IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

25 minutes ago, zettelsm said:

In my case when I compared the stock DAVE to the Bartok I much preferred the dCS. And when I compared the DAVE to the Rossini and then Vivaldi it was no contest -- to *my* ears. YMMV obviously.

Thanks for sharing Steve. I completely agree with you. I loved the Bartok, loved it. I would take the stock Bartok over the stock Dave any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. I wrote up an extensive post detailing my experience on Headfi. It is the Dave-based system that I am so enthusiastic about. PGGB seems like another instance where Dave’s fundamental architecture is leveraged to produce some wonderful results. I would love to hear more of how PGGB likewise transforms other platforms like dCS and Denafrips(32fs)!

As it is, right now, I have a few hundred files baking in the PGGB oven! 

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to add that I’ve been using the new version since it was released, and if I’m not mistaken, I am getting faster processing times. 

I’m just on a MacBook Pro/Bootcamp 16Gb Ram for PGGB. So, I’ve been tossing about the idea of building a dedicated machine. There were times when the progress bar on PGGB would just stop in place for a couple minutes (probably b/c my low RAM I imagine).

I know you shouldn’t watch the progress bar. It’s like watching paint dry or a pot full of water waiting to boil. But, since the new build I happily take glances to see it churning right along. 

ZB, is the new build a bit faster, or is the difference just other changes in what I’m processing? If the code has been tightened, can we expect little bumps in processing efficiency over the course of future updates? 

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Taking 

7 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I use both.  HQPlayer is an awesome real time solution.  But for the music I love, paying for extra disc space to store processed files was one of my best moves.  I’m not sure which filters you consider to be “better” in HQPlayer, but I’ve yet find one that comes close to PGGB.

Ironically at this moment my computer is slowly copying PGGB files to a micro sd card.  I’ve filled one and plan to purchase a few more later today.  A headphone and headphone cable upgrade has brought new life to my PolyMojo and these files sound amazing.  

I find it interesting that you didn’t frame your argument in terms of how much HQPlayer improves the sound of your music.  

I know your pain and joy. I transfer PGGB files onto a 1TB sd card and it is painful. But, yes, it is worth every bit of the effort. These files on my Hugo2/2Go shock me every time as to what can be accomplished from portable. 

Of course my full Dave system outclasses it in every way, but I know what levels the field to any extent is that both share the same high quality upscaling. 

I don’t know if this was addressed before, but do those of you using Dave, engage its HF filter with PGGB 16fs files?

I had it turned off as I assumed it wasn’t necessary since PGGB has its own HF filter. However, I’ve been experimenting and enabling it has a positive effect. To my ears, it seems to be cleaning up some out of band noise coming from somewhere.