IGNORED

How To Install HQPlayer Embedded On Ubuntu

4 hours ago, shum3s said:

So after I boot from a usb stick, can I follow the above script to get embedded up and running?  
 Sam 

You need to install Ubuntu 22.04 LTS server first, then install low latency kernel-either HWE or @Miska’s kernel, then go to Signalyst website, install https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/ packages and under link for hqplayerd https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/

install latest hqpe for your cpu.

Here are instructions from @Rovo earlier in the thread:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/63747-how-to-install-hqplayer-embedded-on-ubuntu/?do=findComment&comment=1240284

If you want to use HqpOS image you can do that too- flash image to USB stick using Balena Etcher or similar and boot from usb - again located at Signalyst website under images https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/images

HQPe is better than HqpOS with regards to CPU load in my experience.  In addition HQPe allows GPU offloading whereas HqpOS doesn’t.

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, Snakeoil OS NAA/NAA image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

When playing with Roon, then there's a stream from Roon, since it inserts itself between the source and HQPlayer.

It is therefore important to switch off all signal processing in Roon. This means no DSP (MUSE) to achieve bit-perfect forwarding to HQPlayer. I have even switched off the audio analysis, although it does not affect the signal path.

Does Roon actually use RAAT as transport protocol to HQPlayer?

6 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Does Roon actually use RAAT as transport protocol to HQPlayer?

I don't know what Roon internally does. But HQPlayer knows nothing about RAAT. All HQPlayer handling is HQPlayer specific, there's nothing Roon specific. All the same things are available to all control clients.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

16 hours ago, Miska said:

This is for an old version on an old OS version, not applicable anymore.

If you use HQPlayer OS, you don't need to do anything of the above. You just write the USB stick, boot up from it and you are ready to go.

So miska if I install the HQPlayer OS, do I need any other dependencies? 
    Those who knows their way around Linux giving written instructions about the process, is still difficult to know the order of things, no fault to you. But for us who barely know how to work with windows- getting embedded is really difficult- I wish someone could put together a short video showing the process- I would even pay for it-  

I do appreciate all the information and help that’s provided.  
   Sam 

C.A.P. Pipeline, windows pro 10 > Roon > SOtM USB > Keces power supply > HDplex power supply > 4x2 HD Mini DSP > Ayre DSD QB-9 > Naim CDX > ModWright 9 S.E. Preamp > A21 Parasound Amplifier > Magnepan .7 > Augie's Dipole sub, ML sub, DIY sub > Dedicated room with acoustical treatment.

2 hours ago, shum3s said:

So miska if I install the HQPlayer OS, do I need any other dependencies? 
    Those who knows their way around Linux giving written instructions about the process, is still difficult to know the order of things, no fault to you. But for us who barely know how to work with windows- getting embedded is really difficult- I wish someone could put together a short video showing the process- I would even pay for it-  

I do appreciate all the information and help that’s provided.  
   Sam 

On HQPlayer OS there is nothing to install (it is the player and the OS all together), just burn the image on a usb key and boot the pc from it

On Ubuntu instead just follow the steps I wrote in my previous post

Stefano

My audio system

Ok! I will proceed with all this great info,and report back how it turns out. Appreciate the help. 
     Sam 

C.A.P. Pipeline, windows pro 10 > Roon > SOtM USB > Keces power supply > HDplex power supply > 4x2 HD Mini DSP > Ayre DSD QB-9 > Naim CDX > ModWright 9 S.E. Preamp > A21 Parasound Amplifier > Magnepan .7 > Augie's Dipole sub, ML sub, DIY sub > Dedicated room with acoustical treatment.

On 3/15/2024 at 11:24 AM, stefano_mbp said:

I recently installed HQPe on Ubuntu 22.04.

Only the last part of instructions is still relevant, you just need to use the last releases of libgmpris and hqplayerd.

In your setup it seems a upnp mediaserver is missing, it is mandatory in order to use JPlay for iOS 

wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/focal/libgmpris_2.2.1-8_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i libgmpris_2.2.1-8_amd64.deb

wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/focal/hqplayerd_4.25.1-83_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.25.1-83_amd64.deb

sudo apt install -f

sudo hqplayerd -s hqplayer hqplayer

sudo systemctl enable hqplayerd 

systemctl start hqplayerd

sudo systemctl status hqplayerd

Shouldn’t you be using jammy version?

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, Snakeoil OS NAA/NAA image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

On 4/25/2023 at 1:19 PM, Rovo said:

aaah, something I forgot. In Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS you can get an error like "... wait for network to be configured". This will last for 2 minutes. You can solve this by applying the following: 

sudo cp /etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml /etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml.org

sudo apt install nano

sudo nano /etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml

in this file for each network device add the line:

optional: true

save with CTRL+O and exit with CTRL+X

sudo netplan apply

Wow, I just saw this- applied it as instructed and now my boot time is <10sec.  No more 2 minute wait for network.

Thanks @Rovo!

Good day! I managed to burn the HQplayer OS. Everything went as expected (I was surprised) except when it came to imputing the login (HQPlayer) and password (password) nothing happens, the cursor keeps asking for the me to enter the information again. How do I fix this?  
     The other question, is it ok to pull the usb stick for rebooting? 
Also when I do get the player up and running, am I then able to setup minimserver as a render for JPLAY?  
   Sam 

48 minutes ago, shum3s said:

Good day! I managed to burn the HQplayer OS. Everything went as expected (I was surprised) except when it came to imputing the login (HQPlayer) and password (password) nothing happens, the cursor keeps asking for the me to enter the information again. How do I fix this?  
     The other question, is it ok to pull the usb stick for rebooting? 
Also when I do get the player up and running, am I then able to setup minimserver as a render for JPLAY?  
   Sam 

No need to login, just access the web interface from another pc/tablet/smartphone using http://hqplayer.local:8088 or http://ip-address-hqpe:8088

To reboot pulling the usb key is ok

You cannot install Minimserver on the same HQPe pc, you need another pc or nas

Stefano

My audio system

Got it! Man you sure know your stuff, CA and I are very fortunate to have you here. Thank you so much! I am sure I will have Moe questions, but I am starting to see the light😃

Sam 

Stefano If I am using SoTm-200 can I use Minimserver on it instead of a Nas? 

I’ve given up on using SoTm-200, could not get it to work. I will come back to it at a later time. In the mean time I am connecting directly usb to the dac.

I am trying to get HQPlayer Client 5 app streaming Qobuz. I am not getting audio, even though the cover art shows up in the OS. The OS sees my dac, but I am not sure if I have everything setup correctly. 
   Do you have any suggestions to what I am doing wrong? 
   Thanks, Sam

4 hours ago, shum3s said:

I am trying to get HQPlayer Client 5 app streaming Qobuz. I am not getting audio, even though the cover art shows up in the OS. The OS sees my dac, but I am not sure if I have everything setup correctly. 

Does the playback get started? Or fails to start? If it fails to start, it could be conflict between settings requesting certain output and what the requested filter/modulator allows.

It fails to play! On the monitor it saids “audio device cannot  find UCD. Miska do you have some settings I can try.  For what it’s worth when using the Desktop version I was upsampling to 256 using your default settings, modulator ASDM7EC Light. My DAC is a Topping 70D’s.  

10 minutes ago, shum3s said:

It fails to play! On the monitor it saids “audio device cannot  find UCD. Miska do you have some settings I can try.  For what it’s worth when using the Desktop version I was upsampling to 256 using your default settings, modulator ASDM7EC Light. My DAC is a Topping 70D’s.  

HQPlayer log file would likely tell what/why fails. On Embedded, there's nothing really relevant shown on the attached display.

I spent several hours trying to get it play with no success. I am going to re-flash and try again. 
    Once loaded is there any settings I need to change before playing a file?  
   Sam 

15 hours ago, shum3s said:

I spent several hours trying to get it play with no success. I am going to re-flash and try again. 
    Once loaded is there any settings I need to change before playing a file?  

You need to select your output device and possibly adjust some settings, based on the output device's capabilities.

Checking in one more time! The embedded OS is working great with JPlay IOS ( I was surprise) What I can’t figured out is why the convolution will not except the same left and right mono Wav files that I used in the desktop version.  The way I was able to export the files was by sending the two file to my email address, which I was able to open them up on my iPad to send them to my file folder.  Could that be why they are not working? Is there another way to get access to the audio files to Hq embedded ? 
  Thanks, Sam 

Ok I really messed up this time. I just bought the embedded version after 6 days of trial (many late nights trying to make it work) But when I bought the license, it asked for my signature key, I assumed it was my Desktop version (I did not know that the trial version came with it’s own) This is why now I think my embedded key will not work. 
    Miska I am very sorry to mess things up for you. What do we need to do to straighten this issue up. 
   Thanks Sam. 

10 hours ago, shum3s said:

Ok I really messed up this time. I just bought the embedded version after 6 days of trial (many late nights trying to make it work) But when I bought the license, it asked for my signature key, I assumed it was my Desktop version (I did not know that the trial version came with it’s own) This is why now I think my embedded key will not work. 
    Miska I am very sorry to mess things up for you. What do we need to do to straighten this issue up. 

Send email to the info or support address with your original license key and the correct fingerprint, and Aapo will update the license key for you.

13 hours ago, shum3s said:

The way I was able to export the files was by sending the two file to my email address, which I was able to open them up on my iPad to send them to my file folder.  Could that be why they are not working? Is there another way to get access to the audio files to Hq embedded ?

If you need to transfer files to your iPad, I recommend uploading files to your iCloud Drive and then you can directly access those from iPad. Alternatively you can also use AirDrop.

But what is the indication that the files are not accepted?