IGNORED

New microRendu v1.5

http://www.sonore.us/microRendu.html

https://forums.sonicorbiter.com/forum/support-for-sonore-products/announcements/487-introducing-sonore-microrendu-v1-5#post502

@vortecjr

What can you tell us about the new microRendu v1.5

Is there an new clock inside ? Same as in version 1.4 ?

• Improved two power converters and their associated capacitors (v1.5 only)
  • Improved the clock buffer to one used in opticalRendu (v1.5 only)
  • Improved the USB A jack to the through hole one used in other Rendu boards (v1.5 only)
  • Black enclosure with v1.5 silkscreened on the faceplate (v1.5 only)

$399 - amazing price! 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Well, we need a confirmation if it’s using same clock as the rest of the Rendus. The Crystek CCHD-575 at a costs of $1

Yes, but consider the original Rendu was $675, the 1.4 upgrade something like $225, so at $399 no matter which Crystek it's using it's a great bargain if it sounds better than 1.4. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

3 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

no matter which Crystek

Actually that’s the whole point. It’s the only thing that matter. So if the 1.5 isn’t using same clock as 1.4, I would say it’s probably a step back. 

I bet this product goes $399 with a LPS power and free shipping on Black Friday, and is addressing those that’s upgrade from a direct PC to DAC, to their first endpoint. (An expected good step up for most). 
Probably compete with some Pii and similar as well.

With a Crystek CCHD-575 it would be fantastic, but it’s not advertising with a clock upgrade, so it’s highly likely 1.5 is much closer to 1.3, than 1.4.  

Adding an ISOregen after will lift SQ. 

It did on 1.3. 

Out of 4 listed improvement, only 2 first may affect SQ. 

6 hours ago, MagnusH said:

I am pretty sure its the Crystek 575 clock in it

And I’m pretty sure it isn’t. 

it would not make sense to use anything else.

To us, but not to Sonore. Cause then no one would buy the ultraRendu. 

Having said that, why didn't they brag about it. "Crystek femto-clock with ultra-low phase noise" sounds good after all.

Exactly!

Cause there isn’t one. 

So we should make that the final conclusion. No presence of a Crystek CCHD-575 in version 1.5. 

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

To us, but not to Sonore. Cause then no one would buy the ultraRendu. 

You might be correct! From a technical price/performance viewpoint, the Crystek 575 or the best NDK (which is about $6) would be best, unless something new has come up which is even better. 

But once you consider marketing and existing products, all bets are off. A microRendu for $399 with good clock and good power does sound very good (I know, I have one myself) and would lower the price/performance of both ultraRendu and opticalRendu

But lets see if we can get a comment? Paging @barrows @vortecjr

I do not know anymore about this product than what is posted in this thread.  I suggest the best way to get a response from Jesus is to ask at the sonic orbiter forums.  I have not seen a mR 1.5 myself.

Note, the opticalRendu, and Signature Rendu SEoptical have 2 internal 575 Femto clocks... and many more ultra low noise linear regulation stages, additional isolation, and of course the optical interfacing.

But it sure looks to me like the mR 1.5 is going to be the high value winner, even with a Sonore Power Supply added in!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 1 month later...

I probably have one of the first ones in the “wild.” I had damaged an original micro and Jesus was kind enough to “fix” it with the new board. I posted about this on the Sonore forum.

The new board sounds fabulous. Smooth, musical, absolutely no downsides to my ears. This is on the “small” system in my den: Denon 4250 driving B&W 805s. My big system is pure 2ch Bryston high end stuff driving 801 Nautilus’ fed by an Yggy and Rendu SE. The micro acquits itself very well against the bigger setup. And both sound great to me.

I would highly recommend the 1.5. Seems like a really good value and option. Obviously ymmv!

It's a great value. Of course it's totally tanked my mR 1.4's value. 😅But it's doing duty now running the Bridge app while the demo opticalRendu Roon lite I got for a steal is doing the heavy lifting on the main system. Glad they have a value option to bring more people into their excellent brand. 

42 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

It's a great value. Of course it's totally tanked my mR 1.4's value. 😅But it's doing duty now running the Bridge app while the demo opticalRendu Roon lite I got for a steal is doing the heavy lifting on the main system. Glad they have a value option to bring more people into their excellent brand. 

But does it sound better than 1.4? The lack of a quality clock makes me somewhat doubtful of how it sounds (but I haven't heard it so its speculation).

49 minutes ago, MagnusH said:

But does it sound better than 1.4? The lack of a quality clock makes me somewhat doubtful of how it sounds (but I haven't heard it so its speculation).

I have not made a direct comparison between the 1.4 and 1.5, but I would highly doubt the 1.5 would sound better than the (limited edition) 1.4.  The 1.4 version was a big step better than the original µR.

The 1.4 should hold its value, I know I am keeping mine (used in my bedroom system)!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 12:46 PM, barrows said:

I have not made a direct comparison between the 1.4 and 1.5, but I would highly doubt the 1.5 would sound better than the (limited edition) 1.4.

That may be a solid logical conclusion. It may even be absolutely correct. But since it is conjecture, we still don't really know, do we?

Is there no one that has direct experience with both the 1.4 and the new 1.5 that can enlighten us with their findings as to the  sonic difference they hear, if any?

Thanks.

Digital Sources: Meitner Audio MA3 DAC, AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt, Roon ROCK (NUC8i5, Akasa Plato 8x case, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1TB SSD), UpTone Audio EtherREGEN, Tidal, Qobuz. Preamplifier: none. Power Amplifier: Bel Canto e.One REF500S. Loudspeakers: GoldenEar One.R's with Herbie’s Threaded Stud Glider footers, Focal Stellia headphones. Cables: digital - Wireworld Starlight 8 Ethernet, StarTech SFPGLCLHSMST single-mode 1310nm SFP module and Small Green Computer 1 GB FMC connected by Corning LC-LC single-mode 9/125um duplex fiber; speaker - Silversmith Audio Fidelium; interconnect - Silversmith Audio Fidelium XLR; AC - Wireworld Silver Electra 7 and Electra 7; external clock - Auralis Audio Duelund Pure Silver BNC. Accessories: Power supplies - UpTone Audio JS-2’s (no stock PS’s); OCXO clock for ER - Project Clay X Geismann OCXO 10MHz Emperor Signature edition 75 Ohm; cable risers - AudioQuest Fog Lifters; power conditioning - PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3, AudioQuest Jitterbugs; AC receptacle - PS Audio Powerport Classic, Block Audio C-Lock Lite; vibration isolation - IsoAccoustic Orea Graphite footers (amps), Symposium Accoustics RollerBlock Jr's w/Tungsten balls for DAC. Room: 26' 2" W x 11' 6" D x 7' 9" H, heavily absorbent furnishings, plaster walls, suspended and carpeted wood floor.