IGNORED

Article: More Quadio is Coming, and it’s Really Cool

So, I know Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's 'Brain Salad Surgery' was recorded in quad. In fact, they used a Quad PA system at concerts. If memory serves me right (saw a documentary on ELP and their Concerts in Europe on a flight on CODA).

Also, Queens Night at the Opera was recorded in quad as well. I have the DVD-A 5.1 of that LP. It is wild to listen to in surround. The Prophet's Song is the one to listen to.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

QUADRAPHONIC: 1970s Rock Albums (4.0 Surround) - Rate Your Music

More on the list that could be remastered.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Word on the street is that as long as these keep selling really well, Rhino will keep selling them.

bedtime-mouse.gif

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Do check out Bohemian Rhapsody on that Night At The Opera album. In 5.1 MCH, it’s crazy cool. 

As to Quadio recordings, if you are a Roon user, you likely will need to create a silent 5th (ie, center) channel. My experience with the Chicago Quadio recordings from a few years ago is that Roon would not properly play out all four channel in the right speakers without doing so. Same MMH software as Chris used is what works for this, as well. 

And, by the way, my experience — at least using HQPlayer for convolution and upscaling and Roon for control — is that changing the channel count doesn’t require creating blank channels (but for the issue I describe above).  My filters are 8 channel but work fine with 2, 4, 6 and 8 channel material. JCR 

Don;t forget the great Rhino Quadio offerings from Chicago and The Doobie Brothers.  The Chicago box set is NINE albums, the Doobies one is FOUR albums.  They are amazing.  :)

14 hours ago, esimms86 said:

There’s also an OOP Rhino Aretha Franklin mixed in multichannel.

By the way Chris, have you ever checked out Dutton Vocalion’s quad reissues or the long OOP Audio Fidelity discs in 4.0 and 5.1?

Whoa, how could I never have heard of the Dutton site! Some good ocntent there, but only on SACD it appears. Wish the site offered some on Blu-ray or download. Much easier to put on a music server. 

Thanks!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

C'mon Chris, you rip the SACD to iso and DSD, and play it through software or through your OPPO blu ray player (in bitstream format if you have to). Is it so hard? Same with the Sony 7" SACD series with purchases done through cdjapan.. Can you say "Bitches Brew," "Mott The Hoople," "Rick Derringer All American Boy" or "Love, Devotion, Surrender," etc.? And the Dutton Vocalion discs (often twofers) are the best values in digital quad!

24 minutes ago, esimms86 said:

C'mon Chris, you rip the SACD to iso and DSD, and play it through software or through your OPPO blu ray player (in bitstream format if you have to). Is it so hard? Same with the Sony 7" SACD series with purchases done through cdjapan.. Can you say "Bitches Brew," "Mott The Hoople," "Rick Derringer All American Boy" or "Love, Devotion, Surrender," etc.? And the Dutton Vocalion discs (often twofers) are the best values in digital quad!

I totally hear you! I want it all. So far I’ve avoided ripping SACD. That’s a rabbit hole I don’t want to go down for some reason. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

39 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I totally hear you! I want it all. So far I’ve avoided ripping SACD. That’s a rabbit hole I don’t want to go down for some reason. 

That's what I used to think back when. I then I PM'ed Ted_b, LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

I gotta say Rhino customer service and fulfillment is absolutely positively completely useless.

I placed an order for the first 5 titles January 11, and have pinged CS 5 times for updates, all they can say is "our warehouse is experiencing high orders".

Unbelievable really. 

1 hour ago, Danny Kaey said:

I gotta say Rhino customer service and fulfillment is absolutely positively completely useless.

I placed an order for the first 5 titles January 11, and have pinged CS 5 times for updates, all they can say is "our warehouse is experiencing high orders".

Unbelievable really. 

I wish this was unbelievable, but it's totally believable :~(

I order directly from Rhino only because you can get 4 for the price of 3. After I order I cross my fingers and delight in the surprise of things actually showing up in a timely manner. 

Rhino has been this way for as long as I can remember. Even going back to when the company actually sold downloads for a hot minute. I had issues and never returned, until these Quadio releases.

The Rhino "Quadio" series features some outstanding 1970's immersive 4.0 mixes indeed, but what it really comes down to is the album titles, the music, they are albums which we still enjoying listening to.  "Paranoid" is an obvious crown jewel of the first four bunch, but all of the selections here are smartly curaited.  It also does not hurt that they are priced and positioned so that it makes sense to just get and collect them all and be done with it.  It's actually much less expensive than quad LPs and tapes were back in 73/74.

It's also worth mentioning that there is a Chicago "Quadio" box set that contains every album for which was given a quadraphonic mix in the 70s including their "Greatest Hits" album, at 9 discs total.  Now out-of-print and now demanding a few c-notes to acquire, I suspect that there will eventually be another limited run of this box set.  If the series continues to be a success, a repress of that set seems a no-brainer.

https://www.discogs.com/release/8760859-Chicago-Quadio

On 2/5/2024 at 9:58 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wish this was unbelievable, but it's totally believable :~(

I order directly from Rhino only because you can get 4 for the price of 3. After I order I cross my fingers and delight in the surprise of things actually showing up in a timely manner. 

Rhino has been this way for as long as I can remember. Even going back to when the company actually sold downloads for a hot minute. I had issues and never returned, until these Quadio releases.

I had no idea, I really never ordered anything from Rhino before. I am in the process of documenting this for an upcoming Rhino shit-show video release on my channel.

Yesterday, I finally heard from someone other than a chat bot who told me my order was canceled somehow - for no apparent reason - and they are now going to resubmit the order gratis for me. This is almost to the date a full 4 weeks after I had placed my order January 11. 

Clearly Rhino - Warner Music - is utterly incapable of managing their fulfillment center. Unbelievable really in 2024.