IGNORED

How To Install HQPlayer Embedded On Ubuntu

12 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

The key sequence is control-x then Yes

I also tried control-x and it would not work either.  Sorry didn’t mention that earlier. Anyway, I used control-o after with the samba .conf file- and it worked fine.  control-o seems to work like “save as” and it shows you the path first, you then press enter to save, then control-x to exit nano.  At least this is how I remember doing it last night.

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, Snakeoil OS NAA/NAA image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

Just now, cpcat said:

I also tried control-x and it would not work either.  Sorry didn’t mention that earlier. Anyway, I used control-o after with the samba .conf file- and it worked fine.  control-o seems to work like “save as” and it shows you the path first, you then press enter to save, then control-x to exit.  At least this is how I remember doing it last night.

Maybe you need to work as root:

type su root , enter (the root password should be asked) and then use nano

Stefano

My audio system

That is a good suggestion to try.  I can’t remember for sure whether I did sudo nano or just nano.  

The other thing I considered is that in the original instruction link Miska provided, the person who provided the link purged Netplan first -before editing the network file.  I was afraid to do that.

Do you think this (hostname recognition) is critical to do without Avahi?  It’s working now and I sort of just want to leave it alone. 😊 

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, Snakeoil OS NAA/NAA image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

You almost certainly didn't use sudo, which you have to do if you want to be able to save config file changes. That's usually safer than su to root.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Can anyone refresh my memory of how to set a password and username for hqplayer embedded?

"hqplayerd -s username password" does not appear to be working.

edit: after a bunch of tries and a bunch of reboots, it decided to work...

No electron left behind.

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Over8ed said:

Hello, hqplayer is setup, I'm able to login with no issues.  But, scanning in the library doesn't return any files, even though the path is correct.  Any suggestions?

What's the file format?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

OK, so that's not the problem. 🙂

3 hours ago, Over8ed said:

Hello, hqplayer is setup, I'm able to login with no issues.  But, scanning in the library doesn't return any files, even though the path is correct.  Any suggestions?

Does "hqplayer" user have at least read access rights to the library path?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

18 hours ago, Over8ed said:

Embedded or OS?  Where is your library located ?  

User rights for hqplayer, for example if library is on an NAS, must be provided on the NAS.

8 hours ago, cpcat said:

Embedded or OS?  Where is your library located ?  

User rights for hqplayer, for example if library is on an NAS, must be provided on the NAS.

Embedded.  The library is located on /home/my-name/music and on an external drive connected via USB.

21 minutes ago, Over8ed said:

Embedded.  The library is located on /home/my-name/music and on an external drive connected via USB.

A suggestion: Read about how to mount an external USB drive to the /mnt directory, and mount the USB drive at /mnt/your-name/music .  When you have confirmed that this works, you can *very carefully* read about and try automounting at boot.

Just wondering why you are doing this on Linux if you don't have Linux knowledge?

Deleted

1 hour ago, Over8ed said:

I am sure @Miska will comment, but for embedded (not HqpOS) to access a local library I found I needed to create a new directory in a root folder like /music - then you have to use chown command with root privileges to change ownership from root to your username, then move your library to that directory so hqplayer can access it.

And-if is on a USB you can try running /media from the library tab.  I have heard that this should work but can’t say I have done it with embedded.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

A suggestion: Read about how to mount an external USB drive to the /mnt directory, and mount the USB drive at /mnt/your-name/music .  When you have confirmed that this works, you can *very carefully* read about and try automounting at boot.

Just wondering why you are doing this on Linux if you don't have Linux knowledge?

I suppose I like learning new things.

1 hour ago, Over8ed said:

Your home folder is by default accessible only by you. Not by the "hqplayer" user the service runs as.

For example I have my music media mounted under /music and set to have suitable group access permissions.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

Your home folder is by default accessible only by you. Not by the "hqplayer" user the service runs as.

For example I have my music media mounted under /music and set to have suitable group access permissions.

Hey Miska, that makes sense, thanks for the info.  And thanks Jud, cpcat and others for helping a neophyte.  I should be able to take it from here.

33 minutes ago, Over8ed said:

I suppose I like learning new things.

Me too. 🙂 👍

OK, back to the music folder - see if the simple way of mounting it under /music works. If not, then try mounting the USB drive under /mnt and eventually automounting on boot.  Ask away if you have questions.

2 hours ago, Over8ed said:

5 minutes ago, Over8ed said:

Hey Miska, that makes sense, thanks for the info.  And thanks Jud, cpcat and others for helping a neophyte.  I should be able to take it from here.

The hardest thing for me was sharing the /music folder and making it visible on the local network so I could easily access/move files to it.  I used Samba for this, so now whenever I add to my library I can easily update all locations-NAS, local on Daphile PC, and local on hqplayer embedded PC.  I’m sure there are other ways to do it, but I like using windows file explorer and this worked for me.