IGNORED

SAWEEEET!! - List your cans & amps!

Audez'e LCD-2's yesterday. Macbook Pro with Decibel out to a Burson Audio HA-160D via USB and I am just loving it.

MacBook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Audez\'e LCD-2[br]Macbook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Emotiva UPA-2 -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1\'s

• 3 weeks later...

I have some denon 5000 and 7000, lcd2, Beyermeyer T1... And some more. When looking around for a good amp for the LCD2's, I bought a Volectric 180. It sounded pretty good, but too dry and solid state like with the LCD2s, but was astonishing with the Denon, finally something with enough power to rein in the bass an balance the sound. I really like them now (Denon) good bass instead of overwhelming bass. The Woo wa6 SE has the same power rating (as theVolectric) so I am assuming it will do the same thing to the LCD2 and Denon, but with some soul (I have a Fully upgraded Woo wa6, 4 times less power than the SE). The LCD2 sound simply spectacuar with the WA6, Denon's sound flabby, so ordered a WA6 SE. Anyway, high power seems to be the ticket with the Denon. JD

I have about 100 hours on my new Woo WA6 SE, it has all the upgrades and really does the LCD2s justice, they sound spectacular with the SE.

• 1 month later...

I have ended up with:

Cans:

Beyer DT 250

Beyer DT 1350

Stax 404

Stax 202

Amps:

BM DAC1

BM DAC1 HDR

Stax SRM 252

Stax SRM 007T

BM DAC1/HDR --> ATC SCM 100ASL[br]BM DAC1--> Genelec 8020/Beyer T70[br]Apogee Duet2 --> Stax 007T/404[br]Apogee Duet2 --> Genelec 6010A/Beyer DT1350[br]

Headphones: Grado SR80i, Sennheiser HD650

Amplifier: Marantz PM-15S2

CD-player/DAC: Marantz SA-15S2

Listening Room: ALIX.2D2 (Voyage MPD) --> Arcam rDAC --> Marantz PM-15S2 --> Quadral Wotan Mk V

Drinking Room: ALIX.2D2 --> M2Tech hiFace 2 --> Cambridge Audio Azur 740C --> Rotel RC-06/RB-06 --> B&W XT4

Home head-fi: Grado SR80i, Sennheiser HD 650

On the go head-fi: Sennheiser IE 8

The audioengine N-22 amp that I use has a very capable headphone amp and it works very well paired with the Sennheiser HD 595 (the rest of my office set up in in my signature). I'm really happy with my set-up (and use it for most of my critical listening) but spending too much time on this site has given me a case of upgraditis. I'm more interested in new cans than a new amp since I figure speakers are where you get the most sonic improvement. I'm thinking of either the AKG 702 or the Beyer DT880 pro (the 250 ohm version) and I'm curious as to what others think. If I were to upgrade my amp (sigh), I'm thinking either I should try out the Headroom microamp (I'd like to try out whether crossfeed helps or not and the three different gain settings should be helpful in getting the most out of your cans) or something with lots of pretty tubes. Any ideas are very welcome.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Grado SR-80i

Asus Transformer Android 3.1 Honeycomb Tablet

This tablet has a Wolfson WM8903 CODEC with a decent midrange DAC and solid amp. And, with Honeycomb OS 3.1, native file support for FLAC. Running a custom kernel with a custom sound driver (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1132875).

I am hoping the Android developer community comes up with driver support to output directly to USB for when I inevitably purchase a quality USB DAC.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

KingStyle, anybody else, looking for best cans across price range for rock and roll, specifically the Grateful Dead (straightforward rock band, with solid rhythm section and lead guitar solos on almost every song.)

Ex. HD > iMac > Duet > Creek 4330 > Epos ELS8 (Morrow SP1\'s). I want a system that cleanly plays live, lossless Grateful Dead.

Thanks, Chris. I keep hearing Grado's name mentioned for rock. I've even heard from a friend that he prefers their near-entry level RS80's ($99) over the Senn 650's ($450-ish) for rock. He owns both along with the Grado RS1's.

This would simplify a portion of CA for me as 99% of my listening time is spent with rock.

And I think my wife just got a new pair of used Sennheiser HD518's...

Ex. HD > iMac > Duet > Creek 4330 > Epos ELS8 (Morrow SP1\'s). I want a system that cleanly plays live, lossless Grateful Dead.

jivers, I wonder if for some Grado might be really comfortable. Maybe, due to differences in head shape, they'd find uncomfortable phones that you love?

I'm sure many people find them comfortable, as they've been around and popular for many years. I've also read lots of comments like mine about discomfort. I've got several Sennheisers, Audeze, Beyer, Denon, JH, Ety, Shure, but only the Grado's are uncomfortable to me. YMMV, as they say.

Lower end you cant beat the Grado or Alessandro.

Midfi, I do find the LCD2 to be good for rock. There will probably be a bunch of used one coming on the market for a decent price soon.

High end, you cant go wrong with the L3000. A great rock can. I have heard it quite a bit with rock.

Imac > Offramp4 > Ayon Skylla > Eddie Current B.A./Stax 717 > LCD-3/SR007 mk1