IGNORED

Music server/streamer with best optical toslink output

I’ve come back around to this topic again.  Reason being that I’m still finding the Matrix x-spdif 2 via spdif to the Chord qutest to sound better than USB.

Anyone found a DDC better than the x-spdif 2?

I am quite interested in the Denafrips Gaia, Gustard U18 and the Audiophileo (old product, but still good?).

Would be interested to hear if people have experience with these, and if there is now something better than x-spdif 2…

1 hour ago, Gavin1977 said:

I’ve come back around to this topic again.  Reason being that I’m still finding the Matrix x-spdif 2 via spdif to the Chord qutest to sound better than USB.

Anyone found a DDC better than the x-spdif 2?

I am quite interested in the Denafrips Gaia, Gustard U18 and the Audiophileo (old product, but still good?).

Would be interested to hear if people have experience with these, and if there is now something better than x-spdif 2…

In the PGGB thread, DDC preference is given to the SRC-DX (double BNC) for use with Chord DAC's vs the USB input. In the past year I had a Denafrips Iris which was technically better with a Metrum Octave but not that much different than the USB input on a Chord Mojo so sold it. I have the SRC-DX now, much happier with it regardless of whether I use the Chord Mojo or Metrum Octave for SPDIF input.  BNC cable quality will matter.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Although I come from a different angle, my conclusion is the same: “disconnecting” the server from dac by optical connection (in my case spdif) can result in great sound. In my system the Denafrips Iris’ optical out was the best sounding connection. 

Makes me wonder if different optical cables make any difference. 

4 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

Although I come from a different angle, my conclusion is the same: “disconnecting” the server from dac by optical connection (in my case spdif) can result in great sound. In my system the Denafrips Iris’ optical out was the best sounding connection. 

Makes me wonder if different optical cables make any difference. 

They do - it’s very slight, maybe only 1-3% but you get better transient snap / more focused presentation.  I compared Atlas Optical cable with the free one included with the qutest.  I could hear the difference, but this is the very last thing you buy/icing on the cake.

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

If your pockets are deep, there’s always the Innuos Phoenix 🤑

I have owned the Phoenix, and have a potential review to write up about it.

All of these DDC’s benefit from a clean USB signal and clean power, it’s an extra layer of digital hygiene, so I will still be daisy chaining.

With chord DACs you are best bypassing USB however.

So, anyone found anything better than x-spdif 2?

This is my setup;

DIY Music server with Euphony > MATRIX ELEMENT H USB 3.0 Controller PCIe Femtoclock Crystek Powerd with HDPLEX 300W Linear Power Supply 9 volt > IFI idefender+ Powerd withHDPLEX 300W different rail 5 volt >  Wireworld Starlight 8 USB 3.0 cable >  IFI iGalvanic USB 3.0 > Uptone USPCB A>B Adapter Matrix X-Spdif2 > I2s out to Topping D90.

So yes, daisy chaining works very good.

Especially cutting the power from the usb-card with IFI idefender+ and feed it from there with another clean power rail was very revealing.

It made everything shine.

3 hours ago, Billgates307 said:

This is my setup;

DIY Music server with Euphony > MATRIX ELEMENT H USB 3.0 Controller PCIe Femtoclock Crystek Powerd with HDPLEX 300W Linear Power Supply 9 volt > IFI idefender+ Powerd withHDPLEX 300W different rail 5 volt >  Wireworld Starlight 8 USB 3.0 cable >  IFI iGalvanic USB 3.0 > Uptone USPCB A>B Adapter Matrix X-Spdif2 > I2s out to Topping D90.

So yes, daisy chaining works very good.

Especially cutting the power from the usb-card with IFI idefender+ and feed it from there with another clean power rail was very revealing.

It made everything shine.

Similar set up to me....

Research (searching various forums) has uncovered the following:

Denafrips Gaia (potentially with Terra Clock, apparently the Gaia is only 60% of the performance without external clock or clock from Temrinator Plus) and Audio-gd DI-20HE seem to be the pick of the crop DDC's.

Gustard U18 seems to be second best, also external C16 clock option.

Topping U90, Gustard U16 etc... are probably a similar level as the x-spdif 2 (they use the same clocks).

Will post more as as I go....

52 minutes ago, Savolax said:

One option to consider: Singxer SU-2 with SOtM sCLK-EX clock board modification. Use best LPS you wish and can afford.

I have the previous model SU-1 with such upgrade fed with JCAT USB XE 🎶

Good suggestion.

Did SotM ever release the measured phase plots for the sCLK-EX?

Present SOTA - will be either Matrix Audio x-spdif2 (as I have already), or the Singxer SU-6.  Singxer SU-6 is currently the best measuring DDC according to GoldenOne.  A guy on HeadFi owned an x-spdif2 and tested back to back against the SU-6 and just very slighty preferred the SU-6.  Mutec, Gaia, DI20HE etc... are all behind the SU-6.

Accusilion 318-B in the x-spdif-2 and the Crytek clock used in the SU-6 are very similar with regards to performance (whilst acknowledging that implementation will differ and will affect perfromance).

However, if the x-spdif 2 is powered (like my setup) from a very good linear then it's performance may well exceed that of the SU-6.  However SU-6 is likely to be the best stand alone DDC, since it has a very good built in power supply.

I'm tempted to try the SU-6 at some point, but am in not rush since I have x-spdif2.

Case closed for the moment....

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Billgates307 said:

How do you power those beauty’s? With lps?

It sounds pretty good using motherboard usb on my rig to be honest, but I prefer powering it via a USB A to DC Jack cable from my JCAT USB XE... JCAT USB XE has two USB outputs. 

However, I find it best to use the two USB outputs to power my DAC (Chord qutest) and DDC (XSPDIF2)... this has more of an impact than powering the Opto-USB cleanly.

Just got to be careful on the amps, JCAT can only give so much....

• 3 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 9:47 PM, matthias said:

You would need a PCIe card with toslink output.

The two guys I would ask are @Miska and Emile Bok from Taiko Audio.

Matt

Does the particular PCIe card with optical output matter much, if at all in regards to the "quality" of the digital optical output? 

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

9 hours ago, phusis said:

Does the particular PCIe card with optical output matter much, if at all in regards to the "quality" of the digital optical output? 

YES - for example, Pink Faun ultra-clocked spdif card sounds WAY better than a motherboards toslink.

4 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

YES - for example, Pink Faun ultra-clocked spdif card sounds WAY better than a motherboards toslink.

Thanks. With a point of reference like the Pink Faun mentioned I was thinking more along the line of PCIe cards with optical output from ASUS and others, like the Xonar AE. I take it what makes the most notable difference here is the clocks offered? 

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

EDIT: it would seem the Pink Faun cards don't offer optical output, which makes them kind of moot in my particular context being that optical out is the primary focus (not least with the intention to keep PC server noise from entering the DAC/preamp).