IGNORED

Article: Schiit Texas Audio Roundup - Writeup

I agree with Chris that the Texas Roundup was a great event. However, it would have been even better in Philly. 😇 Seriously though, it was great to finally be able to meet Chris in person as opposed to Zoom and the phone. It should come as no surprise that Chris is a great guy! The Bifrost 2/64 was interesting. It took a good bit of listening to get a handle on what it was doing. Using the Megacomboburrito filter, it sounded  marvelous and a clear step up, at least for me, from what I have heard listening to the original Bifrost 2. It shares many attributes as the LIM, which is saying something. The NOS mode had a rather consistent effect on the sound, across different genres of music, that I would describe as a softening of the sound and a narrowing of the soundstage. It was not for me but I can see why some would prefer it, especially those that love to experiment with digital filters. As for the Folkvanger, it did sound fantastic but is is expensive and the tubes get real hot, getting up to 400 degrees F. There is no cage, so keep the cats away. It is my understanding that there are few left so if you want one, you will likely have to move fast. At a cheaper price point, I was rather impressed with the Lyr +. For traveling purposes, I may just have to get one and pair it with the Bifrost 2/64 as I sure enjoyed listening to Chris’ Japanese Jazz catalogue with this combo. As for Emotiva, it just so happens that I am in the market to finally upgrade my HT set up to add a 4K display and Atmos. Emotiva has a pair of powerful receivers coming out in the fall that are rather versatile and click all of the HT boxes for yours truly. Looks like I will have to get one. I will be calling you Dan in September! Again, it was a great event and I would like to thank Jason and the wonderful Denise at Schiit for inviting me. A great time was surely had by all.

Just now, JoshM said:

Hey @The Computer Audiophile, I heard you went to another DAC showdown while at the show. What were your thoughts on the various DACs auditioned?

While technically present at the DAC showdown, I had trouble really listening because the system was very different. I'm sure some people liked it, but it really wasn't to my taste. Plus, it was a very difficult room. 

I would've loved to listen to the DACs present, in a different system in a different room. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, SlimPickins said:

Chris, 

Outside of press releases, any ideas why the new Tyr amp has received very little coverage/testing from the audio press?

I assumed the media would be chomping at the bit to test a pair.

Have you had a chance to audition the Tyr monoblocks?

Thanks, 

That's a great question, to which I don't have an answer. They are really cool. I haven't had a chance to audition a pair yet. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 7/25/2022 at 7:03 PM, JoeWhip said:

I agree with Chris that the Texas Roundup was a great event. 

Did you get some info from Schiit at the event about URD, maybe whether it will be released this year or later?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Did you get some info from Schiit at the event about URD, maybe whether it will be released this year or later?

Thanks

Matt

Yes, there is no timetable on when the Urd will be released. It is my understanding that the software for the hub function is good to go. However, the transport mechanisms are not yet available and there is no ETA on that. Hopefully some time this year. Otherwise, the Urd is finished.