IGNORED

Article: Tsuyoshi Yamamoto - A Shade of Blue (Immersive Edition)

On 12/10/2023 at 3:50 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

So strange (not you!). I think Qobuz has it for sale at 24/192. 

It does, but only for Sublime subscribers.  Interestingly, although they claim that Studio level subscribers have access to all the hi-res content for streaming only (not purchase) this is an example where you can't stream the 24/192 version (only the 16/44 version).  As advertised the two tiers never made sense to me: Why should you pay more each month for the privilege to buy what you can already stream (presumably they want to encourage as many purchases as possible).  But if they are also limiting the streaming quality then they aren't living up to their sales representations, which say that Studio level gets full access to 24/192 and 24/96 files for streaming.. 

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

54 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

It does, but only for Sublime subscribers.  Interestingly, although they claim that Studio level subscribers have access to all the hi-res content for streaming only (not purchase) this is an example where you can't stream the 24/192 version (only the 16/44 version).  As advertised the two tiers never made sense to me: Why should you pay more each month for the privilege to buy what you can already stream (presumably they want to encourage as many purchases as possible).  But if they are also limiting the streaming quality then they aren't living up to their sales representations, which say that Studio level gets full access to 24/192 and 24/96 files for streaming.. 

Ah, that would explain what we see. Indeed, as a Qobuz Studio subscriber, I do now feel I am not getting what I pay for according to their sales proposition. As simple as that.

Any potential subsequent discussion about whether one would hear a difference between 24/192 and 24/44.1 is a different story, completely unrelated to the a.m. commercial aspect.

20 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Did you have a chance to listen?

I did!  My immersive system is a bit slapdash right now: I have a fully convolved stereo system (courtesy of Focus Fidelity), but "only" Audyssey MultEq xt32 for the full surround system.  Also, Roon doesn't yet support Atmos, so my first listen was of the 5.1 FLAC files, which were wonderful in and of themselves.

Playing the MP4 files via JRiver Media Center was another step up (Atmos decoded via Denon 3700H receiver). 

I plan on listening to the MKV files in the next day or so - lots of Christmas music / performing going on here, so relatively little free time - but very much looking forward to it :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

36 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Just a quick update - I did listen to the MKV files today, between concert last night and final dress for next performance this evening.

As expected, they sounded stunning.  The only way I could find to play them properly within my environment was to have Plex index them as video files and play back as "original" (i.e., no transcoding) on my Shield, which let my receiver decode them as Dolby Atmos.  Lovely.

Thanks for the update. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 1 month later...

I copied the MKV files to a flash drive that I plugged into my Oppo 103D which is connected to an AVM70. I can play the files but the AVM70 does not see the files as Atmos. It shows Dolby Surround as the decoding.  I have the same issue with Yello Point MKV files i extracted with MakeMKV.  However if I play the Blu-ray of Point it decodes as Atmos.  Any thought why this might be happening? Thanks

8 minutes ago, Roy Boy said:

I copied the MKV files to a flash drive that I plugged into my Oppo 103D which is connected to an AVM70. I can play the files but the AVM70 does not see the files as Atmos. It shows Dolby Surround as the decoding.  I have the same issue with Yello Point MKV files i extracted with MakeMKV.  However if I play the Blu-ray of Point it decodes as Atmos.  Any thought why this might be happening? Thanks

It depends on the media player being used to select and play the files and the input used. Yours may not be capable of TrueHD Atmos via USB. Via hdmi it is capable though (obviously). 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png