IGNORED

Investigation Into Effects Of PC load On DAC Analogue Output

37 minutes ago, Summit said:

I understand what you are saying, but if this would be 100% true people would not buy servers like Taiko Audio Extreme or use HQplayer. 

I’m always hesitant to use an “if then” statement involving why people purchase items. People purchase things in every category of consumer goods for many different reasons. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 minutes ago, plissken said:

Nope. What I'm saying is you can't ask me for my knowledge to fix a handful of network issues for members and then turn around and discount that same knowledge as 'inexperienced'.

It's like coming and asking you to perform some photography services, have you take something I took a run at in lightroom, and now have you fix it. And then in some other thread I'm questioning your photography chops.

Chris, I'm not a photographer and you're not a systems architecture and network engineer.

I never discount your knowledge when it’s in your wheelhouse. Everyone has a limit to their knowledge. Understanding that limit is key. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Why? As long as everything remained bit-identical, which it did, it should be irrelevant.

Indeed, I had originally intended to use my USB DAC. But at some point Mans insisted that we needed to capture the digital input to the DAC in real time during the ABX (something I came around to agreeing with). I couldn't figure out a way to do this with the USB DAC I had, so we agreed that we'd use an spdif DAC instead.

In retrospect, I wish we hadn't used the DAC we did. But it was the only one I had to hand with an spdif input. If I were to repeat the test today, I'd use my RME ADI-2, and capture its spdif output to ensure everything remained bit-identical.

Does this totally negate the test? I don't think so. We proved (to a 99% probability) that bit-identical playback can sound different... which was the aim, after all.

I later proved that it was the Tascam's auto-start function.

Where did you get 150ms from?

This had no bearing on the ABX whatsoever.

Sorry Paul, I think you're throwing around a lot of red herrings. But I do agree that we should have chosen a DAC less susceptible to the effects of jitter.

Seems like it could all be duplicated by anyone. That’s kind of how science works.