IGNORED

My Ethernet is slower than my wifi. Should I still use it for audio streaming?

People who are into audiophile music streaming have told me that streaming Spotify through wifi is a no-no. They claim that the sound is much better when the streaming device is connected to the internet through an Ethernet cable.

The reason should be that whenever a digital signal is transmitted through the air, it is divided into small pockets of information instead of the continuous stream of info traveling through a cable.

I'm open to testing the difference, but I've now done a speed test of my internet connection through Ethernet cable vs. through wifi, and I'm surprised to discover that the download time is higher through the cable. But jitter and ping time is reduced a bit. 

Which is more important - download speed, or ping time, or jitter, or none of this?
Would you use wifi or Ethernet for Spotify on my system?

Do you know something that might be relevant to my situation? 

Results from internet speed tests:

Wifi connection:

Download: 260 Mbps

Upload: 90 Mbps

Ping: 17 ms

Jitter: 3 ms

Ethernet cable connection:

Download: 87 Mbps

Upload: 95 Mbps

Ping: 12 ms

Jitter: 2 ms

I'm very surprised to discover that my download speed is reduced to 1/3 when using an Ethernet cable. I'm open to trying out other cables if you think it'll improve my sound. At the moment, this is my internet signal path through Ethernet:

My router is a Sagemcom F@ST 3890V3 WU. My subscription at Telia in Denmark promises 1 GB/s.

- > Short Ethernet cable from router to socket in the wall

- > Eight meters of cable inside the wall, installed by an electrician

- > Short Ethernet cable from another wall socket to Satechi 'USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet adapter'

- > Microsoft Surface Book 2

The Satechi USB-C to Ethernet adaptor claims to support speeds up to 1,000 Mbps.

I love the Microsoft Surface Book 2, which I use as a dedicated audio streamer. It's fast and reliable but has no built-in Ethernet socket. An adapter to USB-C is needed.

Thank you for your thoughts 😊

20 minutes ago, STC said:

I had the same problem until I realized I did not enable the Gigabit Ethernet. 

https://keys.direct/blogs/blog/how-to-enable-gigabit-ethernet-windows-10

Wow, wow, wow!!!!

That is the quickest problem-solving I've experienced in any forum. 🤩 You're right. Here is the result of my latest speed test. Within a few minutes, my download speed has been multiplied by EIGHT.

Ethernet cable connection:

Download: 710 Mbps

Upload: 96 Mbps

Ping: 11 ms

Jitter: 2 ms

And now the big question is if the higher speed, the 'non-pocketed' data stream, or something else (what?)  will make any audible difference to my system. Do you have any experience with this, too?

UPDATE: To me, Spotify sounds way more natural and ”real”, now that my streamer is no longer on wifi, and that the Gigabit Ethernet has been enabled. I looooved my system, now I LOOOOVE it. 😁

But this is just after a few minutes of listening. I’m aware of a huge psychological component here. The difference might just be my excitement about getting my new system set up and working. I don't plan to swap back and forth multiple times to A-B and explore the difference. I’m just going to enjoy!

My system is simple:

Spotify and J.River Media Center on a Microsoft Surface Book 2

-> Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB

-> Two active Genelec 8361A studio monitors digitally EQ’ed by the Genelec GLM system

It sounds awesome! 🤪

2 hours ago, ChrisFromDublin said:

People who are into audiophile music streaming have told me that streaming Spotify... is a no-no. 😊

So those same audiophiles haven't told you that Spotify period, no matter how it's served up, isn't the right choice for getting the best sound? Interesting...

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

7 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

So those same audiophiles haven't told you that Spotify period, no matter how it's served up, isn't the right choice for getting the best sound? Interesting...

Nope. 

I came to audio streaming with the impression that Spotify would never be able to play with audiophile quality. I'd heard this ages ago, but now I've talked to people who disagree about this. Professional dealers of audiophile equipment have told me that Spotify can sound good when you use it for streaming to an Ethernet-connected stationary system. 

And, yes, I must say, it sounds pretty amazing. 

10 hours ago, ChrisFromDublin said:

And now the big question is if the higher speed, the 'non-pocketed' data stream, or something else (what?)  will make any audible difference to my system. Do you have any experience with this, too?

Both WiFi and Ethernet giving me the max bandwidth. I was using Ethernet but now using WI-FI since ethernet connection sometimes need to be reset due to the firewall. With Wi-Fi, it has been a couple of years and no issues so far.

I too use JRiver and to my non audiophile ears I don’t ear any difference. My buffer setting is relative large so I wouldn’t notice any dropouts. 

Hope that helps.

3 hours ago, ChrisFromDublin said:

Oh, I've read in the user manual for a streamer from a reputable electronics company that I MUST use Ethernet instead of Wifi. I never really understood why. 

Plain vanilla Ethernet is relatively immune to environment electrical interference that can degrade throughput and jitter. WiFi can be affected metal in your walls and electrical interference from other radio wave emitting devices. As long as you keep the transmission path clean for WiFi between you and your audio device all should be good. But as modern homes get congested by more and more WiFi devices the less predictable performance will be. For that reason keeping your streamer/NAS on an Ethernet switch off the router will avoid ghost problems when other members of the family are using wifi or gear that interferes with WiFi is operated.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 8/26/2023 at 2:43 PM, ChrisFromDublin said:

People who are into audiophile music streaming have told me that streaming Spotify through wifi is a no-no.

They are simply wrong. It works like a charm via wifi into my MacbookPro and USB-DAC.

BUT you must be sure that you have the right Spotify settings for best sound quality enabled:

https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6130

Then all is fine, enjoy!

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 hour ago, matthias said:

They are simply wrong. It works like a charm via wifi into my MacbookPro and USB-DAC.

BUT you must be sure that you have the right Spotify settings for best sound quality enabled:

https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6130

Then all is fine, enjoy!

Matt

Thank you, Matt 😊

Thank you - both for correcting the other experts and for reminding us about these essential settings in Spotify. Your link was to the point. 

23 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

It should be enabled by default (1000baseT), it is auto sensing, if Ethernet cable and switch are compatibile 

You can check in Prefeferences/Network then select Ethernet and Hardware (the last tab) 

Ok, I set it to 1000baseT.

There is also settings for duplex and MTU. Should I leave it as it is? As per now, for duplex it is "Full-duplex, flow control, energy-efficient ethernet"; and for MTU it is "standard (1500)"

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 5:39 PM, keithc said:

What is the actual network speed needed for audiophile transmission of high-res streaming, say worst case of DSD256 or 512?

Curious since a few manufacturers mention the use of 100mbs networking instead of 1000mbs due to lower noise and overall gains.

2channel stereo network rates:

DSD64 (1x) is 5,5mpbs

DSD128 is 11mpbs

DSD256 is 22mbps

DSD512 is 44mpbs

DSD1024 is 88mpbs