IGNORED

SAWEEEET!! - List your cans & amps!

Silver,

Thanks for the input.

I hope you get an opportunity to listen to a Cavalli Liquid Fire Amp at some point. It kills the Red Wine. Also there is a big difference in the rev2 of the LC headphones. Incredible. I got rid of my Tesla T-1's over these.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Just purchased the Bowers & Wilkins C5 in ear headphones. I wish this iPhone control crap would just disappear, but other than that, rather happy with them. Listening at work to the DSOTM 24bit 96 kHz bluray rip. These are way more comfortable than my Grado SR-80i headphones!

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

In-ear monitors:

Etymotic HF5

Monster Miles Davis Tribute

__

Cans:

Sennheiser HD650

Sennheiser HD280pro

__

Amps:

Headroom Home Headphone Amplifer

Bel Canto C5i

______

I'm willing to sell the Headroom amp if anyone is interested. It's great, but I'm not using it because I'm listening to digital media through the Bel Canto.

At Home: 10x12 listening room -> Asus G74Sx laptop -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Bel Canto C5i integrated amplifier -> Audioquest Rocket 33 bi-wired speaker cables -> B&W CM9 speakers & B&W ASW10CM subwoofer. At Work: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Forest USB -> Rotel RA-1570 -> Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables -> Magnepan Mini System.

• 2 weeks later...

Grado SR-325is

Bought them today at lunch, have been listening to them pretty much non stop since mid afternoon.

I swear they are sounding better minute by minute. Feel much more comfortable than my SR-80i's, and no fatigue so far after about 6 hours of listening. Playing various albums from jRiver Media 16, through my Audinst DAC/Amp. Toyed with the idea of buying a hybrid tube desktop amp for my setup, but I really like what I am hearing with the built in amp of this little device.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Following up on the Cavalli, I've been wanting to have a dynamic system around, and with the announcement of the Audeze LCD3's, I picked up a Liquid Fire this weekend, and look forward to getting the LCD3's. Some (probably dynamic biased listeners :)) said this was the "best in show" combo at Canjam last week. Should be very interesting to hear their Liquid Lightning with the stat cans too.

You are going to love that setup. Congratulations! I am looking forward to a listen to the LC-3's.

The Liquid Lightning w/Stax would be interesting to listen to.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

• 1 month later...

PX100-IIs being by driven macbookpro 13" --> uDac2 --> fii0 E11 headlamp.

Am surprised - considering the cost or lack of - how good the PX100-IIs are.

Decent bass / mid / treble response at quite loud levels without any distortion.

The Fii0 E11 / PX100-II are really for iPhone listening, but for the moment, do well for bedroom listening with macbook - especially with audirvana plus playing 24 / 96 files.

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

Cans:

AKG-K702

Audio-Technica ATH-M50s

Grado SR-125

Formerly owned Grado RS1(I never cared for the tonal balance and sold them) and Sennehiser HD650 (Sounded Great but they fit too tight).

Amps:

ALO The Continental V2 Portable Tube Amp

Burson HA-160

Ray Samuels XP-7 with AD797

Ray Samuels The Hornet

Benchmark DAC1-USB

Over the years I have amassed a collection headphones and earphones, from ear buds that came with my first iPod to single driver IEMs with too much bass or too much treble. A box full of items I will most likely never use again. I still have my first set of serious headphones from 1992, the Koss ESP 9…something electrostatic stereo-phones with energizer/amp. I have noticed that over the past 6 years or so the sound quality of headphones and earphones has improved dramatically. I cannot recall that much improvement during the whole decade of the 1990s. Currently I use the following:

Home Headphone Listening: RudiStor RP010B-MkII balanced headphone amplifier, Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Grado GS1000i headphones w/J Money Audio lambskin headband, both modified with Moon Silver Dragon balanced XLR cables.

Office Headphone Listening: RudiStor RPX 303 Quadmomo Balanced Headphone amp, Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 headphones modified w/Moon Silver Dragon balanced XLR cables. For the digital source I use my MacBook Pro with a Firewire connection to a Weiss Minerva DAC, XLR connection to Boulder 865 Integrated Amplifier with Wilson Duet Speakers.

Travel System: MacBook Pro 15 w/SSD, Seagate Free Agent external HD, Amarra software, system setup for just music. I use a Firewire connection to an Apogee Duet, to Ray Samuels Emmeline XP-7 portable headphone amp, with external power supply, and Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 headphones. The XP-7 runs on batteries for traveling, or I can use the external power supply while in a hotel, also the XP-7 is a far superior headphone amp than the internal Apogee Duet amp (I have not auditioned the new Duet 2).

I often use custom in-ear earphones (or IEM) to close off the world like the Westone ES3X custom earphones, or my new Jerry Harvey Audio JH16 Pro custom earphones. For the IEMs I am now using the new Ray Samuels – The Shadow portable amp with digital volume control designed primarily for use with earphones.

A good pair of custom earphones will cost as much as any set of high end headphones, but the sound quality is worth it, especially if you listen to high res downloads. There is a downside: you cannot try them before purchasing, and you cannot say to a friend “try these,” or sell them to anyone else. I purchased mine from an audiologist who guarantees the proper fit and performance. Not every audiologist will supply audiophile quality earphones, but they will make ear molds. Oh, and I have had two lectures on the evils of excessive headphone and earphone usage, in language like I was a ten year old child.

I have discovered that for optimum performance with IEMs one needs just the right amp. The new multi-driver earphones are highly sensitive and require low impedance, low distortion amps with a very good volume control. Fortunately, quality portable earphone amps are starting to appear on the market.

I travel on business around 80 to 85 days each year, plus a well needed 6 week vacation with my children. I once calculated listening to headphones or earphones on planes, trains, boats, vehicles, and in hotel rooms for approximately 488 hours each year, possibly more. Last Christmas my daughter gave me a unique travel case for all my gear, which I am quite delighted with. It holds my MacBook Pro for music, a MacBook Pro 17. iPad 2, two hard drives, headphones, headphones amps and DAC, and an assortment of adapter cords. The Axio case http://axioluggage.com/music.html

I use the new Audio Technica w3000 anniversary headphone with an Eddie Current Zana Duex or an AKG K1000 with a Wavac MD 300 b or the JH Audio 3a set up with the Stello U3, or in a pinch JH13s and an iPhone.

BTW customs can be remolded and most companies have demo IEMs to allow prospective buyers to try before they buy.

I highly recommend the Pico Slim amp by Headamp for IEMs

I also use the Woo Audio Universal adjustable headphone stand. I have one double and one single. Solid aluminum, well built, heavy base, and stable. I saw the stand at an A/V store (not for sale), came home and ordered them online. The best headphone stands I have owned.

Most irritating is purchasing a stand, then hanging your cans, and the damn thing tips over. After several months of playing a balancing game, the stand will find a new home in the trash.

The most impressive headphone stand I ever saw was back in 2002 at a woodworking show somewhere outside Oxford in the UK. It was fabricated out of Coco Bola with a curved arm leading to an arched top hanging plate. The base was an oval shaped bowl for holding the cord and had a lid for covering the cord. An identical stand was available made with tiger maple. A unique and attractive Art Nouveau design, and I really wanted it. I thought the price tag said 40 pounds, but was mistaken, it was priced at 400 pounds sterling (like $640 at the time). When I attempted to negotiate (like I witnessed others doing), the man ripped me with a line of cockney slang which I still do not have a clue what he was saying, but I got the impression it was not pleasant. I have often thought of sketching the design from memory and have several stands custom made. However, I now have the Woo stand and it has proven to be quite adequate. I highly recommend the Woo universal adjustable headphone stand.

Headphones: Audez'e LCD-3s with Q-Audio cable; JVC DX-1000s

Headphone Amp: Leben CS300SX

DAC: AVA FET Valve DAC with 2 Tung Sol 6SN7 VT 231s (with adapters)

Diskless player: Logitech Touch with CI Audio VDC-SB PS

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

• 7 months later...
PX100-IIs being by driven macbookpro 13" --> uDac2 --> fii0 E11 headlamp.

Am surprised - considering the cost or lack of - how good the PX100-IIs are.

Decent bass / mid / treble response at quite loud levels without any distortion.

The Fii0 E11 / PX100-II are really for iPhone listening, but for the moment, do well for bedroom listening with macbook - especially with audirvana plus playing 24 / 96 files.

Updated:

CANS - Sennheiser HD 600s

AMP: Schitt Asgard

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

Sennheiser HD800

Sennheiser HD650

Sennheiser IE80 (IE800 on order)

Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2 (with Q-Cable)

Stax SR-009

JH-13pro

Violectric V800

Stax SRM-007t

Gear in my sig is pure bliss. Fantastic synergy.

Auralic Aries -> iFi iUSBPower -> Accuphase DP-720 -> Accuphase E-600 -> B&W 802 Diamond

Sennheiser HD800

Sennheiser HD650

Stax SR-009

JH-13pro

Violectric V800

Stax SRM-007t

What's the emoticon for envy? Specially the gear in the sig. ;)

As far as iems/full sizes, at the moment i use the FitEar To Go! 334.

Highly recommended, just plug it to any source and you're good to go.

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

Sennheiser HD800

Sennheiser HD650

Stax SR-009

JH-13pro

Violectric V800

Stax SRM-007t

With the SR-009 in the lineup, does the other cans get any head time?