IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

19 hours ago, RickyV said:

My VM-1a uses one 6sn7 from Tung-Sol and I am looking to replace it. What would you or @Nenon recommend? What is the replacement you are waiting for if I may ask?

Tier A: Pope 6sn7 (NOS), Linlai Global elite and Shuguang WE6SN7 PLUS...  Nenon uses Shuguang WE6SN7 PLUS, but you'll never find them anymore as the factory closed.  You can probably source the non-plus version however, but why bother if you have a reliable seller of new tubes right here:  https://linlaiglobal.com/index.php/product/linlai-global-elite-e-6sn7-vacuum-tubes-pair-or-single/.   Linlai Global elite are my choice.

Psvane are a good, but runner up to the above according to what I read.

17 hours ago, Nenon said:

I've had some conversations with Emile recently, and he is nearly convinced to sell his custom Mundorf HC caps (220,000 uF) and his Taiko mosfet rectifier to the DIY crowd.

That's potentially interesting - Perhaps Taiko could sell it as a bundle...

2 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

I'm not sure at all that a speaker filter coil can be used as choke without ensuring that the iron core can cope with the power and the air gap is dimensioned properly to avoid saturation. Low DCR is a nice to have, even chokes with highish DCR can do wonders when designed correctly...choke design is an art. 

In a speaker I try to avoid needin coils, but there a  (near) zero Ohm version is great, there a quite a few manufacturers making them BTW, and those are far less expensive than the pharmacy called Mundorf ;-)

Care to name the other manufacturers ? :-)

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Exocer said:

While you’re gearing up for this, (Might I add, I am very excited to hear the results of your testing) I am gearing up for this test:

5715C886-E979-462B-B2FB-3B826277D9EB.thumb.jpeg.49fe6a04c5096b8cf0197992a55bbe0a.jpegD63C5F9A-CD5D-42D8-A795-DA32722A456D.thumb.jpeg.bf78cda101c27a1fb9dcd394d7b8459b.jpeg

I had always wanted to try this IEC inlet so I’ll use this test as an excuse to justify the purchase :). 

The SLS will be used on at least two devices in my chain requiring 5v. There are also 12v and 24v solutions in the SLS series, one of them providing up to 7.2A supposedly. I doubt these are as efficient as the designs discussed here but the prices are hard to ignore. I also cannot validate if the other options are safe to try so please do so at your own risk. @bit01 has been incredibly helpful! Thanks.

If things go as planned, I may have some feedback as early as this evening. My system is in flux at the moment with lots of Mundorf AG caps/SG wire breaking in so any feedback will have to be taken with a grain of salt until everything settles. The test will be revisited in a few months.

Moderately high hopes for the results.

I’m considering using a pair of these Sola SLS for a DIY preamp, will be interested!

2 hours ago, Exocer said:

Lots of updates to share folks:

1. @Marcin_gpswas generous enough to add me to a US demo tour of the Optimo S ATX LPS. I have had the opportunity to compare it to several iterations of the ULPS. More on that later. Worth noting that the brand new 220,000uf cap and/or brand new 22,000uf Mundorf AG were used for these comparisons.

2. I received the Taiko rectifier and large 220,000uf Mundorf HC cap. The goal was to compare it to the Saligny Power rectifier. I unfortunately have not yet done that test, but I know someone else who will. I am able to compare the Saligny standard to the Taiko rectifier.

3. I have replaced the first cap after the rectifier, the Mundorf HC with a Mundorf AG cap. This turned out to be immediately impactful.

4. I compared my DIY Mundorf SG ATX cable + Duelund Cotton oil insulated 20awg solid core copper EPS cables to the cables that come with the Optimo ATX while powering the server with the ULPS.

Here are the conclusions ( numbered in accordance with the above numbers):

1. The Optimo S ATX is really good. Definitely worth building a system around. Anyone with a normal set of ears can distinguish it from the ULPS powering the server. Each will have a rather large impact on the system, all else equal. It is substantially better than my ordinary corsair atx smps gaming power supply.

Strengths:

- It’s exciting, with very good PRAT.

- Clarity and resolution are top notch.

- Low temps with my i9 9900k.

- Easy and straight forward to use. Plenty of outputs. ( I didnt have the proper cable to try the auxiliary outputs).

- Good soundstage width.

- Great imaging and dynamics.

Other observations:

- My system was built around the ULPS so the balance of my system changed in a way I did not prefer. 
- I couldn’t listen as long. I couldn’t engage the way I normally do with the ULPS. This is likely system dependent.
- I didnt notice this until re-installing the ULPS but the soundstage depth with the Optimo was lacking in comparison.

- I dont know how to describe this last one in audiophile terminology, but, I think Gavin nailed it when he said the character of the Optimo was tilted more towards the hi-fi sound. I can see some preferring this approach.

- With all Mundorf Hc caps in the ULPS, the Optimo had a slight edge in clarity. Swapping the Mundorf AG into C1 improved clarity of the ULPS to the point that I now consider them a tie in the area of clarity. Mind you, the Mundorf cap only has a single day of use so there are some surprises to come. 

- I wish vocals had more body and naturalness.

- Its longer than any of my other AV components, including the ulps (which ks taller.

In summary:

The optimo s atx is very good! I will continue to swap it with the ULPS over the next few days. I prefer the sound of the ULPS because it sounds a bit bigger, more authoritative and more natural. The two are very different sq wise. If you get the chance to hear both, take it! I am trying to be as unbiased as possible. I did feel like something was missing until I re inserted the ULPS. 

The cables are also high quality and well made. I preferred my cables. They’re much shorter and unshielded. I dont use shielded cables into the motherboard and this test reminded me of why. They sounded slightly dry in comparison to mine. 

Great job on this Marcin! I’m sure many will be happy with this LPS.

2. My first impression after installing the Taiko rectifier was noticeably improved “slam”, and some improved resolution compared to the Saligny Standard. Instruments had more texture, but with no added harshness. If you were able to pick one up, ENJOY! The large cap is also settling in nicely! It was less noticeable than the rectifier. Almost unnoticeable for the first few hours. The only way I can describe the impact of the large cap is that it just sounds better, everything you love about the ULPS, but improved across the board.

3. Replacing the first Mundorf HC cap with the Mundorf AG improved clarity quite a bit. This unexpected and exciting. I think I can almost sense the reduction of lugs and wire. The sound is more free and open. I have a long way to go in terms of break in with a brand new rectifier and two brand new caps but if the ULPS stayed the way it sounds now I’d be absolutely thrilled. I am not using a bypass cap the AG but hope to test a repurposed ODAM soon. There are plans to try more exotic bypass caps when funds allow.

4. Covered wire comparisons earlier on. I preferred my cables. Test conducted only with the ULPS due to cable length limitations.

Overall - I am absolutely thrilled with the recent changes to my system. Happy listening all!

Cheers,

-RobA1539262-BF34-465B-9890-B6F35393FFA0.thumb.jpeg.45ec3ce7d1cf6b9c8f58985e4f02b89d.jpeg772C94A1-70EC-439A-8CC5-C3F80D79694E.thumb.jpeg.25bca68c239984e11822ec97f91721fc.jpegD18FEE79-847C-41C8-9E13-560D62CEBAE0.thumb.jpeg.14b18fee017708f412ad851aa5a1bfa6.jpeg

Excellent job Rob - really helpful to corroborate what I heard with regards to Optimo S ATX vs ULPS.  The Micro-Audio/HDPlex combo I reviewed also had similar strengths as have you listed, but was slightly more forward and didn’t quite achieve the same level of performance as the JCATs fully regulated rails.  However the Micro-Audio/HDPlex will give you almost the same performance relative to the JCAT but for about 40% of the price.  Go figure… This is why the Micro-Audio/HDPlex combo gets my recommendation for ‘most’ people / systems. As you indicate ULPS can sound very different, you can adjust it via power chord or fuses and it was my keeper because of its natural qualities.

I’m definitely looking forward to trying out the Mundorf AG and bypass caps for the Taiko rectifier.  What size bypass caps are Taiko promoting?

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

Sth new for DIY crowd from JCAT:

BUILD YOUR OWN OPTIMO POWER SUPPLY.

The linear power supply module that is used in our award-winning OPTIMO 3 DUO power supply now availalble to skilled DIY audiophiles.

https://jcat.eu/product/optimo-diy/

L1001469-Edit.thumb.jpg.235b61bae5524ed3c5a6b1f241661b27.jpg

Nice - this will do very well I suspect.  Would be good if there was a meanwell IRM style  / encapsulated transformer to feed it.

• 1 month later...

Do Streacom offer a heat pipe ‘bending tool’?

I like having a trusted source… I just wonder what their diameter is and if they’d also work in HDPlex?  Also, would extending CPU heat pipes further along the heatsink wall of the chassis, by using longer heat pipes, make much difference?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Nenon said:

I have switched back to my DIY DAC, which is in 2 chassis and has 6-rails of DC4 LPS feeding the digital section. But I also accommodated some new improvements on the analog section that I discovered while doing R&D on my preamp. That DAC will likely be replaced next year with something else, but it’s a good fit for now. 

Please tell us more about your DIY DAC!

Anyone tried both JCAT Net XE and Solarflare?

I currently have both, and to be honest I’m finding it difficult to call a winner.  Slight preference towards the Solarflare, because it has a touch more clarity - but it would be nice to dispose of the small noctua fan I use on the Solarflare to keep temps in check (Streamfidelitys heat pipe solution perhaps, afterdark does an fanless sfp card, but no reviews).

But which one scales the best with Etheregen?  Currently using Kedes P3 with it, but no external master clock yet.