IGNORED

Grateful Dead - the Most Overrated Band Ever?

The Grateful Dead played at Woodstock, which automatically lifts their mythology to something larger than life.

The people that followed them around in the 80s had some of the best LSD available in the U.S. (I'm told 🙂 )

Pretty much all their songs sounded alike.  Oh, and they had an MTV hit.

That's The Dead for me.

2 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

The people that followed them around in the 80s had some of the best LSD available in the U.S. (I'm told 🙂 )

Think I can understand deadheads in this regard :)

2 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Oh, and they had an MTV hit.

Which was their hit?

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Most overrated of all time? Clearly not.

Who was more overrated than them then in your opinion, if I may ask?

Having that kind of long running relationship with your audience - especially not a small audience - counts for a lot.

There are more bands like this, even in my home country, as it happens I don't like any of them, for me it's a kind of 'fireside' aspect @Jud was talking about:

45 minutes ago, Jud said:

If you approach them as friends around the fireside playing for fun on a cold and lonely evening, I think it helps get into the proper frame of mind.

As a big Jazz fan, I find the Dead's improv-jamming a bit second rate.

Same here, for me it's a kind of improvisation which when I hear it I think 'I could play that!' and believe me - it's not a good thing! x-D

4 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Seems I was right - I could play this but I'd assume the average age of a listener would be 6, maybe 7..9_9

(anyway IMO advertising joints to 6-7 yo kids isn't a good idea x-D)

The MTV era was a double edged sword to the record labels.  This video is nothing more than an attempt to cash in on the Dead with the teens and 20 somethings.  Some existing artists (like Michael Jackson) thrived in the MTV-all-that-matters-is-how-you-look culture, others struggled (unnecessarily IMHO) to even remain relevant. 

Never 'got' them when I was sober, and if I was on drugs (speaking hypothetically and past tense) they would be the LAST band I would want to hear. Fascinating history though, some good, some really dark. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

47 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

May I humbly recommend a wee documentary?

A risky thing - after seeing 'Billie Eilish - the World is a Little Blurry' doc couple of days ago I had come to the conclusion (not my music, I hate such sound, anyway read on..) that she's more talented than Clapton and the Dead taken together - I really don't think I am ready to change my mind ;)

(but I'll give again after many years at least a quick listen to both albums mentioned by you and Jud which are widely regarded as the deadest Dead..).

Undeadly :)

Sphinxsix 

1 hour ago, NOMBEDES said:

I never got the Dead.

I not only don't get the Dead but I also don't get how can anyone get them..

Trying to understand and for now the 'fireside theory' seems to me the most convincing one to me B|

So I don't see a point to the OP's Post.

I mean you could make any "I don't think X (Clapton) is that great.......or the Y (Dead) is overrated" statement and get clicks.

The solution to your problem is pretty simple, my friend, just don't click on this thread :)

I've just checked out for the first time in years 'Ripple' and a handful of other songs from 'American Beauty'. The first reflection - I'm not a fan of country music at all, one of the things that turns me off in GD are its elements in what they did. For me it's - either we are rockers or cowboys. 

That is unless of course we are Leningrad Cowboys..;)

I also find the idea of 'acid cowboys' slightly weird..

2 hours ago, Mayfair said:

Like the best of The Band, or Dylan, the best of their songs could have been written 250 years ago, they could have been written 25 years ago, but they could only have been written in America.

The Band was formed in Toronto in 1967, Originally four Canadians and one American.

11 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

A couple off the top of my head from the same era: The Moody Blues, Love. Love put out a few OK albums, IMO, and gets put on the lists of best albums of all time. There are lots of others.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

11 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

There are more bands like this, even in my home country

Yes, but the Dead have a worldwide audience like that - and a very big one. Also multi-generational. How many bands do you know like that? There aren't a lot.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, firedog said:
18 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

A couple off the top of my head from the same era: The Moody Blues, Love.

None of them IMO had a cult following similar to GD. That was exactly the reason why I chose GD as IMO most overrated one, of course beside my attitude to their music which in its essence I had described above.