IGNORED

Article: Optimizing my Dolby Atmos Music System

I currently have a hybrid 2-channel and 7.1 system that includes video. I am considering moving to a 7.2.4 system to fully experience Atmos music. Is there a path to a 7.2.4 system that includes video and DSP?

Just to add a little more detail. In my 7.1 system I have two sources. AppleTV and I stream my ripped MCH-SACD from my NAS via an Oppo 103D via HDMI into my processor (old Integra DHC-80.3)

My 2-channel is streamed from my NAS to Lumin A1 directly to Coda No.8 amp (with Manley Skipjack in between to switch between stereo and 5.1) I have a growing collection of ripped vinyl at 24/352.

IMG_1452.HEIC

@Roy Boy I have a video system using a sound bar.  The ATMOS music system I have is Audio only.    Many of the current Video processors have DSP corrections but they are not at anywhere near the level of control we have using a Mac or a PC.

I am currently limited to 24/192 using the DAC system I have in my system.  I hope soon to test with two of the 8-channel Topping DACs.

Rather than deal with multiple DACs , I encourage anyone who is starting down this path to investigate pro audio interfaces like this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/24Ao--motu-24ao-usb-avb-ios-interface.. Yes, you wil lhave to deal with a different method of cabling than you may be used to but there are pre-made snakes to handle the db25 outputs or you can make your own if you can solder

there are options at various price points and they also accept a word clock which is nice in some applications.

no opinion on this particular unit, just an example of what is available

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

1 minute ago, bbosler said:

Rather than deal with multiple DACs , I encourage anyone who is starting down this path to investigate pro audio interfaces like this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/24Ao--motu-24ao-usb-avb-ios-interface.. Yes, you wil lhave to deal with a different method of cabling than you may be used to but there are pre-made snakes to handle the db25 outputs or you can make your own if you can solder

there are options at various price points and they also accept a word clock which is nice in some applications.

no opinion on this particular unit, just an example of what is available

Ahem, the same interface Bob is already using :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...

It is time for an update.  Over the last two weeks, I have replaced my core network with a Ubiquity system.  The new network has fixed about 99.5% of the issues I have had with IoT, mDNS, Airplay, and other items.  The big boon to me is that the Apple Remote App on my iPhone is now working way better controlling Apple Music on the ATMOS system.  I still have a problem with some playlists not updating on the Remote App, even though they show correctly on the Mac Mini. I have always dreamed of controlling my audio system this way—no extra databases, software, cost, etc.

I have started a cleanup pass through my local library.  I want to decide how I want it to look.  For now, I am going back to Artist and Album rather than Genre first.  I am using iDrive to do more backups to the cloud, and I am working through the problem of Sonos in the rest of the house, being able to play the local library properly.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...