboCore nor ViaUSB Hibernate works.

ONLY if you have such a system as last resort you can try to manually change USBMode from 0 to 1 in jplay.settings.

Then, 'Via USB' should work even on your system.

Priaptor,

Pess 'a' in JPLAYmini until you see your DAC name in Kernel Streaming. Or it could be that some other app is blocking the output? (KS needs exclusive)

Let's not make a mess here :) If you want to sort it out, please contact us at [email protected], we'll be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

He Dummy,

I moved the mouse, I hit escape, I talked to the pc... No can't do.

Lol.

I can see what you mean.

At this point, this is rarely polite speaking :)

That's a shame you can't use it that way.

I'm sure Marcin and Josef will sort this out if you contact them directly (see previous post from Marcin).

Anyway, do you like the sound in non-hibernation mode ?

In my system, this is already a revelation, so I guess it gives a good taste of what Jplay is able to achieve.

Let me know how it ends up.

Cheers,

Elp

PS : just one last word, you need to set the arcam as the default windows audio output to use it in wasapi. And, as Marcin said, exclusive access is required (this is an option in audio properties).

I gave up at this point on the hibernation thing. I was mostly curious because It is suppose to be the best so far.

Non-hibernation mode is quite good. Not a revelation though. Not for *me* at least. But definitely blacker and quieter background than JRiver. Slight but real. Again, to my ears.

I could email the designers but I am not that invested anymore so no need to waste anyone's time even If It is exactly what I am doing here somewhat!

Thanks for the help though.