IGNORED

Grateful Dead - the Most Overrated Band Ever?

Is a great single malt Scotch whiskey overrated? No, but it most often is not appreciated when first introduced to the palate. 

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

11 minutes ago, rwwjr44 said:

Is a great single malt Scotch whiskey overrated? No, but it most often is not appreciated when first introduced to the palate. 

The better analogy would be if someone started a thread about "Single Malt XXX" being over-rated. I can think of a few that would qualify.

Single malt is not necessarily equal to good or best. That's one of the reasons blends were invented. 

IMHO, there are even some good blends that are superior to many single malts, if taste is your essential criterion.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I have a strict testing regime when it comes to Scotch. I'm trying to find one I don't like.

BTW: with regards to GD, I was born in the 50s, remember what I was doing when Kennedy was shot, registered for the draft, etc....and (I) think the Dead suck. Still. Is that too harsh?

Not everyone in the 60s/70s was tuned in to rock. Many folks were feeling the social messaging of Marvin Gaye, Funkadelic and groups of that vibe. I sure was.

I grew up in a mid-size city NE US and my reality was so removed from what I perceived the Dead to be about it was completely alien. Un-relateable. At least to me/then...maybe still, I guess.

20A7BC73-980E-49CD-9F2F-D88564C6EEC7.jpeg

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

5 hours ago, rwwjr44 said:

The better analogy would be if someone started a thread about licorice.  Ask Jerry.

6 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

I have a strict testing regime when it comes to Scotch. I'm trying to find one I don't like

Boy, that picture shows you aren't kidding. Impressive.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

9 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

I grew up in a mid-size city NE US and my reality was so removed from what I perceived the Dead to be about it was completely alien. Un-relateable. At least to me/then...maybe still, I guess.

I grew up in Europe which could possibly make the whole process of relating to the GD phenomenon even more difficult. I've gone through the half of the 4h long (nomen omen) 'Long Slow Trip' documentary and I think I have a better understanding of the whole thing than ever (the second half should add to it at least a little bit), yet still their music (just like I foresaw it earlier here) just doesn't touch me. I only quite(!) liked the opening credits blues (I'm much more open to blues than country) - but IMO it also was nothing special. Seems that in general I'm not interested in country related music, that's simply not my thing, sorry. I have no problem with relating to eg Hendrix and J. Joplin - but they both were much more based in blues of course. Actually what I have seen so far in this doc  would rather confirm my view of GD as a half amateur band, on a couple of levels actually - from their instrumental technique to their inability to record in a really professional fashion, really interesting material in a studio. I am also still not convinced by theories saying - they were mostly a fantastic live band, for me they weren't - IMO they were just really loved and adored by their fans with whom they were able to create a quite amazing, friendly, relaxed atmosphere during the concerts, without the usual division 'we are the stars and you are our audience', rather kind of - we all are more like people of the same kind, friends, maybe almost like a family. This is all very nice and fantastic on many levels but on the level which is the most important for me in the whole thing, which is simply music - it's still like I said not convincing.. 

And so..

9 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

(I) think the Dead suck. Still. Is that too harsh?

For me - no, it is not.

Just please don't take it personally, guys, it is not meant to be taken in such way.

• 1 year later...