IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

On 7/5/2022 at 5:56 PM, RickyV said:

nice products Marcin.

So what will be the options then for cpu cooling? 

Thanks. Noctua has some nice heatsinks that can work passively. 

On 7/5/2022 at 6:06 PM, NewOldman said:

any measurement for the chassi

what MB is it made for,
ATX or SSI EEB

I will post exact dimensions later, but it's Full ATX. So who wants to build on Asus Sage motherboard, should look at Taiko enclosure. The idea behind JCAT enclosure was that it works in tandem with OPTIMO S ATX PSU. I know for a fact that the OPTIMO S ATX works fine powering 2x Xeons, but I can guarantee and recommend only single processor motherboards and CPUs within 95W TDP and those do not need hefty cooling. 

On 7/6/2022 at 4:01 PM, Nenon said:

Marcin - please share more details as those become available. That will be a neat solution for those using the JCAT ATX power supply as it will be matching cases it seems like. 

Exactly. That is the plan. 

Best regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

I'm using the Femto NVME so for the OS I'm covered, it's just that I was looking for larger storage for music files and started going through some options amongst which I found a couple 'military grade' pSLC and that got me started...

Not all pSLC drives sound good. I have an APRO pSLC drive which cost me $750 / 512GB and it sounds really bad. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

1 minute ago, di-fi said:

I can only imagine, like with MLC & LTC drives, one can hear differences. But pSLC seems in general a better performer.
I am just wondering why one would need a 512GB or 320GB (which I suspect for Revelation Audio SSD is 1GB in pSLC) size drive for only the OS?

They make them in that size, but half the size costs half less and so on. A 80GB or 120GB should be plenty for only OS. I read somewhere that smaller is even better in pSLC. It will become available soon I am sure, as we see with APACER (discussed above) available in smaller sizes.

There was a time users had great results with SD cards mounted in PCI slots, remember? Today Kingston makes pSLC SD cards for under 20$ ;-), so I am hopeful for the smaller NVMe pSLC.

Some people use their PCs for other tasks than music playback and then the storage size becomes important. 

The relation of size / sound quality is mainly due to power requirements. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 10 months later...
9 hours ago, di-fi said:

Finding wifi being worse than Ethernet cables, I realize your listening ritual must be a desktop experience to get the best out of the XACT S1.
That seems a significant compromise for whom prefer listening not from behind a desk.

Would a wired iPad (Pro M2?) with « wifi not connected »  have the potential to be comparable in SQ to the M2 Mac Mini to allow for a more flexible choice of listening position? 

My listening ritual is on a sofa with an iPad in my hands. To be able to 'see' XACT S1 in the home network again I have to connect one of the ethernet cables back. It's just for more critical listening I isolate my 'audio' network from my main home network by disconnecting the cable going to router from XACT S1 switch (this is possible once XACT S1 server/player and Mac get their IPs assigned by DHCP server running on the main router).

The first LAN cable on the right connects to router. It's not a big inconvenience.

image.thumb.png.e3770f99e7913d9dfa326f1ab8038db4.png

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

On 8/21/2023 at 4:35 AM, di-fi said:

I am just curious because in your post you seem to suggest in your personal setup by disabling wifi and adding a XACT S1 (switch) you virtually eliminated all network noise resulting in better SQ even for files played directly on the server.
Control point - switch - server

Then you added disconnecting from the router besides not using wifi while only using a M2 Mac Mini to control the XACT S1 server over Ethernet, I get that. In that scenario I tried to suggest you could have the same control point with your iPad (wifi disconnected) over Ethernet to the switch with the advantage of controlling from your listening position instead.

In both scenarios no router and no wifi involved to virtually eliminate all network noise or is there a difference?

with iPad I still need the connection to main router (wifi). 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 1 month later...