IGNORED

Daily Blues

1 hour ago, Iving said:

You Don't Love Me Blues - T-Bone Walker (1945)

Jump Blues! You've tapped a big vein! Could easily fill a long thread by itself. Dance music, fun music, often with playful double-entendres, a blend of emerging urban blues and big band jazz, swing, boogie-woogie, big in 40s-50s, big influence on emerging rock and roll. My parents loved this stuff.

1949: Saturday Night Fish Fry - Louis Jordan & his Tympany Five

too bad Seasick Steve was such a fraud. Sometimes his sound was really raw in a good way, sometimes an empty shell. He fooled a lot of people, including me ( and maybe JPJ).

So, this post was spot on, no problem.  Cigar box variations.  Thanks.

Does it matter that he was a fraud?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/sep/29/seasick-steve-session-musician-ramblin-man-book

something about subjectivity and its significance is involved. I can barely listen to this. What does that mean? I don't care, **** him.

☠️

but he's just a musician trying to get on. Nobody wants to suffer. Everyone wants to be happy. The guy got lost in some kind of unhealthy ambition, maybe.

Just a imho for conversation's sake. Not trying to be right or anything. Posted on ASR first time in donkey's yesterday. New Thread "Music is Dead". Boils down to whether there's some kind of Golden Age (music of the past was actually better in some way) vs. Grumpy Grandad (you carry on loving the music you tuned in to as a teenager). Tracing over the years "Going Down" [Don Nix] informative to my brain and ears. I'd rather take a walk in the country than in the city any day. My personal arguments in favour of Golden Age include that I used to listen to music "before my time" when I was a teenager unlike my friends/peers - plus I appreciate era-congruent music I've never heard. I know these aren't unassailable arguments. The Tracy Conover performance is not the most polished - but well worth a listen all the way thru - especially if, like me, you have a good system!

Moloch (1969)

Freddie King (1971)

Chicken Shack (1972)

Jeff Beck Group (1972) [NB: Cozy Powell]

John Lee Hooker (1973)

Deep Purple (1976)

Luther Allison (1977)

Dutch Mason Blues Band (1979)

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jeff Beck (1989)

Dr Feelgood (1991)

Peter Green Splinter Group (1997) [NB: Cozy Powell again]

Sonic Flower (2003)

Tracy Conover (2004)

Nine Below Zero (2004)

Quireboys (2017)

Fun Lovin' Criminal (2019)

11 hours ago, Iving said:

Tracing over the years "Going Down" [Don Nix] informative to my brain and ears.

Great post, thanks. Will take time to digest. Just finished sampling around 50 recordings of Hard Times Killing Floor. Skip James Vanguard performance may still be my favorite, but the exploration is a learning process.  Freddie King's Going Down hasn't lost anything over time.  Jeff Beck plays the hell out of it as well. But still am curious about  some of the others.

Masters Of Reality "Ants In The Kitchen" "Goin' Down" (Live At The Viper Room)