IGNORED

Article: Immersive Music and Some Current Favorites, Part 4 

Yesterday I set up my living room 2-channel system to evaluate a product I am reviewing. I listened for a while to some tracks that I understood very well. Things work fine, yet the system sound is off. I shrug and go back down to my office. Something about the upstairs system is bugging me, so I fire up the ATMOS system and play the same tracks. They sound "right, really right ."OH, Bob, you silly person, the ATMOS system is DSP corrected; my brain and ears are not broken. As I am working, I put the Audiophile Style ATMOS playlist on. The snow globe of music around me is back again, and all is right with the world, well, this little part of it.

"Quaid, Free Your Mind" I am not a mutant mind reader on Mars; I am not in a chair at Recall; I am at home immersed in music that touches my core.

Now to make WAV files to listen to Mr. Big! in TrueHD. Thanks for the tip on that one. I did not open the email!

10 hours ago, ted_b said:

And the good mixes are a revelation.  It's a view into music that actually has always existed in three dimensions anyway.  And now we get to hear it.

I would like to add that the artists have a new dimension to explore.  And to ask those at the mixing console to let us hear what you and the performer can do.  No not crush your work!  

Bob, yes the extra dimension can be used in a number of ways.  And in each example the extra room that an instrument (or voice) has to occupy helps us hear it resonate and decay in real space.  That "alive" feeling, that experience at the beginning of a track when the presence of the amps are turned on or the air in the recorded space is clearly transferred to our listening room, even before the first notes, is something to hear and feel.  Even in compressed streams.  Which is why I just dropped another $49 (with shipping from Germany) for more stuff from IAN Records.  These guys are doing it right.  After hearing their Jazzmachine "24" on Apple I had to have it, and last night, after listening to Alessandro Quarta Plays Astor Piazzolla I had to have that one too.  The presence is beyond palpable.  😎

Working Man's Dead is available in a very nice Mickey Hart-led 5.1 mix on DVD-Audio, released in 2002, but not yet an immersive release.  That album, like American Beauty, was released in 1970.  What a year for them!

On 1/11/2023 at 9:29 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Last note, sometimes I publish these articles and think "nobody" likes them.

Thank goodness there is an infinite amount of digital ink

We have it stuck in our collective heads that Stereo is “all we can do”.  

As you said above:

“My musical world has opened up very wide since I installed my system. “

Does it feel odd that we have to be “advocates” for Immersive Audio?

Europe '72 is the first of, I think, many immersive Grateful Dead live albums (as has been said, there's no paucity of material, assuming these tapes are multitrack like when Warner Bors. gave the Dead a 16 track recorder for these live tracks in '72).  Steven Wilson and others have hinted such.  And if they are anywhere near the immersion (middle of the band) of Europe '72 I am quite stoked. 

The 22 concerts of the Europe 72 tour were released in a set of 73 CDs. At the same time, touring in Europe was more of an exception -- it was always important for Dead to remain close to their roots, to be continuously in the familiar environment, to stay connected with their followers. They didn't perform abroad very often, not alike many and many famous bands harvesting money wherever they can fly. And while the band is notable for its live performance level consistency in the seventies, the other years were the best: '77, '78, '76, '73, and so on.

But, again, Dead's vast array of non-commercial recordings, which remain valuable to Deadheads, are far from industry standards of sound quality, and the very principle of free amateur taping is as far as anything from the recording industry juggernaut. More than any other important band in history, the Dead were out of the corporate recording system loop.