IGNORED

Archimago on Greene vs Harley

Archimago/Greene/Harley  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

"Good enough" is often all we can do. And Mr. Greene and Archimago appear to be all about trying to figure out what that "good enough" really is.

It seems Greene thinks electronics in general is 'good enough'. Fair enough for him, that's based on his experience. My own experience differs - to me, not all DACs are 'good enough'. So I must disagree - electronics quality IME affects how much sense is able to be made from reproduced music. When recordings make more sense the enjoyment level rises considerably.

In terms of 'objectivity' its clear Greene sets up a straw man about 'soundstage'. He says :

This idea of evaluating everything in terms of soundstage is potentially a major source of confusion.

I've not seen any argument from any reviewer or audiophile where everything's evaluated in terms of soundstage. But if anyone has a link for an example, I'm game to read it.

Just now, pkane2001 said:

Are you able to show any evidence that a swap of a power cord can make more of an audible difference (assuming both are functional, of course!) than swapping say, speakers or headphones?

I'm not at all interested in the question as its about 'audible differences'. To me they're a distraction.

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

That, of course, is fine. But then you are disagreeing with Greene, Harley, and Archimago, since they all seem to think that there's a way to predict how much satisfaction an audio device will give to another user.

I haven't read Harley all the way through and only skimmed Archimago. I'm fine with that conclusion - seems then they are all over-confident in their views.

Going back to Greene's apparent lacuna on 'soundstage' for a moment. After stating his straw man he says this :

Since no one has any idea of what kind of soundstage ought to arise from most recordings, soundstage is not really a sensible criterion for evaluation of anything.

Hmm, dismissive over-much? In the course of my DAC development in the past week or so I've uncovered (in the limited context of multibit DAC design) something objective that appears to affect soundstage. That is - noise in the analog stage after the DAC chip. I'm using a passive filter followed by an opamp (which can't be a virtual ground because of the preceding filter). The opamp introduces noise as far as I can ascertain beneath the dither level of RBCD (-93dB) but a lower noise-gain circuit using the same opamp makes the soundstage bigger. I don't though have any evidence that the soundstage is clearer and larger beyond that of my own ears.

3 hours ago, semente said:

It must be taken into account that Greene's comments are entirely concerned with the reproduction of classical music.

And, as most people know, you can only achieve a reasonably realistic soundstage using minimalist mic'ing. But even that depends on the mic technique use (spaced vs. near-coincident) and the distance of mics to sources.

I agree - my diet is overwhelmingly of classical music and hence my comments were made in that context. I tend to gravitate towards the more minimally mic'd recordings too.

5 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Any design process that relies solely on listening tests is doomed to fail. If we just listen, redesign, and then repeat, we fail to identify the root cause of the defect and we never approach perfection.

Since you identify the above as 'your philosophy' @pkane2001 is the 'redesign' here purely random or guided in some way by the result of the listening test?

Wait. What you quoted isn't my philosophy. That's what Benchmark said is wrong with just using listening tests during a design, and I agree.

You quoted Benchmark and said they cover your philosophy. That's what I quoted, your quote of them.

So when you agree with them in characterizing that process as 'wrong' I'm curious about the details of that purportedly 'wrong' process? To agree with them surely you must know what process they're talking about here?

I'm having trouble parsing your last sentence 'by random trial/error'. So  I take it the answer to my question is 'its random' in which case I agree and I think their process is probably just a strawman. After all, you quoted their marketing materials right?

<later> I see you've edited and my conjecture was correct. Thanks.

So do you think that's what I'm doing also?

If your question is 'Do I think you're trying to paint your own products in the best light by marketing them using strawmen?' then the answer's definitely a 'no'. I'm not even clear if you've got stuff to sell.

I rather suspect we're talking at crossed-purposes here. I've been focussing on what process Benchmark wish to discredit in their marketing. You've been talking about what your own philosophy is. Two rather different focusses no?

I'm interested in what Benchmark have to say about development using listening tests because in the past I had the pleasure of working with a guy who did (pro) audio design/development using an ABX box he built himself. Here's one of his posts on Gearslutz (the second post on this page) : https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/542885-paul-frindle-truth-myth-4-print.html

4 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

You disagree that sound is a physical phenomenon? Sorry,  but in every science textbook I've seen sound is never defined as what a human perceives, it is indeed vibrations or waves propagating in a medium.

Well bully for the textbooks! I guess those are physics textbooks in the main where they're not interested in perception. But if you were to get some textbooks on perception you might find them making distinctions between what impinges on the ear and what impinges on consciousness.

Hmm, no, audio is not about perception. It's about sound reproduction.

That's your perspective, I disagree as explained. Sound reproduction cannot take place in the absence of perception.

I think definitions and semantics are very important to get right. 'Semantics' is about meanings and so the meanings are indeed the substance of what's being discussed.

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

You both are missing the fact that I specifically described the context that I used the word 'sound' in. 

So you say. Yet there is a very real disagreement here between us.

You claim that audio isn't about perception, I claim that perception is a very important aspect of audio. Perception is important not just in the perception of waves to form sound, but also in the marketing of products which we use to create those waves in the air. Perception of their value, capabilities most certainly impinges on how the listener perceives the final sound.