IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

8 minutes ago, abase said:

.yes it is - so I must thank you for spend so many information on your website. Today I followed your guide to update the firmware...

Today the card is running over 10 hours ;-). All my single mode transeivers are not working with the card. At the moment I`m using a multimode tranceiver..
I think that is the reason why I`m not satisfy with the sound...

Could be! I always strongly preferred the sound of single mode transceivers.

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I think discussing a chassis for the dual CPU Asus Sage build is right on topic here. 

After more than 4 years of experimentations, 245 pages, and trying many different motherboards and CPUs, nothing comes even close to the dual CPU Asus Sage, at least not on these DIY pages. Not even the custom purpose motherboards with fancy clocks, masterclocks, etc. 

But that dual CPU Asus Sage is quite difficult to passively cool down for multiple reasons. First, it's using a server based CPU with not so popular socket in the AV sector. Second, it has two CPUs. Third, the motherboard size is very big. 

As far as I am aware, only HDPlex has a working solution. HDPlex is pretty good at cooling down one 85W CPU but handling two is pushing the limits of its heatsinks. And as good as this DIY server sounds, if you can drop the temperature a bit, it sounds even better. This is where a better chassis will really shine. And that product does not exist. It will be really cool if you can make one, @AngeloVRA

To give others an idea of how the Asus Sage fits the existing Angelo chassis design:IMG_6380.thumb.jpeg.a698deaf4ab1a6b09c7c60b92105b6fe.jpeg

There is certainly enough space if one were to position the DC-ATX module where I’ve positioned it with my hand. This is more difficult to accomplish with the H5 since it is shorter and the lip of the front panel gets in the way.

For those with Asus Sage builds perhaps it makes sense to start with how we would prefer to handle the LPS. Take a poll?

Who would prefer a 1 box solution vs a 2 box solution?

edit: Yes that is the HDplex 500w I am going to test soon, not the Taiko dc-ATX. Either would work in this position.

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

I own the Taiko DIY chassis today and have been able to heavily upsample for weeks straight without any issue of heat dissipation.  I installed Panzerholz for the ULPS components although can't say definitively whether there was a SQ benefit by doing so.  It did allow for more flexible placement of the supply components.

I have since removed the ULPS components out of the server chassis and back into its own.  It is very difficult to A/B because of the time and effort involved in moving the components around. When I first moved the ULPS into the server chassis I believed I heard a loss of SQ.  After a year of listening with the supply components in the server chassis I moved them out and believe there to be an improvement in SQ.  I don't know if it's expectation bias.  One would think that there is noise generated by the supply that impacts the server components.

My only complaints with the Taiko chassis are that is designed to have the supply inside, so unnecessarily big without, and its backplate for holding down PCI cards is terrible.  Top ventilation could also be better. I'm not sure why they didn't duplicate that from the Extreme. 

My vote would be for a 2 box solution.  Big enough for the Sage motherboard, but capable of other form factors.  Also having enough room for the DC-ATX module.  It would also be nice to be able to install a SOtM sCLK-EX in it, but that may be of limited value.

1 hour ago, JackJohnson316 said:

When I installed the dual cpu sage motherboard into the HDPlex H5 case I had to drill I believe five additional holes in the bottom plate to match the sage stud layout. Some of the holes came very close to the bottom plate ventilation holes. So if there are plans for the sage motherboard diy case, let’s make sure there aren’t any issues with the bottom plate studs. Thanks 

The both of you make very good points.

Today, although the existing baseplate has many holes, they do not all align with the Sage motherboard. So the baseplate plate would require a design change or DIY mod for the Sage to mount perfectly.

I am going to cast my vote for two chassis as well.

Reasons being:

1. One chassis would be massive but you’d still be relatively restricted from a diy perspective. Us tweakers/DIYers would like space to explore different/larger caps, bypass caps etc. Keeping the LPS in a separate spacious chassis helps with flexibility.

2. Two chassis would distribute the weight. You wouldn’t have one massive box to carry.

3. One could experiment with DC input conductors more easily.

Slightly noteworthy topic: The Modushop chassis most of us use for our ULPS (Slimline 3U) offers a nice amount of space/flexibility but the rear/top/bottom panels are particularly flexible. There is room for improvement there.

I realize point 4 is a separate topic but factually, the Slimline 3U can use a beefier base/top/rear plate for strength.

That being said: In a perfect world, the existing Angelo design would be perfect for the Asus Sage C621 if the chassis were:

1. At least an internal height of 120mm to match the Slimline 3U, but not necessarily required.

2. Approximately 4” (100mm) deeper to allow for base plate mounting of the Taiko dc-ATX module.

3. Same width as the existing chassis OR if there is some horizontal space to add several inches (~3”) to the left side of the motherboard to allow for lps modules, a clock module/sclk-ex for those who want to go crazy and try reclocking their sage boards (I’m not interested or adventure enough to do this), but to retain the overall dimensions we have today this would get us relatively close.

I actually like the short brackets vs the long brackets.

4 hours ago, AngeloVRA said:

If the server chassis is repurposed as a power supply chassis, They can use the holes for the Jaeger chassis connector for output.

and cover the I/O panel and PCIE slot openings with a thin aluminum or copper plate from the inside. 

The cover plate for the I/O Panel can then have an IEC connector.  

True! But chassis height becomes a concern, especially if one uses the large Mundorf cap. The 120mm height of the slimline 3U is already almost snug .

4 hours ago, Nenon said:

Met with Jord @Pink Faun at Axpona yesterday, and we talked in depth about his new USB card, and all the development and challenges he ran into before releasing it. 

It has supercaps that take about two minutes to fully charge. But you need to have power on startup, so the computer can initialize the chip and then you need to switch to supercaps power so quickly that the chip cannot detect it (think nanoseconds). 

image.thumb.png.425cb6f9691f984e38b670d01d0880e7.png

Super interested in hearing this someday. It is well out of my price range but surely it’s up there with the best in terms of performance.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, kraftundkultur said:

who is the manufacturer in Budapest, I live here and have not heard of it

I haven’t mentioned the name of the manufacturer 😎. Let’s connect offline just in case they want to keep their anonymity.

For clarity: the conversation discusses the use of heavier gauge ground wire than positive in a dc connection. 

edit: spoke with ceo of Core Audio Hungary (not sure if Budapest) and he’s ok with me sharing that tidbit of our convo.