IGNORED

Daily Blues

More contemporary (that I like but maybe not as much as the classic stuff): latest from long time contemporary Chicago player

Joanna Connor: 4801 South Indiana Avenue

joannaconnor-4801southindianaavenue.jpg.723e7ebbfdb226bfc00bd17cb286bc46.jpg

“We chose the album title ‘4801 South Indiana Avenue’ because it was the actual street address of the hallowed funky blues sanctuary ‘Theresa’s Lounge.’ We want the listener to open that door, walk in and feel to their core some of the magic that a place like that brought night after night. It was an honor to bring this to you, the listener.”

Let's see...Chicago... does John Primer count as contemporary?

"John Primer (born March 5, 1945, Camden, Mississippi, United States) is an American Chicago blues and electric blues singer and guitarist who played behind Junior Wells in the house band at Theresa's Lounge and as a member of the bands of Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters and Magic Slim before launching an award-winning career as a front man, carrying forward the traditional Windy City sound into the 21st century."

from a 2020 album:

pretty old school sound.

...speaking of Chicago, what do these folks think of the future of the blues?

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2021/03/11/ae/chicago-blues-musicians-listeners-have-hope-for-the-genres-future/

How about Buddy Guy? Still alive. Contemporary? This guy should know something about the scene:

https://www.npr.org/2015/08/03/427728963/buddy-guy-i-worry-about-the-future-of-blues-music

This classic performance from the past still sounds very alive and present to me and I'd trade a bunch of contemporary recordings to just have access to music like this:

Listened to “Leaving Town Blues” this afternoon and thought of this thread.

Off “Jumping At Shadows - The Blues Years [Disc 2]” [info: recording (Unissued Version) Session for Radio 1 'Top Gear' Recorded at the Playhouse Theatre, London. First broadcast on May 23, 1970]

Bonus - a nice “reflection” [on Peter Green] by Rory Gallagher:

imo a really important topic wrt evolution of and integrity of music [cf. Trains!] – could spend my whole life here but better not …

1 hour ago, Iving said:

Listened to “Leaving Town Blues” this afternoon and thought of this thread.

Off “Jumping At Shadows - The Blues Years [Disc 2]” [info: recording (Unissued Version) Session for Radio 1 'Top Gear' Recorded at the Playhouse Theatre, London. First broadcast on May 23, 1970]

Bonus - a nice “reflection” [on Peter Green] by Rory Gallagher:

imo a really important topic wrt evolution of and integrity of music [cf. Trains!] – could spend my whole life here but better not …

Welcome back to the lving! Evolution and integrity of the music: nice way of putting it, thanks.